Western WA trail explorers group

On 8/19/2019 at 9:43 PM, TheDStroyer said:

Any chance your exploring this area this week? I could go Thursday or Friday.

I can't ride during the week, unfortunately. There is definitely more to explore in Easton, it's just hard to tell what you're going to come across. I'd be interested to go back for sure.

Edited by Horgh

• 2 weeks later...

@TheDStroyer and I were looking for some off the grid riding a few weeks ago and stumbled across the most epic DH Mt. bike run. Not gonma dox where it is but it was definitely for advances and committed riders. Gaps that had to be made, corners that you dont want to blow out on. Was dusk as we were leaving pretty dark in the trees. The second shot is maybe a 30' jump with12-15' of drop and then you need to be making a slight turn when you land it to keep on line. I'd like to get back and watch some riders hitting it.20190813_202411.thumb.jpg.48d161aabcb2ede424cb16f6d79eaa75.jpg

20190813_203918.thumb.jpg.0a68c459fddcd8e4c07ef8e99656a52a.jpg

11 hours ago, guns_equal_freedom said:

It's smaller than it was in the past.
Too many meth heads in the area for my taste.
Did you dual sport in or did you truck your bike in?
Do a Google search.

I trucked the bike in, there were ~6 other trucks already parked there, saw a few bikes out on the trails. It's plenty big for what I like, though we did run onto private property by mistake at one point. Luckily the owners were cool and showed us how to get back to the trails. I didn't see any meth heads, but I'm also not too worried. Always carry.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, KaToomTime said:

I try and ride stuff now I cant ride in the winter. Still want to go hit middle and north fork roads just for the scenery.

Middle fork is paved over, it's so boring now, but I agree that the views are pretty. I still haven't explored one off-shoot of North Fork. It's an area that has a rocky slight uphill with a patch of logs/boulders/rooted river bed a few hundred yards up. Beyond that looks to be some overgrown single track, but I have yet to go beyond the boulders.

I'm told there is a way to get to highway 2 from back there, but I always assumed it's via the permit-required private logging roads (and off limits to us dirt heads). However, now I wonder if there is a single track that goes there. Not sure this one is it, though, it was pretty overgrown and may end just beyond eyesight and end up being a waste of time. Still, I want to check it out.

Edited by Horgh

36 minutes ago, Horgh said:

I trucked the bike in, there were ~6 other trucks already parked there, saw a few bikes out on the trails. It's plenty big for what I like, though we did run onto private property by mistake at one point. Luckily the owners were cool and showed us how to get back to the trails. I didn't see any meth heads, but I'm also not too worried. Always carry.

It's a fun place. Everything being user-built (aka unsanctioned) means the terrain and trails are different than you get anywhere else around here). It's small, but difficult to navigate unless you're pretty familiar with it (and many of the good trails are hard to find). The drawbacks are that the trails are short, and you can ride the whole thing in 3 hours. I like to go every once in a while for a change of pace. 

1 hour ago, jrodicus100 said:

It's a fun place. Everything being user-built (aka unsanctioned) means the terrain and trails are different than you get anywhere else around here). It's small, but difficult to navigate unless you're pretty familiar with it (and many of the good trails are hard to find). The drawbacks are that the trails are short, and you can ride the whole thing in 3 hours. I like to go every once in a while for a change of pace. 

Yeah, finding trails was half of the challenge. We got into a couple areas that dead-ended and had to turn around, and rode some areas that probably were trails at one point. We were riding Walker the next day, so it was a good warmup session without destroying leg muscles for the tougher stuff the next day. I liked it ?

9 hours ago, Horgh said:

Google up Machias car break-ins, meth heads.
There have been a few people that have had issues there with the meth heads and locals.
If you like it, more power to you.
I was not impressed with it when I rode there.
I would much rather ride Walker.

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 11:16 PM, KaToomTime said:

@TheDStroyer and I were looking for some off the grid riding a few weeks ago and stumbled across the most epic DH Mt. bike run. Not gonma dox where it is but it was definitely for advances and committed riders. Gaps that had to be made, corners that you dont want to blow out on. Was dusk as we were leaving pretty dark in the trees. The second shot is maybe a 30' jump with12-15' of drop and then you need to be making a slight turn when you land it to keep on line. I'd like to get back and watch some riders hitting it.20190813_202411.thumb.jpg.48d161aabcb2ede424cb16f6d79eaa75.jpg

20190813_203918.thumb.jpg.0a68c459fddcd8e4c07ef8e99656a52a.jpg

I hate it when I take a wrong turn onto some MTB trials.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Wanted to revive this thread and see what people recommend for some riding near Cle Elum this time of year? Haven't ridden that area much and know some of it is closed now.  Hoping to get a couple rides in before end of the year and be on the east side of Snoqualmie.  Rode Reiter this weekend to brush some dust off (been out with Appendix surgery) and the terrain really is getting too torn up and rocky to the point most the trails aren't that enjoyable.

Any recommendations for some nice trails (not dual-sport since I run a hybrid gummy rear) that aren't super sketchy is much appreciated.

• Like 1

On 9/5/2019 at 7:01 AM, Leftdagrid said:

I hate it when I take a wrong turn onto some MTB trials.

Haha totally missed this in September. We were hiking so didn't have the bikes. Possibly some old, grown over double track criss-crossing the area could lead to secret trail nirvana or nothing. It is one of those areas where you are butted up against thousands of acres of private logging property.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2019 at 12:14 PM, pnw_obrigade said:

Wanted to revive this thread and see what people recommend for some riding near Cle Elum this time of year? Haven't ridden that area much and know some of it is closed now.  Hoping to get a couple rides in before end of the year and be on the east side of Snoqualmie.  Rode Reiter this weekend to brush some dust off (been out with Appendix surgery) and the terrain really is getting too torn up and rocky to the point most the trails aren't that enjoyable.

Any recommendations for some nice trails (not dual-sport since I run a hybrid gummy rear) that aren't super sketchy is much appreciated.

Best, and most epic riding near Cle Elum is Taneum. However winter snows are quickly closing access.

2 hours ago, Chuck. said:

Best, and most epic riding near Cle Elum is Taneum. However winter snows are quickly closing access.

Thats what I have seen so looks like it might have to wait until spring.  Also know you can get stuck riding some nasty areas in Taneum if you don't know where you are going.

GPS + paper maps help.  The trails are signed at intersections. Cle Elum RD has a good online copy of their excellent paper map. I also like the Nat G map. Years ago the best was Green Trails maps, still avail at most outfitters.

With  smart phones you can have the map and GPS. ? But I would still pack paper maps and a compass.