BigYZ2Smoker

Different Colored Plastics... Thoughts?

I have yet to understand why plastic companies such as polisport, cycra, acerbis, rtech, etc don't come release a different color of plastics from the norm. I know the color of dye might would be more expensive but I could see a market for it as I watch bikes builds on youtube and could only imagine what those guys could do with say an all dark purple ktm or blue honda even, hell a yellow kawi. I could see many people at the track rocking it with some crazy graphics kits or colorways as well. 

I don't want a pissing match to start please.... thanks.

• Like 1

I have yet to understand why plastic companies such as polisport, cycra, acerbis, rtech, etc don't come release a different color of plastics from the norm. I know the color of dye might would be more expensive but I could see a market for it as I watch bikes builds on youtube and could only imagine what those guys could do with say an all dark purple ktm or blue honda even, hell a yellow kawi. I could see many people at the track rocking it with some crazy graphics kits or colorways as well. 
I don't want a pissing match to start please.... thanks.

I wondered this myself. I always wanted like a grey colored plastics for my kx250f, I always thought that would look pretty sick. Company’s are too set on the stock sets and that seems to be the way it is. Unfortunately

In 5 minutes I could buy blue, white, black, and yellow plastic for my YZ250.

i can’t imagine any Yamaha rider wanting to use orange, or red  plastic on their bike...or at least not in numbers high enough where the aftermarket manufacturers would consider doing a run.

you two guys are weird 😉😉

Edited by ss-racing
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, ss-racing said:

i can’t imagine any Yamaha rider wanting to use orange, or red  plastic on their bike...or at least not in numbers high enough where the aftermarket manufacturers would consider doing a run.

all basic colors that have been around for decades..... I know a few riders personally who would want a different colored yz or bike in general just to stand out from the crowd. 

1 minute ago, BigYZ2Smoker said:

all basic colors that have been around for decades..... I know a few riders personally who would want a different colored yz or bike in general just to stand out from the crowd. 

Where I come from, you “stand out from the crowd” by leading the race. :smirk:

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1

2 minutes ago, ss-racing said:

Sides, isn’t that what graphics packages are for ?

graphics only cover so much and some people don't like running graphics. It would be cool to do a purple and orange ktm build....

you two guys are weird
I think you hit it on the head. Why bother firing up the injection molder for the dozen sets of purple you might sell? Plus, there are normally "X" number of waste parts shot on the start of a run. If that's, say, 20 pieces, but you are running off 1,000 pieces, no big deal. If it's 20 and you are only selling 50 per year of an oddball color, not so good.

I do wish they did grays for bikes.

15 minutes ago, ss-racing said:

IMG_20190111_172556_310.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, adam728 said:

I think you hit it on the head. Why bother firing up the injection molder for the dozen sets of purple you might sell? Plus, there are normally "X" number of waste parts shot on the start of a run. If that's, say, 20 pieces, but you are running off 1,000 pieces, no big deal. If it's 20 and you are only selling 50 per year of an oddball color, not so good.

I do wish they did grays for bikes.

It would be cool if they would do a "test run" of different colors for bikes and see how they do. If they don't do well, then fine. But if they do well, more sells.... what's the issue? They do gray for ktm's from acerbis.

If you think there is a big market for it, you should get funding and make plastics.  It is fairly simple process compared to many products.

It would be cool if they would do a "test run" of different colors for bikes and see how they do. If they don't do well, then fine. But if they do well, more sells.... what's the issue? They do gray for ktm's from acerbis.
Not my KTM. :( 2011 300 XCW

I've looked for gray front fenders to replace the oem one on my DR as well. Choices are oem or a tiny supermoto. At least last time I looked (a year or more ago)

It's all about marketing. Same reason Red Bull doesn't have their product on the bar gun at the bar. It's all about image. They spent millions of dollars marketing that can...it is their identity. Same thing with the big motorcycle companies. We all know red is a Honda, green Kawasaki, blue Yamaha, yellow Suzuki, Orange KTM. These company have spent millions of dollars to ingrain this in our heads. It's obviously worked. The color of the bike identifies the bike and not many owners would want a different color. We are very particular and partial to our brands.

• Like 1

I know SCRUBdesignz makes some fluorescent plastics for a couple models of bikes but beyond that nothing I can think of. Could probably dye the plastic to a color you want if you can find a full set of white.

they have the anniversary edition plastics and flo yellow for yamaha's

From looking at their catalog they only make certain parts for certain Yamaha bikes in yellow. For my ‘06 (which was the year of the yellow anniversary edition, though mine is blue from the factory) they don’t offer any of the plastics in yellow.