Lingering SSS Conversion Issues

So I have had 2007 YZ450f forks on my steel frame yz250 for a while now, but there are still a few issues that I am still having.

First off, there is a little bit of creaking noises coming from the steering stem, I know now that I should have pressed the steering stem from the steel frame triples into the SSS clamps. I will be swapping the stems this week so I am hoping that fixes the issue. I may also look into replacing the bearings as well. Any input on this would definitely be helpful if anyone has had this issue.

Also, while riding it feels like there is a small amount of free play in the forks at the beginning of the stroke. This has been going on for a while but I recently took the forks apart and replaced bushings and seals which did not fix the issues. One thing that I did notice when the forks were taken apart is that the springs attached to the free piston were not compressed which allowed the piston to have about a half inch of play before it would engage. I researched it a little bit and from what I could find certain models of the SSS fork have a spacer that goes between the spring and the cap that eliminates this play. From what I could find this model did not need the spacer, but I am considering adding one just for the piece of mind of having no free play in the fork action. Does anyone have any experience and/or know if the spacers can be added to other model forks?

I know what you mean, just looking to get some input. Thinking back, I did not measure the springs before putting the forks back together so that very well could be the issue. I’ll try to take them apart again this week and check that

• Like 1