HONDA Z50 MINI TRAIL REVIVAL!! Possible engine swap..

Hey guys,  

I have a 1969 (approximately) Honda Z50. It was given to me after my uncle died. He would ride it around the dirt lake road between our families houses with a beer in one hand and a cigarette hanging out of the side of his mouth laughing the entire way. If you've ever seen or owned a Z50, they are a little ridiculous. All I wanted when I was younger was to ride his mini bike but I never got the opportunity. After he died, it sat in his garage for a number of years until i eventually came to own it. 

Unfortunately after sitting for so long, it is not starting at the moment. In addition he was not much of a mechanic so it needs some serious TLC. I thought it would be a great honor to restore it in his name and put it back on those lake roads. 

I need help guys. I can figure my way out around a bike but I am a little curious where to start with this old hunk. I would be happy to get it running again but I am also looking at possibly engine swapping this little guy (80cc or 125cc) if possible. And I know what you're thinking, "waste of time.. or this idiot has too much time on your hands"......agreed but I think you can agree that would be pretty badass. And for the short amount of time this thing gets used it would be a fun little project for nights at the lake. 

If you have any advice on where exactly to start or if the engine swap is possible please let me know. Not looking to hear from any of you automatic 'nay-sayers,' have a little imagination and appeal to your younger 12 year old self. 

Thanks, 
Chip

• Like 1

Hey guys,  
I have a 1969 (approximately) Honda Z50. It was given to me after my uncle died. He would ride it around the dirt lake road between our families houses with a beer in one hand and a cigarette hanging out of the side of his mouth laughing the entire way. If you've ever seen or owned a Z50, they are a little ridiculous. All I wanted when I was younger was to ride his mini bike but I never got the opportunity. After he died, it sat in his garage for a number of years until i eventually came to own it. 
Unfortunately after sitting for so long, it is not starting at the moment. In addition he was not much of a mechanic so it needs some serious TLC. I thought it would be a great honor to restore it in his name and put it back on those lake roads. 
I need help guys. I can figure my way out around a bike but I am a little curious where to start with this old hunk. I would be happy to get it running again but I am also looking at possibly engine swapping this little guy (80cc or 125cc) if possible. And I know what you're thinking, "waste of time.. or this idiot has too much time on your hands"......agreed but I think you can agree that would be pretty badass. And for the short amount of time this thing gets used it would be a fun little project for nights at the lake. 

If you have any advice on where exactly to start or if the engine swap is possible please let me know. Not looking to hear from any of you automatic 'nay-sayers,' have a little imagination and appeal to your younger 12 year old self. 
Thanks, 
Chip
Congratulations Chip .
Time to get started on your project.
A) Give the machine a good wash and dump the old fuel and oil. A clean machine is easier to evaluate.
B) Find a safe place to commence the disassembly process and store the parts.
Get a box of ziploc bags and a few Sharpies. These are for the inventory of your hardware/ bolts/ small parts and pieces.
Get a few plastic tubs for the bigger parts.
C) Invest in new chemicals for the cleaning process.( carb cleaner/ spray Brake cleaner,) etc.. A box of nitrite gloves are nice to have also.
Zip-ties are great for securing components together.
D) Invest in a good set of J.I.S screwdrivers.
The screws on the machine are NOT Phillips. They are J.I.S.(Japanese Industrial standard). Note the punch dot on the screw head.
These will save you a bunch of grief when disassembling your bike.
E) A digital camera or your cell phone camera is invaluable for documentation of the project and when you start reassembling .
Take your time,
Take bunches of photos and have fun with the project.
Be methodical and don't rush. Do one system at a time. It's going to cost you some money and time, but always well worth the effort. Keep us posted, and we like photos.
Good luck,
PaydayGabe in Vegas .
  • Like 1

PaydayGabe summed it up well, my only suggestion is to not try and upgrade this bike, keep it stock that's where the value is and they are just so cool stock.  These bikes were really never intended to go fast, like your uncle, they were made simply to have fun.  Now you have fun and keep us posted!