ivas231

crf250x Honda CRF250x 2005 starting issues

I just bought a 2005 Honda CRF 250x. It hasn't run in 5 years and has been sitting in a garage. I cleaned the carb very well (the pilot hole). I compression tested the bike and got around 55 psi with the auto decompressor on. The spark plug is new and has good gas and fuel filter on it. The oil and oil filter has been changed as well. The bike will sound like it wants to start and when you give it throttle and kick it it will back fire and the kick starter will ram back up. I took the air filter off and put fuel right into the intake to the carb. after a few kicks the bike started and ran pretty good. once it was warm it started right back up. i tried to start it again the next day and it wont. it sounds good but then i give it throttle and it gets a different pitch. I was thinking low compression but i have 55 psi (i read i should be their). Could it be my valves? i need help!!!!

my guess,  intake valve's tight,  right side the worse.   They loosen when hot , why it started back up for ya.   If that what you find you can shim some clearance back in it, but begin gathering parts or planning for a head rebuild.

If it starts when you put fuel down the throat of the carb, then your issue may be that accelerator pump on the carb. It should squirt gas in when you twist the throttle.

But they will start with compression down to around 50psi, more difficult with high 40s, no start low 40s. Cam chains do wear and retard timing which lowers compression, but 57psi on a cold engine should start.