Video: KTM'S CARB VS TPI (TRANSFER PORT INJECTION)

27 minutes ago, pomoco said:

I have three buddies with tpi bikes in the 50hour range, 1500 ft above sea level, no problems. I have some other friends that ride at high elevation out west and they ride carbed bikes with lectron due to seizures of tpi bikes they've seen. . The carbed bikes feel more powerful to me. I think a lot of people will take a little less power rather than mess with jetting.

I've never heard of tpi bike seizures at altitude. Quite the opposite actually. Any evidence of this happening or just rumors?

• Helpful 1

That tpi group is good. every 5th post is something about a major issue, seizure, or weird running problem. I have been watching that group and damn some of the problems are just crazy.

Anyways I am not trying to one up a carbed bike so  please don't quote me and make a hissy fit argument about my post. BTW my bikes A 19 CARBED. ?

I remember the KTM dealer trying to  make it seem like the 300 tpi was gold and I couldn't buy one even if I had cash. HAHAH!

Edited by 240ZDAN
  • Like 4

46 minutes ago, offrd beatr said:

I've never heard of tpi bike seizures at altitude. Quite the opposite actually. Any evidence of this happening or just rumors?

I haven't personally heard of any, but the ECU stores the measured constants in memory that it uses for density compensation. They only get updated on startup.

For me in the Ozarks that wouldn't be a problem.  But if you're in a part of the US that can have several 1000 ft elevation changes in one ride, the potential could be there.  The biggest potential risk would be firing it up at high elevation and going down in elevation in one continuous ride, without shutting off.

Edited by redrider144
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, luckypunk said:

I was just watching some vids and saw this one that popped up that seems to be a montage of the (facebook) user posted problem vids

Here's your video @nthusiastt (credit to luckypunk).

I already knew the bike has problems, which is why I commented as such.

Edited by redrider144
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

They were telling me about their riding adventures in Colorado and why they run lectron carbs. , I didn't see it. This particular area has elevation changes of up to 7000 feet in one ride. One of the guys telling the story owns a dealership that has husky as one of its brands, so he's no idiot and certainly likes husky. The other guy is pretty credible.
  • Like 1

This thread is pretty funny, but also timely as I'm selling my 2 stroke 300, buying a new gen 4 stroke instead. 

My 300 is like the hot crazy chick, great sometimes, other times a major liability. 

I've ridden the new ktm 300 tpi and while I like it, I live in Washington State and our terrain has very significant elevation changes and our seasons can have us going from 30 degrees to 100 degrees. Considering where I ride, the 4 stroke really has the upper hand. 

The new generation of 4 strokes by KTM/Husky and Beta that I've ridden are so light, nimble and powerful, it takes away much of the downside of dumping a 2 stroke. 

So, Feb 1st I'm buying a 2018 fe450 to compliment my 2016 fe450 which I love... just want a lighter variation for extreme enduro days. One day I'll sell the 2016 and perhaps buy a 2 stroke again, but for now I'm glad to dump the hot chick..

Ok, carry on and keep clubbing each other like baby seals!

• Like 1

I ride in Michigan, the temperature varies greatly which makes my tpi a good choice. I was tired of chasing my tail with carb tuning. 80+ hours and running flawless so far. Oil tanks had early issues and I think they all have been fixed, they leaked at the crappy looking seams.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, redrider144 said:

You're right, like I said.   I was totally wrong when I said I saw you in a purple tutu.  It was fuscia.

Nope, is was salmon - remember?, it matched  your slippers...   ?

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, pomoco said:
14 hours ago, offrd beatr said:

They were telling me about their riding adventures in Colorado and why they run lectron carbs. , I didn't see it. This particular area has elevation changes of up to 7000 feet in one ride. One of the guys telling the story owns a dealership that has husky as one of its brands, so he's no idiot and certainly likes husky. The other guy is pretty credible.

Yeah 7000 ft change in one ride could do it.  Basically, going down in elevation, every few thousand feet you'd want to pull in the clutch, kill the engine, and restart it.  

I don't remember the full procedure though....it might have to be in neutral with no throttle for 15 seconds or something like that to update the constants.

• Helpful 1

19 minutes ago, Dirt Rider 12345 said:

Would be nice to follow a thread without getting emails every few mins with this kind of bullshit 

Of course, your useless comment excluded right?

KTM's TPI is based on a Kiwi that goes by @uniflow.  He mostly hangs out on KTM Talk, but there's a wealth of awesome info he's put out on TPI.  One of his TPI designs for a YZ250 used premix only, no additional oil injection system.  It predates KTM's TPI by several years.

What I can't confirm is whether the KTM TPI injectors can pass enough oil safely, to where one could go premix only and delete the oil injection system.  That would be my preference.

Edited by redrider144
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1

18 minutes ago, redrider144 said:

Of course, your useless comment excluded right?

KTM's TPI is based on a Kiwi that goes by @uniflow.  He mostly hangs out on KTM Talk, but there's a wealth of awesome info he's put out on TPI.  One of his TPI designs for a YZ250 used premix only, no additional oil injection system.  It predates KTM's TPI by several years.

What I can't confirm is whether the KTM TPI injectors can pass enough oil safely, to where one could go premix only and delete the oil injection system.  That would be my preference.

In stock form no, the injectors would need to flow more fuel and the stock mc3 computer isn’t very tunable. 

32 minutes ago, redrider144 said:

Yeah 7000 ft change in one ride could do it.  Basically, going down in elevation, every few thousand feet you'd want to pull in the clutch, kill the engine, and restart it.  

I don't remember the full procedure though....it might have to be in neutral with no throttle for 15 seconds or something like that to update the constants.

Shut the motor off for 5 seconds, doesn’t matter what gear your in or throttle position, you can do it while coasting then bump start.

• Like 3