Jump to content
bagman2

New 2018 Xtrainer stopped running

Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

No problem. Sorry about coming across as a dick. I should of read all of your posts before replying.

 

Keep us posted on what happens.

 

It's cool I should have not reacted like that, thanks I will keep you posted, I believe beta USA is going to step up as and take care of it

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, bagman2 said:

Please let me know your thoughts on what I should do. The shop let me know I had a crankcase bearing failure at 36 miles on new 2018 beta. Should I ask for new engine since the bike had 6 month warranty or rebuild. I'm worried that if rebuild I might have issue down the road outside of 6 month warranty. Thanks 

Thanks to everyone that replied. The bike had oil and transmission oil as well. The dealer had the bike setup correctly, he is a top 20 beta dealer in the country. The top half of the engine seems to be fine who really knows.  Looks like all the damage was the bottom half. I did correctly break the bike in and changed the transmission oil after first break in ride. I did not see any large pieces of metal. I waiting to hear if beta is going to replace with new factory engine. 

You can ask for a new motor but I don't think it's worth it. No issues with a rebuild and most likely a warranty comes with it so you will be no better off with new. Beta might replace the motor for easy of warrantee and have the old one to review closer in house. It is easy to see if the top end was effected with simple 2t design. Worst case new piston and rings but unlikely anything was damage.

12 hours ago, Babyarmholdingapple said:

Call the dealer and google American Beta in Paso Robles with all your documents  give them a call and share all your concerns and hopefully they can expedite the repair process so you can move on to the next morecommon Beta Issues 

Before I go this route I would give the dealer his time solving this. Otherwise too many Cooks in the kitchen will only slow the process as well as may piss off the person you really don't want pissed,,,, the dealer.

Edited by weantright

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Babyarmholdingapple said:

Call the dealer and google American Beta in Paso Robles with all your documents  give them a call and share all your concerns and hopefully they can expedite the repair process so you can move on to the next morecommon Beta Issues 

Don't make him guess, come right out and tell him...........................

 

The Beta's are notoriously under-sprung for overweight riders. :busted:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Beta300recat said:

Don't make him guess, come right out and tell him...........................

 

The Beta's are notoriously under-sprung for overweight riders. :busted:

Hi, thanks for the reply. Beta USA is sending a brand new factory engine no charge. That is great custom service. They really stand behind their bikes. I'm betting that other dirt bike manufacturers would not do that. With most of them your just another number. Beta USA took care of this in 2 days Wow...👍

How many others even offer a warranty like Beta

  • Like 4
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bagman2 said:

Hi, thanks for the reply. Beta USA is sending a brand new factory engine no charge. That is great custom service. They really stand behind their bikes. I'm betting that other dirt bike manufacturers would not do that. With most of them your just another number. Beta USA took care of this in 2 days Wow...👍

How many others even offer a warranty like Beta

By the way I'm 130 lbs with my gear. I can't figure out why folks purchased XT that are to big for the bike. All they do is complain about it. It was specifically built for a smaller ride. They should go but RR 300...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, bagman2 said:

By the way I'm 130 lbs with my gear. I can't figure out why folks purchased XT that are to big for the bike. All they do is complain about it. It was specifically built for a smaller ride. They should go but RR 300...

LMAO.  No offense intended but 36 miles on an Xtrainer isn't much experience to draw from for dispensing this kind of advice.

I'm 6'2" 210 lbs wet and 240 lbs with the gear shown below.  I know at least three other riders my size or bigger over on the Xtrainer Facebook group.  One is 6'6" and 280 lbs (he also rides a trials bike too.)  All of us chose the Xtrainer for its light weight, tractable power, compact chassis, low seat height, and tight turning radius.  If we wanted to be on bigger bikes we would be.

The vast majority of Xtrainer complaints from riders of any size involve the cheap stock suspension.  Its shortcomings, when compared to a more expensive full-featured enduro suspension, are design-related, not rider size-related (assuming proper spring rate for the particular rider.)

20180510.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, wwguy said:

LMAO.  No offense intended but 36 miles on an Xtrainer isn't much experience to draw from for dispensing this kind of advice.

I'm 6'2" 210 lbs wet and 240 lbs with the gear shown below.  I know at least three other riders my size or bigger over on the Xtrainer Facebook group.  One is 6'6" and 280 lbs (he also rides a trials bike too.)  All of us chose the Xtrainer for its light weight, tractable power, compact chassis, low seat height, and tight turning radius.  If we wanted to be on bigger bikes we would be.

The vast majority of Xtrainer complaints from riders of any size involve the cheap stock suspension.  Its shortcomings, when compared to a more expensive full-featured enduro suspension, are design-related, not rider size-related (assuming proper spring rate for the particular rider.)

20180510.jpg

All I'm saying is everyone knows the suspension is super soft. You see that info all over so if you know that why complain about it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, bagman2 said:

All I'm saying is everyone knows the suspension is super soft. You see that info all over so if you know that why complain about it? 

  1. Aside from the inferior stock suspension, the Xtrainer is a very capable trail and/or hard enduro bike, so it's natural to pine for one with a good suspension.
  2. There's no comparably sized 300cc compact two-stroke enduro bike on the market, from any manufacturer.
  3. Beta doesn't offer an upgraded Xtrainer version with full enduro suspension (i.e. Xtrainer Race Edition etc.) So the only way to get one is to toss the OEM suspension and bolt on aftermarket components.
  4. All of that means that the available options for riders like me are a) buy an Xtrainer and invest in replacing the suspension or b) Buy a 300RR and invest in lowering it, but even then the RR chassis is bigger and the turning radius is tighter.  Height, chassis size, and turning radius all factor into the ability to negotiate tight mountain singletrack and switchbacks.

I don't have a video handy that shows the difference riding an Xtrainer around tight switchbacks vs. a 300RR or 300XCW etc., so you'll have to take my word for it that I can ride around some switchbacks that others have to do multi-point turns to negotiate.  In terrain like shown in my video below bike agility and the ability to dab with either foot, and sometimes both feet, is crucial.  Sometimes it's the difference between falling off the mountain or not.  (I've done it both ways and "not" is by far my favorite.)
 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bagman2 said:

By the way I'm 130 lbs with my gear. I can't figure out why folks purchased XT that are to big for the bike. All they do is complain about it. It was specifically built for a smaller ride. They should go but RR 300...

Ha ha!

That is great news! 

I was ribbing fetuswithahuckleberryinitsmitt for falling below (or above, your choice) the weigh standards of an enduro athlete. :smirk:

Must be all those calories from too much orange koolaid. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wwguy said:

LMAO.  No offense intended but 36 miles on an Xtrainer isn't much experience to draw from for dispensing this,......

My fault for leading him astray.

My apologies to both of you. :cheers:

 

 

 

 

1 hour ago, wwguy said:


 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Beta300recat said:

Ha ha!

That is great news! 

I was ribbing fetuswithahuckleberryinitsmitt for falling below (or above, your choice) the weigh standards of an enduro athlete. :smirk:

Must be all those calories from too much orange koolaid. 

My bike is white and at 217 poundsapound lighter than the Xtrainer with far better suspension and electronics that due not mimic the old Lucus stuff from England.  

Plus that cramped frame on my Xtrainer cramped the babyarm.  

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, wwguy said:
  1. Aside from the inferior stock suspension, the Xtrainer is a very capable trail and/or hard enduro bike, so it's natural to pine for one with a good suspension.
  2. There's no comparably sized 300cc compact two-stroke enduro bike on the market, from any manufacturer.
  3. Beta doesn't offer an upgraded Xtrainer version with full enduro suspension (i.e. Xtrainer Race Edition etc.) So the only way to get one is to toss the OEM suspension and bolt on aftermarket components.
  4. All of that means that the available options for riders like me are a) buy an Xtrainer and invest in replacing the suspension or b) Buy a 300RR and invest in lowering it, but even then the RR chassis is bigger and the turning radius is tighter.  Height, chassis size, and turning radius all factor into the ability to negotiate tight mountain singletrack and switchbacks.

I don't have a video handy that shows the difference riding an Xtrainer around tight switchbacks vs. a 300RR or 300XCW etc., so you'll have to take my word for it that I can ride around some switchbacks that others have to do multi-point turns to negotiate.  In terrain like shown in my video below bike agility and the ability to dab with either foot, and sometimes both feet, is crucial.  Sometimes it's the difference between falling off the mountain or not.  (I've done it both ways and "not" is by far my favorite.)
 

 

I need to come out to Idaho and ride with you this summer!! That is awesome.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mode12 said:

I need to come out to Idaho and ride with you this summer!! That is awesome.

I have ridden Idaho and it is awesome,  in all fairness so was Washington Colorado Utah and the entire state of California.  Everyone should seek out a far out place and ride stuff you have never seen. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bagman2 said:

All I'm saying is everyone knows the suspension is super soft. You see that info all over so if you know that why complain about it. 

Here is a great video on XT suspension 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bagman2 said:

Here is a great video on XT suspension 

 

No doubt. Barry makes some great videos that are both well thought out and highly entertaining. 

But the Xtrainer suspension solution that brought him the most value (i.e. satisfaction for the price point) in that video was a custom job by an Australian shop with limited availability to riders around the world.  We have several suspension pros here in the USA, some Xtrainer riders themselves, that also claim to have done similarly.  But all of them are one-off solutions, and different shops are approaching the problems and solutions uniquely.

With the 2019 version just recently released, the Xtrainer is now on its 5th model year and it continues to gain in popularity.  So it would seem that a few best-practices, standardized approaches, or even new solutions from mainstream manufacturers, might emerge.  But disappointingly that doesn't seem to be the case.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Recently rejoined TT (former Orange bike rider) considering a new Xtrainer. Following along the suspension comments above, I noticed Beta offered a more upscale package not directly through the BYOB link, but instead through the Beta Suspension custom order link also at the top of their website.

 

It offers modified 300RR Race Edition stuff with Sachs CC forks.

 

http://betasuspension.com/new-or-used-bike/choose-your-new-model/new-xtrainer-lowering-options/new-xtrainer-suspension-packages/

Aside from making it a 10K bike (this isn't a value question) does anybody have an opinion on how this setup might perform?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, bbal08 said:

Recently rejoined TT (former Orange bike rider) considering a new Xtrainer. Following along the suspension comments above, I noticed Beta offered a more upscale package not directly through the BYOB link, but instead through the Beta Suspension custom order link also at the top of their website.

 

It offers modified 300RR Race Edition stuff with Sachs CC forks.

 

http://betasuspension.com/new-or-used-bike/choose-your-new-model/new-xtrainer-lowering-options/new-xtrainer-suspension-packages/

Aside from making it a 10K bike (this isn't a value question) does anybody have an opinion on how this setup might perform?

It performs great but at a cost that is unrealistic. Factory shock option priced at an Ohlins price but too new for any reviews. Plenty of options for less and with the same end results.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×