Tires for Baja-KTM 500

Hello, I need some help and input from riders that have experience riding in Baja. Will be my first trip down there and I am not certain of the terrain. I am going on a trip starting from San Diego in late January where I will be riding on the pavement to Ensenada. From there it will be mostly dirt all the way to the tip but there will be times when I will be on the road as well. I am looking for a very durable tire that wears well is highly puncture resistant and will have some good tread left when I get to the tip. I am assuming approximately 1200 miles over 6 or 7 days. I plan to use Micheline Ultra Heavy Duty tubes with slime. I realize some use Moouse or other but this is my current thinking on flat proofing. 

Any input on my top  Tire choices would be great. Any other awesome tires I have missed would also be appreciated. 

Here are my current top choices in order of preference

REAR:

1. Motoz Tractionator Desert HT- Supposed long life and durability. 

2. Michelin Cross AC10- This seems to be a favorite of some. Seems durable and apparently good about not getting punctures. 

3. Michelin Desert Race-Don't know much about this tire but some reviews seem to say it durable and very heavy duty. 

4. Motoz Arena Hybrid-

FRONT:

1. Shinko MX 216

2. Shinko 546-9100

3.Motoz Mountain Hybrid

4. Micheline AC10

Edited by ADVDude
Clairification

I personally don’t know those tires, maxxis desert it or kenda Parker’s would get my vote.

And you should go mousses. Most high mile riders use them, for good reason.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BMRFlagstaff said:

I personally don’t know those tires, maxxis desert it or kenda Parker’s would get my vote.

And you should go mousses. Most high mile riders use them, for good reason.

BMRflagstaff

I have heard that Mousses do not last more that about 600 miles and after that they don't work well. I have no experience however and have never talked to anyone that has. If you could lead me to more information on a mousse that will last at least 1200 miles of hard use that would be great to know about. 

Hello, I need some help and input from riders that have experience riding in Baja. Will be my first trip down there and I am not certain of the terrain. I am going on a trip starting from San Diego in late January where I will be riding on the pavement to Ensenada. From there it will be mostly dirt all the way to the tip but there will be times when I will be on the road as well. I am looking for a very durable tire that wears well is highly puncture resistant and will have some good tread left when I get to the tip. I am assuming approximately 1200 miles over 6 or 7 days. I plan to use Micheline Ultra Heavy Duty tubes with slime. I realize some use Moouse or other but this is my current thinking on flat proofing. 

Any input on my top  Tire choices would be great. Any other awesome tires I have missed would also be appreciated. 

Here are my current top choices in order of preference

REAR:

1. Motoz Tractionator Desert HT- Supposed long life and durability. 

2. Michelin Cross AC10- This seems to be a favorite of some. Seems durable and apparently good about not getting punctures. 

3. Michelin Desert Race-Don't know much about this tire but some reviews seem to say it durable and very heavy duty. 

4. Motoz Arena Hybrid-

FRONT:

1. Shinko MX 216

2. Shinko 546-9100

3.Motoz Mountain Hybrid

4. Micheline AC10

Kenda Parker DT for the rear. Excellent Baja tire

10 of us just ran 1450 to cabo and the mousses ares still good, there were enduro, nutech, and michelin.  Even after they get soft their life can be extended, just don't haul ass on the highway or for long on a dry lake, they say good till 75mph.  

I too thought they were too much to deal with but have them on the Baja bikes and shortly on the trail bikes, no CO2, no levers, no tubes, no valve stems, no pump, no fixing flats on the trail.  This guy knows a bit... 

http://www.enduro360.com/2013/09/02/featured/the-mangled-mousse/

Watch a few of the ISDE guys change em out on the Rabaconda Youtube channel too.  

• Like 1

Last year ran Kenda Parker DT for a 1000 miles of mixed baja terrain.  They held up extremely well and will be mounted as a spare wheel set for my next trip in a few weeks.

This video was us last Saturday...12 mousse and tires installed...

On 1/13/2019 at 1:29 PM, ADVDude said:

BMRflagstaff

I have heard that Mousses do not last more that about 600 miles and after that they don't work well. I have no experience however and have never talked to anyone that has. If you could lead me to more information on a mousse that will last at least 1200 miles of hard use that would be great to know about. 

I went with a group of 8. One guy had hd tubes, one guy had a rear hd tube (the only flat on trip). Everyone else had front and rear nitro mousse. Most had gt fatty front and d606 rear. 

35 day trip across the west,the front had 2000 miles at heat (at times 100 degrees), speed, single track... I could have gotten 3000 miles  

mousse hating propaganda cracks me up...

The rear d606 was very good and sits in garage now at 1500-2000 miles and still has plenty life. 

Edited by TigerTanker
  • Like 3

I'll chime in for the GT 216 Fatty front and Maxxis Desert IT rear. I did 3000 Baja miles last year on that set (80+% dirt) and the front was still going strong. The rear was pretty shot but still working well. I was riding my Beta 525 loaded with ultralight camping setup.

I run Tubliss and have for years. Many don't like them, but I think it's user error. Mine work beautifully for all of my bikes. Up to 100mph in Baja with zero concerns, and being able to go down to 4psi in really gnarly stuff is handy. I've had a few flats over the years but they are easy to patch with plugs, and sealant means that Baja thorns are not a concern.

On 1/13/2019 at 2:29 PM, ADVDude said:

Only people with no experience using mousses propagate that ole chestnut.  I stayed away from them for years based on this info, then finally met people with actual experience and run them on all my bikes.  BMR is right, I was on the trip with him.  I will get another trip out of the mousses that I just ran 1450 miles down to cabo with.

I have many years experience with Tubliss, but not in Baja.  They work pretty well for trail riding, and would be fine in Baja assuming that nothing goes wrong.  But why even bother, compared with mousses, since you are still carrying plugs and a pump?  If you go this route, you should also carry spare inner liner tubes and levers.  The sealant in the tires helps with thorns, but not ripping a hole in the tire.  I have had that happen a number of times as well but usually you can stuff a couple plugs in it to get you through. 

All the failures that I have had with Tubliss comes from the valve stem pulling out of the inner liner tube after a tire change.  It usually happens after the system has 150-200 hours on it.  Yes it is (mostly) user error, but if it can happen to somebody that has done dozens of tire changes without incident, it can happen to anybody.  That inner liner tube just wears out from all the flexing, I think.

As for tires, I ran Parker DTs front and rear for 1450 miles and plan on using them again for a 3 day trip coming up.  Tire wear has alot to do with how you ride them.  Focus on traction and not spinning your wheel and you can get 2000 miles out of a set.  

Edited by borlo
  • Like 3

Agreed... I do carry liner tubes. My experience is similar WRT the longevity of Tubliss. The liner tubes seem to last about 3000mi, but the red part lasts much longer. Overall cost would be much higher with mousses over many thousands of mi, but that's less of a concern as I get older.

I had also assumed that mousses don't last very long, but based on this thread I may use them in Baja in the future. What about the feel, though? I run lower pressures with the Tubliss, and really like the performance that I get at 9f and 6r...

13 hours ago, climberevan said:

I had also assumed that mousses don't last very long, but based on this thread I may use them in Baja in the future. What about the feel, though? I run lower pressures with the Tubliss, and really like the performance that I get at 9f and 6r...

You'll notice a "dead" kinda of feeling in response and handling (at least I do) when you first get on a set of them.  But like anything, after a bit of saddle time with them, it isn't an issue as you adapt to them.  I would equate tire pressure to around 14-15 lbs so fast 2 track with sand on it can get squirrelly.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, climberevan said:

What about the feel, though? I run lower pressures with the Tubliss, and really like the performance that I get at 9f and 6r...

Depends on the mousse, its size, and the tire.

Stiff tires like the Parker DT with a new mousse feels like 15-16, softer tires with softer/smaller/older mousses can feel like 8-9.

When adjusting your tire pressure is no longer an option, I no longer think about it and just ride.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, climberevan said:

Agreed... I do carry liner tubes. My experience is similar WRT the longevity of Tubliss. The liner tubes seem to last about 3000mi, but the red part lasts much longer. Overall cost would be much higher with mousses over many thousands of mi, but that's less of a concern as I get older.

running <10psi in baja is asking for problems. Run the mousses, out of the 7 people on our baja trip, only two of us front flatted, and the two were ME and the wife. Hers was leaving Mikes Sky on the way to hwy 3, and mine was crossing from San Carlos to La Paz. both with 15psi in the front, and my flat was a hard enough hit to also flat spot the brand new front rim. Knew it was a flat the second it hit. under 10psi and the likelihood of a smiley on the rim is increased. 

2 hours ago, redhurricane said:

running <10psi in baja is asking for problems. Run the mousses, out of the 7 people on our baja trip, only two of us front flatted, and the two were ME and the wife. Hers was leaving Mikes Sky on the way to hwy 3, and mine was crossing from San Carlos to La Paz. both with 15psi in the front, and my flat was a hard enough hit to also flat spot the brand new front rim. Knew it was a flat the second it hit. under 10psi and the likelihood of a smiley on the rim is increased. 

Well, I've ridden about 4500 mostly dirt miles in Baja with Tubliss and have had 1 flat in that entire distance, so I'm pretty confident in the system. I do typically run slightly higher pressures there (like 10F & 8R) than I would here in NV. The benefit of mousses to me would be the elimination of the pump, tubes, and plug kit from my gear.