supercross Red Death (Revisited)

18 hours ago, Crusty Cy said:

All Yamaha now except for a two year stint on that over rated Austrian brand.  No offense of course. 

• Haha 1

The chassis is too stiff and it makes it very difficult to settle the rear end down. 

Honda has not abandoned the steep slack angle approach either. Although it is not as severe as the previous generation, this is no secret. 

MXA has said this over and over again. We are have a much harder time with bik set up with this gen bike than last. The added power only makes it worse.

The only thing I dislike about "Red Death" is the severity of injury to the rider, it is not a joking matter

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

23 hours ago, MotorBoatin said:

Let me educate you on the history of the Red Death

What we know as the Red Death today is not as it once was. Today we see it as full of hate and malice but it was once considered a noble yet nameless entity full of love and admiration for the sport of racing. This all changed in 1968 with the demise of Honda's Formula 1 racing effort. With the sudden cancellation of its one true calling the entity that was seen as good luck by the Honda engineers was lost with nowhere to go. Through the long years of wondering the vast halls of the Honda compound the entity was forgotten and slowly turned vengeful and wicked

Behold the birth of what we now know as the Red Death....1964

Honda-RA271-20634.jpg  

The mid 70's through early 80's was a time that many would call the Honda golden years and after more than a decade of wandering the entity came across what it thought was a most peculiar thing....The ATC

79atc110web1.jpg

After years of never giving the strange three wheeled contraption much thought the entity began seeing warehouses full of the abominations and that is when the now evil and spiteful entity devised a plan :devil:

Thousands were injured and hospitalized. Some even died. Honda fought hard to curtail the bad publicity but in the end the entity was just too strong and we all know what happened

Having great foresight and knowing the demise of the ATC was imminent the entity now forming into what we know today started looking for a new home. After great thought and consideration the entity decided that race bikes were it's future. An inherently dangerous machine that is labeled "For closed course competition only" would be free of over bearing mothers be ignored by the money grubbing lawyers and best of all have no federal government oversight

The new home of the Red Death

CASSIC1981_CR250RJAPNESEMODEL.jpg 

The Red Death is real  :prof:

Kicker on the left!  I'm shocked. I had no idea

3 hours ago, MANIAC998 said:

I bought that exact model when I ETS’d from the Army. It was used, but nearly mint. It only needed two bolts replaced with the oem “dished” Honda fasteners and then it was MINT!! Payed $600 for it in ‘88.

I had a 350X and would take it down to Baja on camping trips, it was great.  Although one time my wife and I were camping alone on the beach down in El Golfo and were riding double down the beach when all of a sudden the bike started losing power, so I downshifted and pegged it.  There was nothing wrong with the bike, but it would have been nice if I knew her foot came off the peg and got sucked under the rear wheel before I started giving it the gas :facepalm: .  That was our first day there and we were heading home on a 6 hour drive soon after.  Virtually everyone has a 3-wheeler story like that that owned one.  I know now it's a different configuration of how many wheels in front and how many in back, but people are ok driving those things down the highway now?  No thanks. 

• Like 3

This is a stupid ass topic. Guys have been seriously injured riding every brand. It's motocross/supercross. Its dangerous as F.

I agree its an interesting coincidence how many guys have gotten hurt on hondas on a professional level, but these are still coincidences. I think it mostly comes down to some of the great riders pushing their limits too hard.

I honestly feel really badly for Mookie. He seemed to really be taking things seriously. Its a severe shame what happened. This may be the end of his career.

• Like 1

This is a stupid ass topic. Guys have been seriously injured riding every brand. It's motocross/supercross. Its dangerous as F.
I agree its an interesting coincidence how many guys have gotten hurt on hondas on a professional level, but these are still coincidences. I think it mostly comes down to some of the great riders pushing their limits too hard.
I honestly feel really badly for Mookie. He seemed to really be taking things seriously. Its a severe shame what happened. This may be the end of his career.

A broken femur is not career ending. It will have a rod inserted and will heal just fine. He could even be back before the end of the series. He can chose to have the rod taken out which would mean taking the rest of supercross off, but there is no reason he can not be back next year for SX. He could easily be ready for MX (I don’t know if he was planning on racing MX anyway). I personally think a knee injury would be worse.

Peick’s loss of vision in his eye would definitely be a career ending injury.

I’ve dealt with both injuries and vision loss had a much greater impact on my riding than a broken femur.
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, MrN2OBelvedere said:

This is a stupid ass topic.

The Red Death is real, and it actually prefers that people are in denial about its existence, because it benefits most from a complete lack of awareness.

Edited by redrider144
  • Like 4

A broken femur is not career ending. It will have a rod inserted and will heal just fine. He could even be back before the end of the series. He can chose to have the rod taken out which would mean taking the rest of supercross off, but there is no reason he can not be back next year for SX. He could easily be ready for MX (I don’t know if he was planning on racing MX anyway). I personally think a knee injury would be worse.

I’ve dealt with both injuries and vision loss had a much greater impact on my riding than a broken femur.
I understand your point, however being physically capable of riding, vs being able to get a ride, are two different things. Either can end a riders career.

22 minutes ago, MrN2OBelvedere said:
44 minutes ago, Mutley53 said:

Read more  

I understand your point, however being physically capable of riding, vs being able to get a ride, are two different things. Either can end a riders career.

I have to believe he showed teams he is capable of podiums in SX, so finding a ride shouldn’t be an issue.

1 hour ago, Mutley53 said:

A broken femur is not career ending. 

This is highly dependent on the point in the riders career...

I believe Yamaha's Bob Hannah was waterskiing behind Honda's Marty Tripes when Hannah hit a rock and shattered his leg.

If we're going to go full on stupid. 

Yep, every motorcycle company makes a steaming turd from time to time. I dont think the CRF450R is one.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mutley53 said:

:thumbsup:

1 hour ago, redrider144 said:

The Red Death is real, and it actually prefers that people are in denial about its existence, because it benefits most from a complete lack of awareness.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrN2OBelvedere said:

Two Big Macs for 5 bucks is much more of a threat to Mookie's 

career than this femur fracture but I am not denying non unions being common in high risk people

and Mookie I assume is not a high risk profile. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Babyarmholdingapple said:

Two Big Macs for 5 bucks is much more of a threat to Mookie's career

The Super Size fries and Super Size coke is what did me in.  That's where the majority of the carbs are.

Edited by redrider144
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I believe this may have been the most wicked form of the ATC:

1986-Honda-ATC250R.jpg&key=ad9e37c71162e3840a596c679a9a4e4053449aa56f06648dff9c75d8044169a1

Yep...that’s it!!
  • Like 1

I’ll have to agree, Stewart will be back in the saddle soon. In 2011, we were @ a LL’s regional in CO @ Thunder Valley w/ my son going out for that last practice on Friday afternoon. Came up short on that uphill double on the face of the hill & broke his femur...4” above the knee & 4” below the hip. A rod w/ screws on each end put him back together. Guess he’ll take that to his grave for he says he doesn’t know it’s there. Back on the bike, a Honda 450R, in about 10 weeks, still riding that bike today.
  • Like 1

On 1/14/2019 at 3:50 PM, MotorBoatin said:

After years of maiming the public with the ATC the Red Death evolved once again. It has now focused all of it's overwhelming malice and contempt to afflict pain and hardship on the one that hurt it so long ago.....Honda

After years of successes and failures the Red Death has become strong. So strong that no mortal can withstand it's will. Just ask Ricky, he knows what really happened that clear November day in 2003

Honda will never again win the series it covets most....Supercross 

It tried to kill Jeremy McGrath!  The greatest SX rider of all time!  And now, I think I understand why.  

McGrath kept winning SX title after SX title.  This angered the entity greatly, because it became jealous of McGrath's success, and what might have been in F1 had Honda not extinguished the program!  The entity tried and tried to dethrone the SX king, but McGrath's SX powers had grown far too strong by now, especially by 1996.  It would have to wait until MX where McGrath's powers weren't as they were in SX.

It realized that the only way to weaken McGrath was to stop fighting him, and instead boost his confidence, to the point where he would attempt to quad 2 tabletops that no sane person would ever dare consider.  At last, the entity had wounded him!  McGrath ended up narrowly losing the '96 MX championship, all coming down to the final round.  But this was just the beginning of the wicked plan.

The entity had inspired the Honda engineers to design a new steed for McGrath, something so horrid and unforgiving, that the now weakened McGrath would surely succumb to its terrifying nature:

1997-Steve-Lamson.jpg

But McGrath, during testing, could feel how dangerous and evil this new concoction was, and he knew he had to get out.  He let his contract with Honda expire and jumped ship to Suzuki for a year.  The entity, although furious at McGrath's escape, took pleasure in watching McGrath suffer on a different bike, and lose the SX championship in 1997.  

The entity might have moved on, but what now!?  No factory Honda rider had ever left and won a championship!!!  McGrath gets on a YZ250 and breaks the entity's curse, winning 3 more SX championships!?!?!?  The entity broke into a rage!!! It cursed McGrath and made great noises and gnashed it's teeth, and vowed revenge on the SX king.

The entity took control of the minds of the HRC management, and influenced them to draw McGrath out of retirement for part time racing.  It allowed MC to do this unscathed for awhile, waiting for the perfect time to strike.  The event that shared the same name of the great former champion:  The Jeremy McGrath Invitational.  

Fractures in two places at vertebrae C-7 and two broken bones in his right big toe.  McGrath spent 8+ weeks in a full neck brace.

Edited by redrider144
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, OUTERLIMITS said:

I had a 350X and would take it down to Baja on camping trips, it was great.  Although one time my wife and I were camping alone on the beach down in El Golfo and were riding double down the beach when all of a sudden the bike started losing power, so I downshifted and pegged it.  There was nothing wrong with the bike, but it would have been nice if I knew her foot came off the peg and got sucked under the rear wheel before I started giving it the gas :facepalm: .  That was our first day there and we were heading home on a 6 hour drive soon after.  Virtually everyone has a 3-wheeler story like that that owned one.  I know now it's a different configuration of how many wheels in front and how many in back, but people are ok driving those things down the highway now?  No thanks. 

I have a big stainless screw in my ankle from a 200x and a similar story.  

• Like 4

On 1/14/2019 at 2:28 PM, MANIAC998 said:

All of us have heard and perhaps joined in on the “Red Death” mantra, me included. It’s fun, harmless and makes for good banter on the Pro forum!

But could there be any merit to it? Could the chassis flex in a certain way, storing additional energy that unloads at the worst time? Or could it be the twin silencers adding additional rotational mass causing additional pitch to a rebounding rear end??

I have no idea either way, but the Pro forum has some pretty clever individuals, so let’s hear some thoughts!

No

• Like 1