alexpc

lighter DS thinking KTM/Husky

I have plated 2002 xr650r that is in great shape that does everything I need but I am sure my 48 year old body would appreciate lighter bike with e-start and fuel injection. I have pretty much narrowed it down to a exc500 or 501fe. I only have time go a few serious rides per year so I want keep the budget under control somewhat. 70-90% trail riding possibly some remote camping.  Here are the options I a have found locally: 2013 exc500 low miles well set up for a good price (but 250lbs dry and known weaker crank bearing), a well kept 2014 with over 5,000 miles for an even better price, a number of 2015 and 2016s with 2-3K miles in $8500+/- range (246lbs) or should boost the budget for 2017- 2018 (240lbs)

Tough call, I don't see the weight difference being that noticeable since you are coming off the 650r, they will all feel light. The only real question is, do you want to cough up the extra for that brand new bike feel!  I honestly don't think you can go wrong with those options.

I have also found a low mile 2011 530exc but like the idea of fuel injection for altitude and mpg. but that option would save some cash!

I have also found a low mile 2011 530exc but like the idea of fuel injection for altitude and mpg. but that option would save some cash!
I've ran sea level jetting at 9k elevation without problems with a 530. Jet it for 3k-6k and it will be fine.

Coming off a DR 650se all I can say is I have never looked back. 2015 KTM 500exc and WOW, what a change in just the weight, let alone the handling and power.

• Like 1

I would go new if I had more time to ride! I picked up a better than new 2013 with 220 miles on it for 1/2 of new 2019. Should be good enough for my needs.

• Like 2

I would go new if I had more time to ride! I picked up a better than new 2013 with 220 miles on it for 1/2 of new 2019. Should be good enough for my needs.

Nice, pics please...

I the bike has most all the goodies. The original owner fixes up old cars and bought because was "bad-ass" and did as much as he could to make it even more so. More eye candy than I need with all orange parts, chain etc. I just want to do some long weekend adventure rides and some "escapes" on family camping trips.

IMG_3222.JPG

• Like 2

Treat yourself to a nice new 500EXC.

This^. The new frame combined with the Xplore 48 makes you smile.
  • Like 1