Goatse

The true 250 vs 300 comparison.

57 minutes ago, supranatural said:

Sounds like most of the riders here are 175-185+ lb on the 300.

Coincidence, or some other factor?:thumbsup:

All this talk of the ultimate 2T engine makes me think of one of my fantasy bike. I have two KTM's, an old 2T 250 and a modern EXC 500. I also have a Skidoo MXZ 800cc snowmobile which has a 2 cylinder liquid cooled engine that puts out a legitimate 150 hp. It is not even current technology, the new 850's put out 160hp! Mine has a pressed together crank so the idea of building a bike with half of that engine, tuned to provide a nice flat power curve with only 70 hp is not that outrageous. The sled weighs 490 lbs and when the traction is good, you absolutely  better hang on and have it aimed correctly because it is a rocket. Half of that motor in a sweet handling 250 lb. bike would be awesome!

After the first liquid cooled '81 Honda CR250 that would not stay together, I got an '83 IT490.   People today are whiners about jetting, try jetting a big air cooled 2stroke much less kicking it after a crash in a mid summer enduro.  I instantly improved and had more fun on the KDX200 that followed.  Around here the 300 is the tipping point, anything more is ridiculous.  Except on the ice.

• Like 3

I liked a variety of kdx 200 for different years...and there were a bunch of good air cool bikes for it's time. I still liked my 1982 430xc Husky as an all around riding and racing everything bike . Brakes sucked is all.. but other than that it was awesome. There's more than enough power everywhere and great for hard enduro stuff as well as anything wide open top gear. It vibrated more than current bikes but so what. Maybe that's why I don't give a shit much about a counterbalancer. It's nice but minor. I always thought about someday making a 430 husky but revamping and putting on disc brakes.. but then estart came along and that plan just didn't seem so important.  I saw this bike online and thought I'd make a variation of this for local riding. Got an msr skid plate and I think I'd take off that rear fender with the number plates and put the stock rear fender. I like these side covers though. I can grab the frame rails easier in the trails. Of course some hand guards are going on too. I like big bore 2 strokes... even for tight stuff because eventually you get out of the tight stuff and you can go mach speeds just for fun and do it quick and easy. I see that there's some good aftermarket upgraded bigger pegs too that I might put on.. I didn't even think about some vibration reducing mods on the handlebar or whatever but eeh. Feel that vibration. embrace !!! maybe it will loosen my old joints.

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/wonder-where-we-can-get-these-sweet-footpegs.15813/

image.png.112860682cb779805237d7e366c44d40.png

image.png.27a0a8226592ac5a9b882dc819a2150f.png    

stock look xc..

2-1513877462894.jpg?1516976520000

Ok this is way off topic.. but in whatever reference to this thread ? I'd like the bigger bore 2 stroke... so 300.   But still would love a 350 or 400 2 stroke.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
  • Like 2

So I got out on the 300 again.

This time the area had less climbs (but still some), and the single track was less bar banging and bit more flowing. The bike definitely carries 3rd gear better than it did before, if you're just blipping along at a steady pace (I'm positive I am now faster here). But one thing I have found, is when you do want it to blast right off out of a corner, or when it opens up a bit (BwaaaAAAAHHH on the pipe), it doesn't do this as well as my high comp 250 did. The bike is more lazy here, and I find I need to use 'more' clutch to get the 300 singing than I had to on my 250.  Sure once I 'do' get the 300 on the pipe, she's got a bunch of jam (which feels about the same as the 250), but getting it there isn't as quick as it was on the 250. So I can see there where I would give the nod to the 250. 

Did I miss the 250 though? Not really. The tradeoffs are still worth the swap IMO. 

Another thing I'll note, is the bike sure sounds better. I always wondered why my bike never sounded like the bikes on TV. I figured it was a KTM thing. But this 300 setup now has that burbly, choppy, 2 stroke sound I always loved hearing in videos and on other riders' KTM's and Huskies. 

• Like 2

You can only go up the power scale with easy mods.  Next time I'd take that 250CDI with you.  Super easy you can even swap it trailside.  No 300 will rev as fast as the 250 its just a heavier top end, but the advance curve on the original 250 CDI should pull it through the mid faster.  I'd be curious how it responds, I know the GasGas 300s could be made into beasts like this.  A trick with the older GG EC250s was run the 200 CDI for the same reason.

Edited by GP
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Goatse said:

So I got out on the 300 again.

This time the area had less climbs (but still some), and the single track was less bar banging and bit more flowing. The bike definitely carries 3rd gear better than it did before, if you're just blipping along at a steady pace (I'm positive I am now faster here). But one thing I have found, is when you do want it to blast right off out of a corner, or when it opens up a bit (BwaaaAAAAHHH on the pipe), it doesn't do this as well as my high comp 250 did. The bike is more lazy here, and I find I need to use 'more' clutch to get the 300 singing than I had to on my 250.  Sure once I 'do' get the 300 on the pipe, she's got a bunch of jam (which feels about the same as the 250), but getting it there isn't as quick as it was on the 250. So I can see there where I would give the nod to the 250. 

Did I miss the 250 though? Not really. The tradeoffs are still worth the swap IMO. 

Another thing I'll note, is the bike sure sounds better. I always wondered why my bike never sounded like the bikes on TV. I figured it was a KTM thing. But this 300 setup now has that burbly, choppy, 2 stroke sound I always loved hearing in videos and on other riders' KTM's and Huskies. 

Well how about adding a head?.. 

Cullins says they just put a high comp head here.   Well something to add on later when you get bored with stock. Nothing wrong with stock but an option for the future. 

More 300 newer bike description..

You can only go up the power scale with easy mods.  Next time I'd take that 250CDI with you.  Super easy you can even swap it trailside.  No 300 will rev as fast as the 250 its just a heavier top end, but the advance curve on the original 250 CDI should pull it through the mid faster.  I'd be curious how it responds, I know the GasGas 300s could be made into beasts like this.  A trick with the older GG EC250s was run the 200 CDI for the same reason.

Yeah, I'm saving the CDI swap until I'm a bit more used to the bike. So that the changes are more noticeable.
  Well how about adding a head?.. 

Cullins says they just put a high comp head here.   Well something to add on later when you get bored with stock. Nothing wrong with stock but an option for the future. 

I have the RK head, so an insert for the 300 is already in the works. I'm hoping that brings some zap back as well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Goatse said:

Yeah, I'm saving the CDI swap until I'm a bit more used to the bike. So that the changes are more noticeable.

I have the RK head, so an insert for the 300 is already in the works. I'm hoping that brings some zap back as well.

Cool . ..Then you can play with pipes and go  maybe some of the mx route like cullins mx setup. But then be careful as it might not be the initial Beta that we know and love. Go too far and it’s just another mx bike.. That’s only if going too far though. 

On 1/28/2019 at 4:14 PM, Goatse said:

This came in, and I've now done a couple rides with it installed. 

With my RK on my 250, it bumped my stock cranking compression from 185psi, to 200psi. It definitely made a difference, and did make the bike more angry. I never had any issues with it, so Kelsey sent me an insert for the same elevation, riding, etc as my 250. The 300 setup that I picked up from GP was from his 2013 Race Edition, which I'm pretty sure back then they ran a decently low compression head. With the stock head, my cranking compression was just shy of 160psi with the 300 all stock. After installing the RK head on the 300, the compression jumped up to the same as it was on my 250, which is 200psi. 

Not going to lie... I got pretty excited. A 40+psi bump has got to change the sh*t out of this lazy power delivery. Well it sure as heck did. That zip I was craving is definitely back. I honestly think that 3rd gear now is pretty well what 2nd gear was on my 250 when it comes to snap. Yes, that bit of wait/delay is still there when you really want it to spool up quick (being an ex 250 guy), but wow are those meat and potatoes ever meaty now. Clipping along in 3rd gear now is exactly what I was hoping for. I quite often found myself carrying much more speed than anticipated when coming into a corner, needing to get hard on the front brake while trying to keep the rear from coming around on me. It was quite fun actually. 

I was running the PV adjuster at 1 turn from flush, like I was on the 250. But I assumed it would be a bit angry, so I started the day at the 2.5 turns they come from the factory. I was having so much fun riding the bike, that I never even thought to mess with the PV. I would have to say. So far, with the way the bike feels, a guy couldn't really ask for a better power delivery. It's definitely not something I'd let my wife hop on and try in gnarly single track (unless I wanted a divorce), but for me, my history/preferences, terrain, etc, this bike is now very good. It's a F'n animal, but I like it. 

• Like 3