Yamaha 125TTR Won't Start

Hey Thumpers,

I have a 2008/2009 TTR 125 that won't start. It was a family bike purchased brand new from Yamaha dealer that has been cold blooded since day 1. This bike has been used and abused. I hate to admit it but for a lot of this bike's life, it was only being started using starting fluid spray. At this point it has been sitting in the garage not being used and it is very very rare that someone is able to get it started. It feels like it has no compression whatsoever when kicked. I have cleaned the carb but it didn't seem to make much of a difference. Is there a way to test the compression and find out what is going on?

Thanks, 

Chip

Are you sure the kick starter is working and turning the engine over?  Verify that first, then to check compression remove the spark plug, thread in a compression gauge, kick it over and read the compression.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, phabib said:

Are you sure the kick starter is working and turning the engine over?  Verify that first, then to check compression remove the spark plug, thread in a compression gauge, kick it over and read the compression.

Thanks for the reply. I was just curious if this may be the issue because the kick lever has no tension what so ever, as it does not even begin to turn the engine over. Pretty much the only way to start it is to spray starting fluid in air filter, close lid, get a running start, cross your fingers and bum start it.

If the kick was not turning engine over, what would that possibly mean?

Chip

There is a gear inside that when you kick it makes the motor turn over. If kick started is very soft but you put it in gear can't push it that is first thing I would look into

22 hours ago, Cody Ludlum said:

There is a gear inside that when you kick it makes the motor turn over. If kick started is very soft but you put it in gear can't push it that is first thing I would look into

Ill check that out thanks. The kick has absolutely no resistance at all. Probably going to end up pulling it apart.

I vote for a broken kick.  The fact you can bump start it means you have compression, and everything else you need to make the engine run.