Cheap Weekend Warrior Bike -

For trails and steep hills.

1) Automatic Trans

2) Liquid Cooled

3) 125 - 250 cc's

4) Men's Adult Bike

Cheap. I don't care about quality. This bike is gonna be used a few times a year. I just want the cheapest price. 

Can anyone tell me where to go ?

Edited by David McClintock

You might try the land of unicorns.  I'm sure you will find this bike sold there.

In all seriousness.  I dont think the combination of characteristics that you have described exists.  Not watercooled, but a good solid reliable trail bike is the CRF230F or TTR230.  Could maybe add an autoclutch (not automatic transmission because you still have to shift it with your left foot).  These hold their value (if purchased used) and are low tech and pretty rock solid reliable.  I dont know any adult motorcycles that are auto transmission.    Of course, they make auto transmission ATVs so that might be a route to consider.

The problem with cheap bikes is many may be low quality and wont even be reliable the couple of times a year that you use them (e.g. chinese bikes).

• Like 1

Honda Africa Twin DCT is liquid cooled, automatic, adult men's sized and cheap compared to a BMW R1200GS Adventure.  Do I win?

Edited by Doc_d
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, SilvFx said:

You might try the land of unicorns.  I'm sure you will find this bike sold there.

In all seriousness.  I dont think the combination of characteristics that you have described exists.  Not watercooled, but a good solid reliable trail bike is the CRF230F or TTR230.  Could maybe add an autoclutch (not automatic transmission because you still have to shift it with your left foot).  These hold their value (if purchased used) and are low tech and pretty rock solid reliable.  I dont know any adult motorcycles that are auto transmission.    Of course, they make auto transmission ATVs so that might be a route to consider.

The problem with cheap bikes is many may be low quality and wont even be reliable the couple of times a year that you use them (e.g. chinese bikes).

Got something online

140 cc  ............................. MADE IN CHINA .....................$700.00 .................. Brand New + free shipping    ..... Manual

125 cc ...............................MADE IN CHINA....................... $600.00 .........................Brand New + free shipping .................. FULLY AUTOMATIC

250 cc ...............................MADE IN CHINA .........................$1500.00 .....................Brand New + free shipping ...... Manual

All dirt bikes are Air Cooled.

Are these good prices? I'm new at this. Just a weekend warrior type thing to see if I like it .... I don't wanna spend thousands to see if I like the sport.

13 minutes ago, Doc_d said:

Honda Africa Twin DCT is liquid cooled, automatic and cheap compared to a BMW R1200GS Adventure.  Do I win?

those links are broke so no

My comment was a bit of a joke because there are very few liquid cooled automatic dirt oriented motorcycles. 

SilvFx gave you good advice.  Buy a used Honda CRF230F or Yamaha TT-R 230.  They are bullet proof.  They are great adult beginner bikes. Parts are available at every dealer and online.  If you maintain it well you can sell it for 80-100% of what you paid for it if you decide to move up to a bigger bike or decide you don't like the sport.

Compare that with a Chinese bike that is worthless the day after you buy it, will probably break on it's first hard trail ride and probably won't have parts available.  Sometimes cheap is expensive.

Doc

Edited by Doc_d
  • Like 3

Well to be honest....I have spent no time reading up on the Chinese Bikes.  Like everything else they may be improving in quality and I havent begun to notice.  I can tell you that I have seen zero on the offroad trails that I ride in Colorado (they may be out there, but I dont see them yet)

There is a forum here on ThumperTalk for Chinese Bikes:

https://thumpertalk.com/forums/forum/207-chinese/

You can read up more there about models, issues, reliability, resale, etc.

I think you will find that the general consensus here on the 'What Bike Should I Buy' forum is that the Chinese bikes are not reliable and not worth considering.  Aircooled trail bikes such as mentioned above if purchased used in very good or excellent condition (and kept that way) can be resold for almost what you bought them for.

For example, when my kids were learning, I purchased an '06 CRF150F for $1650 (this was probably 8-9 years ago).  We rode it for two years and resold it for $1575. And it sold within 24 hours.  I probably could have asked for more.  Bought a CRF100F for $1250.  Rode that for two seasons.  Sold for $1250.  Bought '03 XR80 (same as CRF80F) for $800.  Rode for two seasons.  Sold for $800.  Now if you overpay, dont maintain it,  or if you buy new, you could lose some bigger money if you turn it within a year or two.

Now, all of these are aircooled (not watercooled).  Even the older ones hold their value since they arent high tech and there arent big design changes or improvements from year to year.  None are automatic, but its not difficult to learn how to use a clutch and shift them.  Here is a more complete list of potential Japanese aircooled trail bikes that are good for beginners.  You also didnt mention your size.  Some of these are smaller with 19"/16" wheels, some are 'full size" with 21"/18" wheels. Depending on your age, height and weight you might want the larger, full size ones.

• CRF230F
  • CRF150F
  • CRF100F
  • CRF125F Big Wheel
  • TT-R 125 LE
  • TT-R 230
  • KLX-140G
  • KLX-140L
  • DRZ-125L

Good luck with your research.

hah...just looked up the Africa Twin.  With MSRP starting around $15K and a modest 508 lbs.  but does meet the automatic transmission requirement.  Might be a handful on steep trails and hills.  😉

• Like 1

Height 5'11

Weight 190 lbs

Adult

Buying used is a risk. Buying Chinese is a risk. Either way it's a risk. So I'm going to try this brand new Made in China bike for $1500 and see what happens. I am taking it out into the wilderness 200 miles from cell phone service. Hopefully it doesn't crap out on me.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, David McClintock said:

Height 5'11

Weight 190 lbs

Adult

Buying used is a risk. Buying Chinese is a risk. Either way it's a risk. So I'm going to try this brand new Made in China bike for $1500 and see what happens. I am taking it out into the wilderness 200 miles from cell phone service. Hopefully it doesn't crap out on me.

For 1500 get a ttr or crf trail bike. Forget about liquid cooled and auto trans and you'll have a reliable air cooled trail bike. Clutches are used for more than just shifting and have an advantage offroad vs auto.

2 hours ago, David McClintock said:

Height 5'11

Weight 190 lbs

Adult

Dibs on your stuff.   😁

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, David McClintock said:

I keep looking for a grammar mistake or a typo, perhaps the "I am taking it" is missing a "not"? If written as intended, I question your life choices. You're going to rely on a $1500 Chinese piece of junk to take you 200 miles into the wilderness? Unless you have a Bear Grylls support crew or a PLB and a buddy with a helicopter, I would reconsider.

• Haha 1

On 1/14/2019 at 1:06 AM, Horgh said:

I keep looking for a grammar mistake or a typo, perhaps the "I am taking it" is missing a "not"? If written as intended, I question your life choices. You're going to rely on a $1500 Chinese piece of junk to take you 200 miles into the wilderness? Unless you have a Bear Grylls support crew or a PLB and a buddy with a helicopter, I would reconsider.

im not sure if it was a typo or if it was intended hahaha