Dandirt

1973 1974 CR250M Elsinore OE Carb?

Just starting a rebuild of 1973 1974 Honda CR250M Elsinore, what was the original carburetor? Is there a more readily available, maybe slightly newer carb option that I could consider?

IMG_0275.JPG

Before you go too far, I looks like a lot of rust.  Was it left outside in the weather?  If so, especially without a carb, water would have gotten into the bottom end which, to me at least, would make that NOT a good candidate to restore.  A crank, main bearings, entire top end cost would exceed the value by a bunch.

• Like 1

Before you go too far, I looks like a lot of rust.  Was it left outside in the weather?  If so, especially without a carb, water would have gotten into the bottom end which, to me at least, would make that NOT a good candidate to restore.  A crank, main bearings, entire top end cost would exceed the value by a bunch.
Aren't elsinore's going for silly money?
  • Helpful 1

24 minutes ago, 6bt said:
39 minutes ago, motoxvet said:

Aren't elsinore's going for silly money?

Nice ones, maybe.  But it will take silly money and a half if the bottom end is rusty.

• Like 1

I am doing a full engine rebuild, the crank is salvageable. Anyone know what OE carb is?

IMG_0377.JPG

Thanks. I've been looking around and it seems common to go to a Mikuni VM36 for better parts access. I may go that way - sourcing a new one seems relatively easy at around $100.

Thanks. I've been looking around and it seems common to go to a Mikuni VM36 for better parts access. I may go that way - sourcing a new one seems relatively easy at around $100.

Contact Sudco. They’ll likely be very familiar with the optimal Mikuni setup for you, and should be able to supply a brand new, correctly jetted carburetor. It’s a bit more than used, but you’ll spare yourself potential headache trying to dial in a used carburetor which may have issues, including the correct slide, needle, needle jet. They may also be a good source for the proper manifold. Motion Pro can provide a custom throttle cable, but I’m sure there are other sources. A new carburetor can spare a lot of troubleshooting aggravation.

I think you’re going about this the right way. Fully rebuilding everything is the only way to know the condition of our old bikes. If you’re going to race it (), you’ll be glad crank seals or a rod don’t give way after a long drive to a fun event.

Good luck, and please keep us posted.