endurocross

Are trials bikes more silent than Enduro ?

Hello boys and girls ,

I have myself right now one piece of EXC 200 from 2007 and one piece of KX 125 from '97 .  The problem with them is that they are loud , sure there are ways to improve noise reduction on them , bu they seem more like trial and error , jetting be changed , and it still make a considerable amount of noise .

Did not own a trials before , not any of my friends , i just remember seeing on the youtube posts trials bikes that did not seem so loud . But in videos enduro bikes are also not so loud as in reality , so i might  trick myself and buy something that in reality is just as loud as the motocross bikes .

So the question : are trials bikes a lot more silent that enduros ? based both have similar setting , or stock from the fabric , comparing  an enduro with Qstealth 2  vs a trials bike with silencer taken off is not gonna be a fair comparison .

Quieter and a different note. If you think of riding a trials bike on the trail think again. Between the rake, suspension, standing and ergonomics they are not fun. Now some will chime in as trials are easier and can do anything a endure bike can but that's for an experience fit rider. Flip side trials bikes are a great way to grow your skill on an endure bike in a small area.

That KTM should be very quiet with the original hockey stick muffler on it. The KX was never supposed to be. The quietest bikes I know of are the 4t beta or Montessa trials bikes. Until you rev them up high they sound like a sewing machine.

• Like 1

Trials bikes are extremely quiet. I often joke that the chain slap from an electric bike is louder, but it’s not too far from the truth. 

I love trials and it’s my main form of riding. However I’ve come to realize it’s not for everyone. They aren’t very good to just take out on the trail and it’s hard for new riders to really get a feel for it unless you ride with other trials guys. Even when I take new guys out only about half like it, the other half want nothing to do with it again 😂

Ok , got it , thank you @all

One more question , on my EXC 200 i can go almost  a full day with its 9 liter tank , i have seen 3.5 liter tanks online for trial bikes . Knowing that trials are also ligther , how much should i expect  out of a tank knowing i will ride the same ?

Can get about 12-15 miles out of a stock tank. 

When we ride one tank full lasts us the full day. However that’s riding it as a trials bike and practicing sections. 

• Like 1

I'd say about 30 miles on my Beta 290. Sometimes we'll have a 18-20 mile loop and it'll do that easy plus ride all the sections. I do fill it up between loops though. For a normal trials it'll do all three loops without having to refill.