Beta Dirt Bikes are Slow

To deliver power. Everyone says so. The press, forums, even owners admit it. Hundreds of comments over the years confirm it. Trail bike type easy to ride power delivery focused on flat torque curves apparently is the culprit. Great for trails, but all wrong for racing or speed.

I know there has been some racing success on Beta's, and the right rider can make anything look good. Some riders (that don't get it) even take them on tracks, and enter Scrambles and Enduros on these trail bikes. But let's be honest, the bikes are holding them back, even though some get good results they would do better on more competitive modern machinery.

Even though we like to blame the press for getting reviews wrong all the time, we have to admit that professional testers who ride all sorts of bikes are better judges of a bikes ability than the average weekend warrior who occasionally gets to try different bikes at demo days and such. I know none of the testers want to test a "play bike" in races since it would be a waste of their time, because we all know what would happen. Thankfully Beta doesn't allow their bikes to be put in those situations to be embarrased. The average industry tester has decades of experience of the feel of bikes, and their seat of the pants impression are so valuable that legions of potential buyers wait anxiously for tests so that they can buy the absolute fastest bikes for competition. Those guys are the experts, and the bike tests and shootouts prove who is the best year in and year out, based upon the opinions of these elite testers.

Manufacturer's also benefit greatly from the testing and feedback done by the testers. Year after year the flaws are pointed out and the engineers burn the midnight oil trying to solve problems and keep up with the Jones's of the Moto world. It may take a few years for these changes to reach production, but when they do, they hope to give these testers the feel they have been asking for and get a glowing revue, therefore boosting sales. 

I've noticed a few things that I'm sure are completely out of context in some of the testing seen over the years. It's obvious that these (amateurish) testers don' t fully understand their place is to personally opine about the bikes they ride. Using timing equipment gives everyone fake news, it doesn't take into account things like track and trail conditions, different riders, weather and setup etc. As a public service, I'd like to ask that a few things be disregarded (we know they occasionally make mistakes) from consideration of Beta dirt bikes. It is well established that rider input and comfort is far more valuable than lap times, and I personally hope that this new fangled technology of GPS timing devices doesn't undermine decades of experience and common knowledge. Let's not let a few pieces of fake news cause people to mistakenly buy a trailbike for racing use.

Exhibit A: 10. Despite not quite being a race bike, Associate Editor Jess McKinley knocked out race-quality times on it. Jess times all his riding and testing, so he has a vast performance database on a wide variety of trails in varying condition. In the dry summer conditions, aboard the 2019 Beta 350 RR-S, he put his fastest times ever on Los Padres National Forest’s epic Whatta Trail. Even he was surprised, especially with the less-than-ideal Michelin Enduro rubber.

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2018/11/24/2019-beta-350-rr-s-review-14-fast-facts/

Exhibit B: 7km Enduro Loop Results  Beta RR300 10m 45s   Beta RR480 10m 25s  (10:29 mark on the video) 480 faster than a 300 on an Enduro Loop? Ha Ha

Edited by Johnny Depp
  • Like 1

Yep, there's hardly any evidence that these inferior and ridiculously slow Beta's can be competitive or keep up with true race bikes. I mean Steve Holcomb just got lucky....2 years in a row. Alex Salvini sucks anyway, so Beta doesn't miss him anymore. 

Oh, and no trusted testers is very true. I mean, who trusts Chilly White, or Traction E rag, or RUST magazine. 

Videos like these leave me very skeptical about a Beta having any speed, or being able to keep up with the real fast bikes.

Poor Beta, just an old heavy play bike! 

• Like 3

And let's not forget how ugly they are.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, firffighter said:

Oh, and no trusted testers is very true. I mean, who trusts Chilly White, or Traction E rag, or RUST magazine. 

Exactly. And let's not forget that poser Jimmy Lewis. No telling how much they get paid to race play bikes in 24hr events, not to mention  paying the other teams to take a dive and let them win. Literaly taking their life in their own hands though, you have to respect that.

• Like 1

Well, I guess Beta proves the axiom, 'You need to slow down to speed up'

Not complaining about my Beta, but it is nice to have a bike where you ignore the engine and concentrate on the suspension. :ride:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Yep, that’s why they can pull holeshots over Factory 350’s. 

I actually believe the power helps it hook up better. Not to mention a chassis that gets power to the ground. 

1C23B152-072E-4F4D-9C3C-9407AD8474C6.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Helpful 1

57 minutes ago, Piney Woods said:

Tongue firmly in cheek??????

Got to be , the way he seems to worship the magazine douche bags. Those guys are journalists that had interest in bikes , far from unbiased experts , with the factory's ear.      :lol:    Not many hold their own competitively.

• Like 1

Ha ha! Love it.

A couple of winters ago, I had the pleasure of attending a Beta ride day at Lidsdale, NSW. Ben Grabham, former KTM factory rider, team manager & multiple desert race winner here in Oz was the Beta brand manager & leading the ride. We were using corner-man, so eventually I was up front behind him. He was on a 480. 

“I’m riding with Ben Grabham!” I said in my helmet. I was on my much-loved 2014 RR300. We were on a brand new 20km loamy s/t section with acute corners every 80-200m. It was heaven. In about 6 seconds, he was gone. I couldn’t believe how fast he was in tight single on a big, fat, slow bike many ’Adventurize’.

Slow, porky & ugly - that’s Beta.

Edited by KatoKonvert
  • Like 4
  • Helpful 1

8 minutes ago, Cullins said:

Yep, that’s why they can pull holeshots over Factory 350’s. 

I actually believe the power helps it hook up better. Not to mention a chassis that gets power to the ground. 

1C23B152-072E-4F4D-9C3C-9407AD8474C6.jpeg

It could fool the average person, until you realize the hundred's of thousands of dollars spent to hire riders like your son to make those trail bikes look good. Sneaky I tell ya. Not fooling me though, all talent no bike.

Edited by Johnny Depp
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, KatoKonvert said:

Ha ha! Love it.

A couple of winters ago, I had the pleasure of attending a Beta ride day at Lidsdale, NSW. Ben Grabham, former KTM factory rider, team manager & multiple desert race winner here in Oz was the Beta brand manager & leading the ride. We were using corner-man, so eventually I was up front behind him. He was on a 480. 

“I’m riding with Ben Grabham!” I said in my helmet. I was on my much-loved 2014 RR300. We were on a brand new 20km loamy s/t section with acute corners every 80-200m. It was heaven. In about 6 seconds, he was gone. I couldn’t believe how fast he was in tight single on a big, fat, slow bike many ‘’’Adventurize’.

You were one of the lucky ones. Most people riding behind a 480 end up with a bloody face. (Playbikes throw a lot of roost due to being so heavy)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, JoeRC51 said:

Got to be , the way he seems to worship the magazine douche bags. Those guys are journalists that had interest in bikes , far from unbiased experts , with the factory's ear.      :lol:    Not many hold their own competitively.

Yep, Chilly pretty pedestrian rider. I mean, Romaniacs, ISDE, clearly any joker can ride those easy events. 

Oh, and that beginner Tim Coleman that reviews for the Aussy mags, he's a piker too. 

These journalists are a total joke. Really, the authority on these Beta's are the TT guys. Just read the reviews from all of these elderly men and you'll find the truth on how these bikes really perform. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, KatoKonvert said:

Ha ha! Love it.

“I’m riding with Ben Grabham!” I said in my helmet. I was on my much-loved 2014 RR300. We were on a brand new 20km loamy s/t section with acute corners every 80-200m. It was heaven. In about 6 seconds, he was gone. I couldn’t believe how fast he was in tight single on a big, fat, slow bike many ’Adventurize’.

Grabbo, he's a novice too! Pretty much nothing to hang his hat on. 

Just another example of a journalist posing as a real rider. 

I say bring on more reviews from anonymous old guys here on TT who have zero evidence of them even ridng, those are the really helpful reviews. Super solid information from those sources.

• Like 3

I'm not putting down your precious bike , I'm putting down JOURNALISTS that aren't competitive racers , not the few who are.

• Like 1

All I can say is I love mine so far and I dont read to much into reviews from magazines.  They're kinda like celebrities talking about which politician to vote for. Living in a fancy world is not the same as real life for an average person. 20190112_121939.jpg.d87f947c913dc5e7d0e130b4c512b28b.jpg

• Like 7

More proof of paid off idiot testers here.

https://www.betausa.com/sites/default/files/Dirt Bike 2019 Beta 430 RR-S Review.pdf

"Who makes the best dual sport line today? Beta. That's it no asteriks, no subtext and no double talk."

LOL HA HA what fools, everyone knows it's the KTM 500 EXC for the last decade.

Edited by Johnny Depp
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, JoeRC51 said:

I'm not putting down your precious bike , I'm putting down JOURNALISTS that aren't competitive racers , not the few who are.

I understood what you were saying, no problem there. 

Let's just say there's real riders who review and there's reviewers who aren't real riders. 

Thought I'd give a couple of examples of the former as the later are more abundant and get more attention from the unwitting. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Edgecombe said:

All I can say is I love mine so far and I dont read to much into reviews from magazines.  They're kinda like celebrities talking about which politician to vote for. Living in a fancy world is not the same as real life for an average person. 20190112_121939.jpg.d87f947c913dc5e7d0e130b4c512b28b.jpg

I hope you don't mind people laughing at you on that ugly POS trailbike. Maybe you could hop it up and get some flourescent plastics? Have you tried taking off the muffler yet?

Edited by Johnny Depp
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Johnny Depp said:

I hope you don't mind people laughing at you on that ugly POS trailbike. Maybe you could hop it up and get some flourescent plastics?

Every time I push that electric start, it puts a smile on my face. They can laugh all they want.😁

• Like 4
  • Haha 1