Video: KTM'S CARB VS TPI (TRANSFER PORT INJECTION)

3 hours ago, redrider144 said:

So the people that had their pumps lose the prime and smoked their cylinders were just imagining it?  Riiiiiight.

You're apparently one of those guys that thinks because your bike hasn't had an issue, there's no issue.

Oh well by all means that changes everything.  Not.  Way to focus on the most inconsequential and insignificant part of my statement and completely miss the point.   

No no no, the tassels and tutu Zig was wearing weren't purple, they were fuscia!   I was totally wrong!

You really did a not joke in 2019? 

For my purposes the 2018 non-carb with a lectron gave me everything I wanted out of the TPI bike and for overall less money given the time I bought it. (discount for leftover stock, would have had to pay a premium to get a hold of a 19' TPI) 

Not saying the issues with TPI are as widespread a they seem, but you can't argue that the carb models are simpler and don't require a battery. Not so much an issue if you are racing closed-course with people all around, more of a concern if you are going out in the middle of nowhere with not much support. 

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

1 hour ago, Dirt Rider 12345 said:

For my purposes the 2018 non-carb with a lectron gave me everything I wanted out of the TPI bike and for overall less money given the time I bought it. (discount for leftover stock, would have had to pay a premium to get a hold of a 19' TPI) 

Not saying the issues with TPI are as widespread a they seem, but you can't argue that the carb models are simpler and don't require a battery. Not so much an issue if you are racing closed-course with people all around, more of a concern if you are going out in the middle of nowhere with not much support. 

Not going argue with the classic reliability of a carb, just gotta knock down all the Misinformation that people put out about TPI. They are great bikes. No widespread issues, mostly just haters here and there making stuff up.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Boertmann84 said:

Not going argue with the classic reliability of a carb, just gotta knock down all the Misinformation that people put out about TPI. They are great bikes. No widespread issues, mostly just haters here and there making stuff up.

Really? Knock down all the misinformation? TPI is brand new.. It’s a whole lot of wait and see more than anything else. 

• Like 4

One thing I notice (about the oil inj) is most of them smoke the same my 40:1 carb 300.  That's ktm and beta OI.   One bike is an exception, it isn't smoking at all, which would concern me.

Some worried about the OI are moving the the injector to the reed block and mixing gas.

Edited by highmarker

1 hour ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

Really? Knock down all the misinformation? TPI is brand new.. It’s a whole lot of wait and see more than anything else. 

Yes, misinformation. Like “dubious parts being used” when in fact these parts like the oil pump have been used on other platforms for years with no reliability issues. Read the whole thread.

guys have 100 plus hours on many of these tpi bikes with no major issues, they are not brand new anymore, top ends have been replaced, they look fine. Oil pumps are not “burning up” like stated. If your going to make up problems that don’t exist at least do your homework. The only issues a very few tpis are having are Ecu and sensor related resulting off idle stumbling and lean spots.

43 minutes ago, Boertmann84 said:

Yes, misinformation. Like “dubious parts being used” when in fact these parts like the oil pump have been used on other platforms for years with no reliability issues. Read the whole thread.

guys have 100 plus hours on many of these tpi bikes with no major issues, they are not brand new anymore, top ends have been replaced, they look fine. Oil pumps are not “burning up” like stated. If your going to make up problems that don’t exist at least do your homework. The only issues a very few tpis are having are Ecu and sensor related resulting off idle stumbling and lean spots.

What are you talking about?? A hundred hours compares to many decades of carb use? Duh ....That makes zero sense at all. ? 

Come on now.. It’s BRAND NEW. It may be fine and it may not ... but it’s brand new. Just because soething is brand new doesn’t mean it’s good or bad. It’s wait and see and wait till the dust settles.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

What are you talking about?? A hundred hours compares to many decades of carb use? Duh ....That makes zero sense at all. ? 

Come on now.. It’s BRAND NEW. It may be fine and it may not ... but it’s brand new. Just because soething is brand new doesn’t mean it’s good or bad. It’s wait and see and wait till the dust settles.

Ok let’s wait and see ?? 

When the tpi has been around for “decades” we will circle back and have a relevant discussion instead of talking about actual problems the tpi may or may not be having currently

Edited by Boertmann84
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1

2 minutes ago, Boertmann84 said:

Ok let’s wait and see ?? 

It’s new and improvements will come along too.. I’m watching like everyone else too. Im great with my carbed bikes and I’ll watch everyones reports and maybe catch a ride or 2 locally. So far I haven’t heard any bad locally. I think after a year or 2 the real stuff will be more evident and how to address to make things set up right.

9 hours ago, 2strokenut said:

The oil pump is actually a quality made Japanese part. A guy in our facebook tpi forum took one apart. I've launched my TPI off cliffs nonstop since I've bought it and I haven't had an issue, neither has my buddy who rents TPIs out on the regular to extreme enduro riders visiting AZ. The oil tank in the 19s were changed to a different type of plastic (PP instead of PE). The pump and injection are from the 4Ts and they are very reliable. So I think it's just conjecture from TPI haters :D

Can you post a link? I would really like to see photos of the pump!

11 hours ago, 2strokenut said:

I'm not saying they didn't have an issue, I'm saying it's overblown by people don't have a TPI. My good buddies went and raced Romaniacs last year. 50% of riders are on TPI bikes, maybe more. I asked them if they spoke to the local guys about any issues with the TPIs (this was before I bought a TPI) and they said "yeah, riders have zero issues with the bikes". I asked them about pump failure. Couldn't find a single person with a problem. Oil pump going out? No one had a problem.

It was reported on KTM Talk that 3 TPI bikes at the 2017 Romanics had seizures.  

One of the seized bikes was ridden by a friend in Gold class. Their conclusion was air (bubbles) in the oil line.

Perhaps KTM figured something out and the 2019 version is better, but that 1st gen absolutely had a potential issue.  That many / most owners haven't experienced a seizure doesn't mean it can't happen.  

I haven't snapped the kickstart idler bolt yet (knock on wood) on my '17 300, but it was an issue enough that KTM quietly updated the design for 2018.

Edited by redrider144
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Boertmann84 said:

Ok let’s wait and see ?? 

When the tpi has been around for “decades” we will circle back and have a relevant discussion instead of talking about actual problems the tpi may or may not be having currently

Well no need to go decades . It can at least be around a year or few. Lets be real here. KTM has a habit of releasing products before they’ve been fully gone through.Just look at the 8 years or so to put in a decent estart on the 2 strokes that KTM knew was flawed from the start. KTM 4 strokes never had the 2 stroke problems with estart. KTM knew the whole time what needed to be done to fix from day one.

So what do you think the first 2009 ktm 300 estart owners thought in 2009???not that it would break and guys might have to drop close to $500 to fix.

They sure didn’t think it would take till 2017 to finally get it done right. 

Thats just one issue as an example. Hey we will see. KTMs are great bikes but like every bike it will show what it needs or doesn’t need. Maybe it’s great.. and maybe got some stuff to work on.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

KTM has a habit of releasing products before they’ve been fully gone through.

Not sure why you're here preening yourself over this in the KTM forum.  Beaters have the same overly simplistic oil injection system (you know, the one that so many Beater owners end up removing).

Edited by redrider144
  • Helpful 2

The TPI bikes are cool!!

I think the next generation TPI will be awesome. I just want to thank everyone who has purchased a TPI bike thus far. This will help facilitate further funding for What’s to come. . :-).

you make a good point. Get a carburetor bike while you can. By the time the bike wears out, they will have the TPI sorted. 

Edited by SmokeX
Correction needed
  • Like 4

I have three buddies with tpi bikes in the 50hour range, 1500 ft above sea level, no problems. I have some other friends that ride at high elevation out west and they ride carbed bikes with lectron due to seizures of tpi bikes they've seen. . The carbed bikes feel more powerful to me. I think a lot of people will take a little less power rather than mess with jetting.

• Like 1