Taylor888

Bad stator? No spark 1986 Honda Xr100r

New points, new plug, new kill switch. Points and plug are properly gapped. Checked kill switch operation with multimeter. It’s good. Resistance measurement on the primary and secondary side of ignition coil is good. Resistance across spark plug cap is good.

Following the factory manual for testing the stator, with the F mark on the flywheel aligned with the index mark, I get continuity. The manual says to replace the stator if this happens. I’m guessing this means there’s a short somewhere in the windings. 

Before I do this, I wanted to check with you guys to see if you have any better ideas. 

Also, if I have to replace the stator, I’m assuming a CDI conversion is the right thing to do. Do you agree?

Edited by Taylor888

Have you spun the engine over with a drill then tested the wires coming from the engine with a multi meter. One should be around 200 volts, and the other should be less than 1. If you get no reading from the wires, you could try to rewrap it instead of buying a new one. It's like 5 dollars to re wrap it.

I would just get a complete OEM CDI ignition.  Even if you rewrap it and it works, you still have points ignition.  You can get them use on ebay for about $150.

Thank you all for your help. I'm going to convert from the old points ignition system to a CDI system. I searched and read all of the posts about CDI conversion and while I couldn't find one post that covered the details of the conversion, the attached pic from socalxr really helped. Here's what I plan to do. If you wouldn't mind, please let me know if you see any issues.

Remove the old coil, spark plug wire and cap, wire harness, stator and flywheel. 

Purchase from ebay from a 1992 or newer XR100R a

• Stator,
  • Flywheel (also called a Rotor), 
  • CDI Ignition Module (also referred to as a "rev limiter" or "CDI box"),
  • Wire Harness, and
  • Coil, including spark plug wire and cap.

I have three loose ends that I need to figure out:

1. I understand there is an issue with the key that aligns the flywheel on the crankshaft. The existing key with the old points ignition system doesn't work with the new flywheel. I'm not exactly sure why, but I understand there are two solutions. First, order a "stepped key", not sure exactly from where. Or fit the flywheel on the shaft as best as possible without the benefit of the key. Torque it down tight. Run the engine then re-torque. I'd prefer to buy the stepped key. Any suggestions on where I can get it?
  2. How do I ensure the bolt holes on the stator that I buy will properly line up with the holes in the engine? Is there model or model year I should look for when buying the stator?
  3. No matter which stator I buy, I'm assuming I'll need to buy a new oil seal.

Any thoughts? Have I forgotten anything? 

I appreciate you guys.

image.png.8ed4fff4aaf5192f50727a5612177c81.png