DirtBikeHead

YZ250 woods AND MX machine - possible?

Great info, thanks guys! I'm already searching for the 18" WR wheel. Already have the FWW, large tank, hand guards, rad braces, skid guard, spark arrestor, FMF Gnarly. 
How about gearing for woods... I am running stock setup now but also have a 13T front sprocket I have yet to try. 

13 Too low for me on the nasty, I tried that. Went back to stock so 1st is tall enough to restart on a steep hill without spinning up immediately. I really like the stock mx gearing range.
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Tahoe Gator said:

Just curious and excuse if naive, but why does 1” less on the rear wheel matter so much? It lowers the rear a bit, but what, 1/2 inch? Is it just that? And what is the benefit? Lower seat height? To make the head tube angle more slack? What’s the big benefit?

And I’m a bit more curious as I just put an IRC M5B size 130 tire on my X and for sure it’s bigger (yes wider, but also a bit taller) than OEM and so wondering if I’ve made a mistake with that tire choice?

The 18” tires have a taller sidewall, so an 18” wheel w/ a 120 tire is just about the same outside diameter as a 19” / 120 combo. The taller sidewall gives you more flex for hitting obstacles, but in high speed turns (esp on hardpack) the taller sidewall is more squirmy and doesn’t give as much feel, so the MX guys like the 19”. It’s like how track cars run big rims and low profile tires for max handling, and street cars run smaller rims with taller tires for better comfort and pothole absorbtion.

I wouldn’t worry about your new tire being taller. You can always run a few mm more sag to make up for the slight change in geometry, might be worth trying if you notice a change in the handling.

4 hours ago, DirtBikeHead said:

Great info, thanks guys! I'm already searching for the 18" WR wheel. Already have the FWW, large tank, hand guards, rad braces, skid guard, spark arrestor, FMF Gnarly. 

How about gearing for woods... I am running stock setup now but also have a 13T front sprocket I have yet to try. 

13 tooth is a bit low for my personal taste, I feel it makes first gear too jumpy. But try it out and see how you like it, and then go from there. I like 14t front and 51t rear, just a little bit shorter gearing than stock. 

• Like 2

While we're on the subject, what's you guys thoughts on the Kenda Washoughals 1 or 2? When I hear Kenda, I think back to when I was a kid and used them because they were cheap. But I'm reading some good things about them as a good all around tire. 

My YZ250 needs new tires. I've been using the Michelin Starcross 5's lately which have been decent. Not a big Dunlop fan. Ride a lot of sand and loam.

While we're on the subject, what's you guys thoughts on the Kenda Washoughals 1 or 2? When I hear Kenda, I think back to when I was a kid and used them because they were cheap. But I'm reading some good things about them as a good all around tire. 
My YZ250 needs new tires. I've been using the Michelin Starcross 5's lately which have been decent. Not a big Dunlop fan. Ride a lot of sand and loam.

Just came back from a mud and more mud maiden voyage on new IRC M5B and Bridgestone M101. Wow, what an improvement. Wish I had ditched the OEM Dunlop rubber in the showroom. It would pack up and turn to ice skates. Granted, I switched to Tubliss at the same time so probably have to give that its fair credit too :-)

IMG_2212.JPG
  • Like 4

On 1/19/2019 at 3:53 PM, Tahoe Gator said:

Just came back from a mud and more mud maiden voyage on new IRC M5B and Bridgestone M101. Wow, what an improvement. Wish I had ditched the OEM Dunlop rubber in the showroom. It would pack up and turn to ice skates. Granted, I switched to Tubliss at the same time so probably have to give that its fair credit too 🙂

IMG_2212.JPG

Nice, bike looks great! I just picked up a pair of the Kenda Washoughals 2's. They look really nice, still have to mount them and try them out. 

Nice, bike looks great! I just picked up a pair of the Kenda Washoughals 2's. They look really nice, still have to mount them and try them out. 

go Tubliss if you’re inclined!