New 2018 Xtrainer stopped running

I'm curious if anyone has any ideas on this. I purchased a brand new Xtrainer 2018 from a beta dealer. I have 36 miles on it. I was riding yesterday and was in 2nd gear and the engine cut out. The bike would not start and would not bump start. You could hear the starter try to engage but not turnover. It seemed like the engine seized up. My gears seem weird as well. 

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks 

Edited by bagman2

Did it turn-over when you tried the bump start? If it seized, the rear tire would just skid. With it being new I would just take it to the dealer OR have him come and get it. How do you know the gears are weird with it not running?

Hi mtdirtbag

The rear tire skidded when I tried bump start. The bike is at the dealer now. 6 month warranty.

1st and 2nd felt strange when trying to bump start. Neutral was weird too. Things felt jammed up and a lot of space between the gears. Thanks for the follow up

Please let me know your thoughts on what I should do. The shop let me know I had a crankcase bearing failure at 36 miles on new 2018 beta. Should I ask for new engine since the bike had 6 month warranty or rebuild. I'm worried that if rebuild I might have issue down the road outside of 6 month warranty. Thanks 

1 hour ago, bagman2 said:

Please let me know your thoughts on what I should do. The shop let me know I had a crankcase bearing failure at 36 miles on new 2018 beta. Should I ask for new engine since the bike had 6 month warranty or rebuild. I'm worried that if rebuild I might have issue down the road outside of 6 month warranty. Thanks 

Get rebuilt and then remove the oil injection. Only thing that would cause a crank bearing to go out in 36 miles would be no oil or very little oil. Remove oil injection will put the responsibility on you (pre mix) which is failsafe with regard to two stroke engine lubrication.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, shrubitup said:

Get rebuilt and then remove the oil injection. Only thing that would cause a crank bearing to go out in 36 miles would be no oil or very little oil. Remove oil injection will put the responsibility on you (pre mix) which is failsafe with regard to two stroke engine lubrication.

Unless the factory damage it when they assembled it. OI not working would not have done this in this short of time IF the dealer had break in oil in the gas or oil in OI line.

30 minutes ago, Beta300recat said:

/\/\/\/\

Big 'if' right thar.. :smirk:

Yes it is but I still think even if the dealer had no oil in both places, the bearing wouldn't have failed in this short time. Since we are all speculating, did the OP take his new bike right out the dealer's showroom and pin it WFO for 36 miles?? As believable as the Dealer forgetting oil in the gas and in OI tank.

1 hour ago, weantright said:

1) no oil in both places, the bearing wouldn't have failed in this short time.

2) Since we are all speculating, did the OP take his new bike right out the dealer's showroom and pin it WFO for 36 miles??

3) As believable as the Dealer forgetting oil in the gas and in OI tank.

1) Disagree; piston would have gone first.

2) Seriously? :rolleyes: (See #1)

3) See #1

Edited by Beta300recat

1 hour ago, Beta300recat said:

1) Disagree; piston would have gone first.

2) Seriously? :rolleyes: (See #1)

3) See #1

No one was talking about piston, just the bearing that was damaged. You confirmed that oil WAS there or the piston would have gone first. So we are back to a post 7hrs. ago.:facepalm:

3 hours ago, weantright said:

No one was talking about piston, just the bearing that was damaged. You confirmed that oil WAS there or the piston would have gone first. So we are back to a post 7hrs. ago.:facepalm:

Thanks to everyone that replied. The bike had oil and transmission oil as well. The dealer had the bike setup correctly, he is a top 20 beta dealer in the country. The top half of the engine seems to be fine who really knows.  Looks like all the damage was the bottom half. I did correctly break the bike in and changed the transmission oil after first break in ride. I did not see any large pieces of metal. I waiting to hear if beta is going to replace with new factory engine. 

2 minutes ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

How many hours are in 36 miles on a Xtrainer with a rookie owner?

Take the bike to the dealer for evaluation.

If you read the post correctly I already took it back to the dealer. You must be a rookie reader 4 hours on the engine 

• Like 1

If you read the post correctly I already took it back to the dealer. You must be a rookie reader 4 hours on the engine 

In all honesty I only read your 1st post. The pissing match later caught my attention.  

Don't be offended by rookie my friend. I didn't mean it to be offensive.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

In all honesty I only read your 1st post. The pissing match later caught my attention.

Don't be offended by rookie my friend. I didn't mean it to me offensive.

Cool 

Cool 

In case you're interested I also own an XT and happen to work for a bearing manufacturer. Your failure was either contamination or incorrect installation. If it was lubrication related a new engine won't solve anything, it will fail again. Like my neighbor wearntright said, the piston likely would of failed long before if it was lubrication related though.

Best of luck.

Sorry about the typos. Sitting at an airport bar in Salt Lake City on a 18 hour travel day...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

Sorry about the typos. Sitting at an airport bar in Salt Lake City on a 18 hour travel day...

If it's Squatter's in concourse C or Gordon Biersch upstairs you'll be okay. (Story of my life, LOL.) 🍺🍸🍷

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

In case you're interested I also own an XT and happen to work for a bearing manufacturer. Your failure was either contamination or incorrect installation. If it was lubrication related a new engine won't solve anything, it will fail again. Like my neighbor wearntright said, the piston likely would of failed long before if it was lubrication related though.

Best of luck.

Hey thanks for the info. I appreciate it