How to Find Die Size for Crankshaft Bolt

The threads on my xr100 crankshaft bolt got damaged and now I need to find a die. How would I measure the bolt to make sure I buy the correct die size?

Buy or borrow a thread gauge. Or take the bolt to your local supplier and have them i.d.  it for youScreenshot_20190111-153901_Google.jpg.95eff67b8fa98fd2741cd197aa56fc4c.jpg

Edited by wr250ish

If just the threads on the end of the crank are damaged you can clean them up with small three sided file or you can round the end off with a flat file to get the same effect as the tool in the video. If the threads that come in contact with the seated nut are damaged you will need a die. Just bring the nut to a nut and bolt or machinery supply store and they can supply the correct size die. Or bring the crank to a machinist and he can dress it up for you.

Buy a new nut. Use that for figuring out the die size. But it would be cheaper to have a machine shop fix it (slip  the guy a $10) Vs. buying a die for $20

my size is 12mm od and 1mm pitch. and yes, the damage is just on the end. so i have a file and all I do is file the end to a cone shape?

7 minutes ago, Judah Gardner said:

my size is 12mm od and 1mm pitch. and yes, the damage is just on the end. so i have a file and all I do is file the end to a cone shape?

Yes