DO NECK BRACES WORK? a look at what the research says

On 1/11/2019 at 3:19 PM, Tahoe Gator said:

I just got a Leatt Fusion 3.0 from Santa. It’s the only neck brace I’ve worn so take it with a grain of salt, but I can say with confidence it had zero impact on my range of motion as it pertains to riding and seeing the trail ahead. YMMV.

Could be they are making them and knee braces better now.  Better range of motion an materials/engineering that dont pinpoint impacts.  Might look into this again.

1 hour ago, Sycamore said:

Could be they are making them and knee braces better now.  Better range of motion an materials/engineering that dont pinpoint impacts.  Might look into this again.

The newer Leatts, like the 5.5 have a reduced height and allow very good movement. I can only recommend it...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sycamore said:

It's a fair point.  I'm going by memory from a pretty long and dated and sourced thread on KTMtalk.  I wear or did wear knee braces and didnt let the info (femur break))of what could happen get in the way of the other benefits.  I think while if might have been anecdotal it also makes sense and why the individual needs to make up their own mind like I did.  Same for the neck protection.

Tests may or may not be real world so I dont know that you can totally rely on that either.  The long tests on knee braces for foot ball players is a great example of the testing done that could have been done better.  

Good point. I'm not a very experienced rider and I err on the side of caution. I have learned that one of the Leatt knee brace models are listed as a medical device. I plan on asking my physican for a prescription for them and have my insurance cover the cost. I can justify it due to a previous knee injury and we use ATVs and snowmobiles at work on a daily basis. Blue Cross Blue Shield stated that as long as the "certified device" is for a current or previous injury (or the prevention of a reinjury), they will cover it. I asked about neck braces. They said NO due to the fact that it's not a medical device. 

I have a lot of pain in my right knee while riding and times I've had it "buckle". Therefore, I need the support. And no, for all the skeptics, I'm a VERY long ways from being weak. I'm an avid powerlifter/cross fit'r. I'll brag a little....to say I'm stronger than average is a huge understatement. 

Edited by BUNK657

Good point. I'm not a very experienced rider and I err on the side of caution. I have learned that one of the Leatt knee brace models are listed as a medical device. I plan on asking my physican for a prescription for them and have my insurance cover the cost. I can justify it due to a previous knee injury and we use ATVs and snowmobiles at work on a daily basis. Blue Cross Blue Shield stated that as long as the "certified device" is for a current or previous injury (or the prevention of a reinjury), they will cover it. I asked about neck braces. They said NO due to the fact that it's not a medical device. 
I have a lot of pain in my right knee while riding and times I've had it "buckle". Therefore, I need the support. And no, for all the skeptics, I'm a VERY long ways from being weak. I'm an avid powerlifter/cross fit'r. I'll brag a little....to say I'm stronger than average is a huge understatement. 
Bro Crossfit is a cult, get out now.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, HevyRotashunz said:
On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 10:52 AM, BUNK657 said:

Read more  

Bro Crossfit is a cult, get out now.

I know, right?!  When i say crossfit I really mean High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT).  I know what you mean though.  Some people take themselves WAY too serious when it comes to "crossfit".   

• Like 2

On 1/13/2019 at 7:52 AM, BUNK657 said:

-crossfit

-strong 

pick one. 

On 1/13/2019 at 7:52 AM, BUNK657 said:

. I'm an avid powerlifter/cross fit'r. I'll brag a little....to say I'm stronger than average is a huge understatement. 

Power lifting explains it.

You know that being a power lifter and a cross fitter is like being a vegetarian that eats  chicken. 

4 hours ago, HevyRotashunz said:
7 hours ago, BUNK657 said:

I know, right?!  When i say crossfit I really mean High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT).  I know what you mean though.  Some people take themselves WAY too serious when it comes to "crossfit".   

Read more  

I love the HIIT too. What i need is a nutritionist/ menu planner.

I volunteer. ?

If this can work for a Hawaiian Triathlon competitor, it can work for you.

Worked for me. Was 224, now 175.

I hate feeling hungry or counting calories. No need to when you're eating right; everything falls into place on it's own.

https://www.marksdailyapple.com/

Edited by Beta300recat

I love the HIIT too. What i need is a nutritionist/ menu planner.

drop meat and dairy and you’ll lose 10% body weight pretty quickly...at least I did...I kept fish though...basically: if it grew in dirt or swam in water

I did it on advice of doctor to reduce hereditary cardiac disease risk and I am not going back. Weighing 15 lbs less makes everything better more than eating a nice steak or drinking milk does.

3 hours ago, Beta300recat said:

Power lifting explains it.

You know that being a power lifter and a cross fitter is like being a vegetarian that eats  chicken. 

I volunteer. ?

Haha!!! Good one. 

I jump back and forth about every 5-6 weeks on my workouts. I'm on a powerlifting regiment right now. I switched last week because I was losing a lot strength and endurance on my HIIT weight workouts. So, I'll lift heavy/ low reps for a while and take a break. I'll jump back to HIIT, then throw in some high rep light weight and body weight workouts. Variety is where it's at!!

FITT,

FREQUENCY

INTENSITY

TIME

TYPE

In the end whatever works is what works, often different for everyone.  Some people need to immerse themselves in a culture of like minded folks, wouldn't want to have to think for themselves.... crossfit fills a need.

I just wish they'd shut up about it, there's not more smug than a crossfit evangelists....

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, braindead0 said:

In the end whatever works is what works, often different for everyone.  Some people need to immerse themselves in a culture of like minded folks, wouldn't want to have to think for themselves.... crossfit fills a need.

I just wish they'd shut up about it, there's not more smug than a crossfit evangelists....

Ah, sounds like you've never met a vegan crossfitter!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BUNK657 said:

Haha!!! Good one. 

I jump back and forth about every 5-6 weeks on my workouts.  then throw in some high rep light weight and body weight workouts. Variety is where it's at!!

Definitely.

Most of my stuff is light weight high reps. Not going for all-out strength, going for strong, limber connective tissue.

Hiking, bicycling, yoga. it's all about the end result; Enduros on single-track.

My heavy load stuff is my body weight on top of foot pegs.?

20 minutes ago, braindead0 said:

I was doing paleo and cross-fit before they had names. :cheers:

.......................two pieces of bacon for breakfast! I missed scale in that photo; that is a dinner plate and the bacon is 3/8" thick. I didn't eat both, the wife ate the smaller piece.

First Bacon.jpg

3 minutes ago, HansLanda said:

Ah, sounds like you've never met a vegan crossfitter!

........................that went to Burning Man! ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Beta300recat said:

Definitely.

Most of my stuff is light weight high reps. Not going for all-out strength, going for strong, limber connective tissue.

Hiking, bicycling, yoga. it's all about the end result; Enduros on single-track.

My heavy load stuff is my body weight on top of foot pegs.:smirk:

I was doing paleo and cross-fit before they had names. :cheers:

.......................two pieces of bacon for breakfast! I missed scale in that photo; that is a dinner plate and the bacon is 3/8" thick. I didn't eat both, the wife ate the smaller piece.

First Bacon.jpg

........................that went to Burning Man! :lol:

I got over the "ego lifting" a few years ago when I did a complete tear on my left supraspinatus tendon. Back then I would either lift very heavy, or do everything to muscle failure. Now, when I am lifting heavy, I NEVER do a 1 rep max. I always stay at a weight that I can do at least 3-5 without any pain. When I'm in a HIIT cycle, it's all light weight, push ups, pull ups, light tire flips and etc. 

By the way, how did this thread go from neck braces to workouts? Haha, oh well. The back and forth rhetoric has been fun. 

• Like 1

On 1/11/2019 at 11:23 AM, Oregon Comrade said:

What chest protector did you go with?  I use a lightweight 'foam' Leatt, pretty minimalist, but is more for direct impacts from sticks and sharp rocks, it doesn't cover my shoulders.  I don't wear it all the time though.

MSR but they dont sell them anymore.  I have to have shoulder protection.  Elbows too.  I tie they to the shoulder area to keep them in place.

41 minutes ago, Sycamore said:

MSR but they dont sell them anymore.  I have to have shoulder protection.  Elbows too.  I tie they to the shoulder area to keep them in place.

Big fan of the Fox Roost Protector. $89 does it all! Well, no side rib guards but everything else.  Used to have a 661 Defender, but they only do wimpy bicycle stuff now.

(It was formerly the Fox Airframe until the Airframe II came along.)

Edited by Beta300recat
(It was formerly the Fox Airframe until the Airframe II came along.)