bengman1233

Thoughts on this bike?

Hey I am thinking of picking up this 2005 Yamaha YZ85. It has been listed for 6 weeks which is why I am second guessing if there is anything seriously wrong with it. Seller claims there is nothing wrong but he also has no knowledge of it ever being rebuilt. He is asking $1500 which I find a little on the steep side but I’ll bring him lower on the price in person. I’m just wondering if you guys can see any problems with it from the pictures as well as what you guys think I should pay for it.

Thanks in advance!

IMG_0661.JPG

IMG_0662.JPG

IMG_0663.JPG

IMG_0664.JPG

IMG_0665.JPG

A few dark pictures and a dark video is no way to properly judge a dirt bike's condition, it has to be seen and inspected in person.

Cruddy/torn air filter would be a instant alarm that the engine probably sucked in dirt and now requires a rebuild.

Excessive play felt in the fork bushings, suspension linkage, wheel bearings meaning spending another few hundred dollars to fix.

Chain, sprockets, roller/slider, brake pads, frayed cables etc etc.

Unseen it could be a 700$ bike needing 800$ in repairs.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

A few dark pictures and a dark video is no way to properly judge a dirt bike's condition, it has to be seen and inspected in person.

Cruddy/torn air filter would be a instant alarm that the engine probably sucked in dirt and now requires a rebuild.
Excessive play felt in the fork bushings, suspension linkage, wheel bearings meaning spending another few hundred dollars to fix.
Chain, sprockets, roller/slider, brake pads, frayed cables etc etc.
Unseen it could be a 700$ bike needing 800$ in repairs.

Thanks for the help! I will be sure to check out those parts when I go to see the bike. Based off the sounds in the video does the engine seem in good condition? It does to me but I’m just making sure.

Ask him if you can take it to a mechanic to get it checked out. Unless of course you know what to look for yourself in person. I'd say if he says no walk away. The guy I bought my cr500af let me take it to my mechanic and I made my offer based on that. He was asking 3k I got it for 2500.

• Like 1