I have been looking to buy a 2018 yz450f since i could get it for a good deal and a 2019 kx450 came up the only thing is that its still in the crate and i was wondering what type of discount i would be getting for buying a crated bike.

5 minutes ago, David Cardenas said:

I have been looking to buy a 2018 yz450f since i could get it for a good deal and a 2019 kx450 came up the only thing is that its still in the crate and i was wondering what type of discount i would be getting for buying a crated bike.

Well for starters whatever they charge for PDI and then double it. 

Dealers (legit ones) will not sell a crated bike. Warranty reasons, and safety. Plus, crates this days are a steel frame box that must be returned to the manufacturer. It takes teh shop monkey under an hour to uncrate and 'prep' a bike, that costs the dealer abut $20.00

3 minutes ago, William1 said:

Dealers (legit ones) will not sell a crated bike. Warranty reasons, and safety. Plus, crates this days are a steel frame box that must be returned to the manufacturer. It takes teh shop monkey under an hour to uncrate and 'prep' a bike, that costs the dealer abut $20.00

And how much do they charge for that"prep"?

1 minute ago, I'm trying said:

Actually, prep is included and rebated by the manufacturer. MX bikes probably get a hour of book time for prep. Dealers that charge prep on top of MSRP are screwing customers. Ditto with shipping unless it is special ordered. Even then, shipping is typically about $100. Doc fees, all scams.

18 minutes ago, William1 said:

Actually, prep is included and rebated by the manufacturer. MX bikes probably get a hour of book time for prep. Dealers that charge prep on top of MSRP are screwing customers. Ditto with shipping unless it is special ordered. Even then, shipping is typically about $100. Doc fees, all scams.

Good to know of the rebate to the dealers. Wasn't aware of that. 

2 hours ago, I'm trying said:

Good to know of the rebate to the dealers. Wasn't aware of that. 

They will deny it. As they will deny being rebated shipping cost (based on FTL) and deny the holdback and other incentives.

30 minutes ago, William1 said:

They will deny it. As they will deny being rebated shipping cost (based on FTL) and deny the holdback and other incentives.

Are you a dealer? I have heard these things before and have tried using them when bargaining with dealers and of course they deny it but i have never heard it confirmed from a dealer...I don’t personally know any.    I’ve had a kawi dealer tell me he would literally lose money on the bike by selling it to me at MSRP without the fees. 

They bullshit potential buyers with these extra fees but then cry when people buy parts online instead of in their stores. 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Is this being sold by a dealer?  If so are you really sure they were trying to sell you the bike in a crate?  Or were they just saying it like, "We've got a new '19 KX here still in the crate"?  

I've never heard of a dealer selling a bike in a crate.  As William pointed out they'd probably get in trouble if the manufacturer found out they were doing that.  That is the whole purpose of a dealership.  They are the interface between the manufacturer and the customer.  If the manufacturer wanted to sell crated bikes, they could just sell direct, ship to your door and cut out the dealerships all together since they are adding no value at that point.

Doc

Edited by Doc_d
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, whitemike said:

Are you a dealer? I have heard these things before and have tried using them when bargaining with dealers and of course they deny it but i have never heard it confirmed from a dealer...I don’t personally know any.    I’ve had a kawi dealer tell me he would literally lose money on the bike by selling it to me at MSRP without the fees. 

They bullshit potential buyers with these extra fees but then cry when people buy parts online instead of in their stores. 

I used to be a FSM for Yamaha. A dealer will say what ever they can to get more money out of you when selling a bike. Very, very few want to give a fair and reasonable deal. Salesmen, F&I, Sales Manager, all are on a commission that is based on the selling price.

The few riders that get crated bikes are typically sponsored racers who in many cases, are not even buying the bike, just riding for the dealers team. In essence, they are employees of the dealership.

Is this being sold by a dealer?  If so are you really sure they were trying to sell you the bike in a crate?  Or were they just saying it like, "We've got a new '19 KX here still in the crate"?  
I've never heard of a dealer selling a bike in a crate.  As William pointed out they'd probably get in trouble if the manufacturer found out they were doing that.  That is the whole purpose of a dealership.  They are the interface between the manufacturer and the customer.  If the manufacturer wanted to sell crated bikes, they could just sell direct, ship to your door and cut out the dealerships all together since they are adding no value at that point.
Doc

Only thing that matters is what your willing to pay. They can adjust the numbers to make your offer work...or not,  and you walk.  Offer should be fair though.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, highmarker said:

Only thing that matters is what your willing to pay. They can adjust the numbers to make your offer work...or not,  and you walk.  Offer should be fair though.

Worked for me, and I was surprised they accepted.  Always worth a shot, provided you're being reasonable. 

Screenshot_20190114-133252_Chrome.jpg.b2292389b6d7c4b68bf0c6d367bb87e5.jpg

On 1/11/2019 at 1:30 PM, I'm trying said:

Dealer prep fees range from $300-750 and very very few have I seen for free unless it's a previous year model they are trying to get rid of. Call in and ask. I picked 3 random dealers listing off CT for that that bike and here's what they list:Screenshot_20190114-133252_Chrome.jpg.b2292389b6d7c4b68bf0c6d367bb87e5.jpgScreenshot_20190114-133027_Chrome.jpg.5a4a8a1c8c1076cdfc87c263a0f50f47.jpgScreenshot_20190114-132851_Chrome.jpg.0c3c4a6e6fe7bc730b95202b69335f35.jpg

I refuse to pay the obnoxious add ons that dealers feel entitled to get. I have no problem buying in a different state and having a bike shipped to me.

Edited by wr250ish