Best fuel filter?

Is there such a thing? Talking in-line filter. I did a search and although I didn't read them all, didn't see a definitive answer. Is there a go-to filter. Price wouldn't be a concern, as small as they are. The bike is a '07 450R if that makes a difference. TIA.

I've never felt the need to put an inline fuel filter on any of the many bikes I've owned, instead, I've always relied on the petcocks fuel filters to keep crap out of the carb. I remove and clean the petcock screens every spring before I begin riding for the season

• Like 2

Way back, Dirt Bike Magazine did an article comparing in-line fuel filters and their efficiency.  In the end, they found the best to be an AC fuel filter.  I don’t know the number.  The body was about 1 1/2” long, and about 3/4” wide.  It was made of an opaque material.  They were the hot ticket back in the late 70s.  I used them on every bike I had for years.  Haven’t a clue where you could find them now.

Kind of looked like this.

F13C3886-37D8-4AA8-8C82-2D9E806805CA.jpeg

Edited by Gflo
  • Helpful 1

Visu filter offers some different options that are marketed towards powersports.  K&N does as well but I'd opt for no fuel filter before I installed a K&NScreenshot_20190114-131417_Chrome.thumb.jpg.5bf08462402895d8653d822414a50808.jpg

• Like 1

+1 0n the Golan.......

I've run Visu for years. Replace at every top end job. Hard to say if really made a difference or not.

small filters are either for gravity feed (courser) or pressure feed (finer).   You don't wanna use a pressure feed (usually folded paper media) on a gravity feed (usually screen or gold globular) as it might starve the motor at high rpm.   Most gravity feed filters aren't any finer than the petcock in-tank filter, so are kind of redundant.  BUT, I have had junk show up in them I guess as a secondary trap.  If you have an old metal tank (rust) I've used a magnet around the hose at the filter, seems to be effective and traps stuff.

Thanks for the replies. Lately I've been getting crap in my carb. I've clean the tank, ect., so was going to try an in-line. Good info, thanks again.

11 minutes ago, drumiv said:

Thanks for the replies. Lately I've been getting crap in my carb. I've clean the tank, ect., so was going to try an in-line. Good info, thanks again.

If your petcock screens are intact and your still getting crap in the carb, maybe the rubber petcock seal has gone bad and is deteriorating... maybe time to rebuild it

• Like 2

I was having an issue with bits clogging up the float valve.  I found this filter in my toolbox, it has been there for about 40 years, works just great. ;)

20171124_153443.jpg

20171124_153400.jpg

14 hours ago, Dmouse said:

If your petcock screens are intact and your still getting crap in the carb, maybe the rubber petcock seal has gone bad and is deteriorating... maybe time to rebuild it

Ya every few years I drain my 05 CFR250R tank, pull the petcock and check/clean that fuel filter and wash out the tank/dry etc.

My DRZ400e tank is yellow and it constantly surprises me how much crap I can see on the bottom when the gas is low. Not sure how the crap gets in the tank but same process as the 250R.

As Dmouse posted make sure that stuff is clean and as well if you are running E10/E15 gas, there might be a chance that if left sit its degrading the inside of the fuel line so might be worth buying some quality fuel line and slice open the old line and see if there is degradation. Saw a show on PBS a few years ago with E10/E15 gas and outboard motors and was shocked at how bad the inside of the fuel line had degraded.

I've used the straight and 90 deg clear non paper visu-filters on my street bike with a really rusty  tank and they have worked fine.

• Like 2

On 1/15/2019 at 2:23 AM, Dmouse said:

That's exactly what happened to me.  I was getting bits months later no matter how well I cleaned things, I must have disassembled the carb 20 times.  Finally found that filter in my toolbox, no problems since, and that was like a year ago.

5 hours ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

That's exactly what happened to me.  I was getting bits months later no matter how well I cleaned things, I must have disassembled the carb 20 times.  Finally found that filter in my toolbox, no problems since, and that was like a year ago.

Yeah, I'm sure it works, but I would fix the degrading rubber in the petcock if that's what was causing the issue to begin with

1 minute ago, Dmouse said:

Yeah, I'm sure it works, but I would fix the degrading rubber in the petcock if that's what was causing the issue to begin with

I got a whole new petcock.  But there were bits apparently hidden that kept popping up and clogging up things.  Drove me crazy for months.  I even replaced the fuel line.

Edited by cjjeepercreeper
  • Like 1