Nicholas Bell

Making WR250F Street Legal

I have a 2007 WR250F that I'd like to make street legal in North Carolina. I have a few questions: Has anybody else used a WR250F as a dual sport? If so how is the reliability and should I be okay with highway usage? I'd imagine the motor could handle it but maybe a bit shakey... Does anybody know how strict the DMV will be on registering my bike? It already has a headlight and tail light but it does not have a high beam and low beam switch, and I don't know if I have to replace the tailight or if I need blinkers. And obviously I will need a side mirror, horn, and key ignition. Not to mention I need DOT approved tires. I love this bike and have taken it on several trails accross the country and have done some street riding on ATV approved roads but I have had minor problems where they require a registered vehicle. If anybody has been through this process before I'd appreciate some advice or information, or if this is even worth it because of the cost just to register it.

In Ohio atleast for my wr450f I had to pay 18$ and fill a change of body affidavit saying I did all required mods to legalize, they didn’t even so much as inspect to see if I really had, then pay for a replacement title blinkers aren’t required here although I do have them. But the requirements for my state are 1 mirror, a horn a brake light license plate light and just a headlight.

I have the tusk 3 way switch with off, although the bike constantly has a tiny light if ignition (button only is on) low beam and high beam turn signal switch and a horn button...

I don’t think a key is even required here and have zero plans to install one

All states have different regulations however so best of luck

I know a few wr250f around that are legalized and seem to have no issues, fearing for interstate needs changed if you plan long enough times on 70mph+ journeys

According to the North Carolina Motorcycle Handbook bike will need a minimum of headlight, taillight, brake light, signal lights, horn, and mirrors. If now one here chimes in you could contact the DMV and ask them what exactly  is required to register. 

NC Dual Sport
https://thumpertalk.com/applications/tapatalk/index.php?/topic/343876-NC-Dual-Sport

It’s nearly identical to the Ohio way and inspection is dependent on the person working the counter that day all in all it cost me 97$ in Ohio your prices may differ 1 off-road title then 18$ for change of body affidavit and another title fee / replacement stating change from or/ off road to mc (motorcycle)

Thanks guys I'll probably call and ask the DMV just to be sure, hopefully I won't run into any other problems. And honestly I would want a key ignition so I don't have to worry about parking my bike.

Thanks guys I'll probably call and ask the DMV just to be sure, hopefully I won't run into any other problems. And honestly I would want a key ignition so I don't have to worry about parking my bike.

I get it, I don’t have a keyed ignition, but that isn’t to say I don’t have a way of killing power to the power button.
Yet, I enjoy watching friend’s and others try to start my 15‘ wr even when everything is connected as stock.

The 12-15 wr450f is notorious for having issues with the e-start not being the greatest.
Even if hot or cold there is a special method that stumps others.

I’m in a low crime area and don’t have to worry. I have a key kit just never installed knowing I wouldn’t use it haha