Western WA trail explorers group

Ride in, DRZ400, range should't be an issue, beginner (about 100 miles on the "trails" with big pig BMW GSA). 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Horgh said:

The current plan is to meet at 11am where North Fork turns into a dirt road. I'm not sure if you guys are trucking your bikes or riding there, that could affect the meetup point. There is a nice dirt turn-out where North Fork intersects with 440th Pl SE here: https://goo.gl/maps/ghYvKxNcK9U2 . This is past the fork that goes to Ernie's Grove. That turnout can fit a few trucks. If we get a lot more interest, there are some other options for unloading/parking.

What are you guys riding and what's your fuel range and skill?

I'm on a 350 EXC-F, probably a 100 mile fuel range (I need a bigger tank), and hopefully on my way to intermediate ;)

I'm on a Husky TXC 250/310, range likely around 80 to 90 miles. I always unload at the location you referenced for North Fork rides. Dirt skill level around intermediate.

• Like 1

Some interesting things out there

F8719398-3922-4F16-BB53-013F94B2C69F.jpeg

• Like 3

Ok, so let's meet at 11am. If other people want to tag along, let me know. I'll check this thread and my PMs at 10am Saturday morning for any last-minute confirmations.

Late August, Huckleberry Ride.  This can be a mid-week after-work ride for folks on the eastside.

Forest fire smoke making it glow.

IMG_20170826_181610384.jpg.6fcca01ed90d6760f09e011af5678e72.jpgIMG_20170826_192934258_HDR.jpg.44c9e1d22b420e234a0e7bf4d9020d48.jpg

Lots of roads like this...

IMG_20170826_192549712.jpg.298172fb62b69ec2b3807be203141c35.jpg

The take...

IMG_20170826_200214530.jpg.f3e59d44119f22b0c3b1e2d1182f5d48.jpg

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, KaToomTime said:

Late August, Huckleberry Ride.  This can be a mid-week after-work ride for folks on the eastside.

Forest fire smoke making it glow.

IMG_20170826_181610384.jpg.6fcca01ed90d6760f09e011af5678e72.jpgIMG_20170826_192934258_HDR.jpg.44c9e1d22b420e234a0e7bf4d9020d48.jpg

Lots of roads like this...

IMG_20170826_192549712.jpg.298172fb62b69ec2b3807be203141c35.jpg

The take...

IMG_20170826_200214530.jpg.f3e59d44119f22b0c3b1e2d1182f5d48.jpg

That looks pretty! Remind us when it's coming up :)

• Like 1

For a North Fork Rd ride, if you guys get pressed for parking, there's a small parking lot on the corner of SE Renig Rd & 428th Ave SE on the way to North Fork Rd SE that you may be able to use for a truck or two (would probably be a good idea to check out signage there but its never had more then a car or two every time I've been by there). It would mean some pavement riding, I forget how many miles to the dirt. The one time I was out there last fall I trucked my bike up to dirt part of the North Fork Rd until I found a small turnout to park at.

Renig428thParkingNoForkSno-L.jpg

I didn't find much in the way of very interesting riding, but the scenery is amazing. Some pics to wet the appetite:

IMG_2717-M.jpg

IMG_2734-M.jpg

IMG_2750-L.jpg

Edited by Woods_Rider

Been awhile since ive been up there but I was thinking that whole area was gated off by the Weyhauser Group and they were very strict on security.    Does the NF go to Lake Hancock, back of Mt Si and almost to Duval/Monroe? 

2 minutes ago, cougbike said:

Been awhile since ive been up there but I was thinking that whole area was gated off by the Weyhauser Group and they were very strict on security.    Does the NF go to Lake Hancock, back of Mt Si and almost to Duval/Monroe? 

Used to and Weyco used to leave gates to the mainline open every once in a while (30 years ago haha). I haven't been up there for a bit, but I am pretty sure all of the Hancock (is that who owns it now?) forest is gated all the way up until USFS land. There could be some places you can get through on a moto but I wouldn't even bother if it is on Hancock, they patrol, have security and I am pretty sure they would have no problem calling the Sheriff if they caught you. Their rules for access (you can pay for access for hunting, fishing and firewood gathering) do not allow motorcycles, at all, even in the back of your truck or on a trailer.  The folks with cabins up at the lakes have keys for the gates off of the public road.  I've been up above SMC lake looking down on it, canoed in Lake Hancock, driven over the Tolt River (in the watershed below Told Reservoir) but that was all back in the day when someone would wave back at you and not call in a SWAT team.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, cougbike said:

Yep, Katoom has it right, no way to get to Duvall/Monroe on the dirt roads from the Snoqualmie/North Bend area, its all gated and patrolled by security.

And an additional FYI, there is no legal single track riding anywhere in the North Fork Rd SE area (or anywhere in the surrounding area for that matter), so please don't venture off the logging roads, or onto mtn bike, hiking trails, etc. As tempting as it might be its like shooting yourself in the foot and will only give additional ammo to the anti-orv crowd. The anti orv'ers (basically everyone that does not ride dirt bikes) are regularly out in force up there and will only be too happy to snap a pic of you and share it with whatever local authority has jurisdiction.

Its just not worth it, if you want to ride single track, there's plenty of legal killer single track sprinkled all over the state.

Edited by Woods_Rider
  • Like 2

The closer you are to the Big City, the more locked up things are. If you like singletrack, get used to driving a while each way. Capitol Forest and Walker Valley are your best west side bets in season. The Nirvana that is Little Naches opens June 15 th. Those seeking self abuse can try Evans Creek and Elbe Hills. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Woods_Rider said:

Yep, Katoom has it right, no way to get to Duvall/Monroe on the dirt roads from the Snoqualmie/North Bend area, its all gated and patrolled by security.

And an additional FYI, there is no legal single track riding anywhere in the North Fork Rd SE area (or anywhere in the surrounding area for that matter), so please don't venture off the logging roads, or onto mtn bike, hiking trails, etc. As tempting as it might be its like shooting yourself in the foot and will only give additional ammo to the anti-orv crowd. The anti orv'ers (basically everyone that does not ride dirt bikes) are regularly out in force up there and will only be too happy to snap a pic of you and share it with whatever local authority has jurisdiction.

Its just not worth it, if you want to ride single track, there's plenty of legal killer single track sprinkled all over the state.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but 25 miles in, at the shooting pit, that becomes public land. Shooting, camping, etc. are allowed, which to me also means riding. I agree that we shouldn't try to find trails on the privately-owned logging land up until that point, but once it's public, it's fair game. I know there are hiking trailheads up there, but those are marked as such.

Again, this ride isn't to find gnarly single track. It's to go outside, see some pretty sights, and make some new friends. Only three of us are braving it anyway ;)

Edited by Horgh

1 hour ago, Horgh said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but 25 miles in, at the shooting pit, that becomes public land. Shooting, camping, etc. are allowed, which to me also means riding. I agree that we shouldn't try to find trails on the privately-owned logging land up until that point, but once it's public, it's fair game. I know there are hiking trailheads up there, but those are marked as such.

Again, this ride isn't to find gnarly single track. It's to go outside, see some pretty sights, and make some new friends. Only three of us are braving it anyway ;)

You are behind the times. Read up on MVUM (motor vehicle use map) and which ranger districts have published theirs and which ones have not.   Here is MT Baker/Snoq. NF:

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/mbs/landmanagement/resourcemanagement/?cid=stelprdb5160280

With that said, make your own call.

From the MVUM FAQs  ;)

Why does the MVUM apply only to wheeled motor vehicles and not snowmobiles and other forest users?
Nationally, unregulated use of motor vehicles on the national forests has resulted in a proliferation of user-created routes that were not planned, evaluated, or managed by the Forest Service. Environmental damage has been widespread as a result.

On the other hand, nationally, widespread clear cutting and resource raping of the national forest through carefully planned, evaluated and regulated activities managed by the Forest Service has also related in widespread environmental damage that has potentially far exceeded the damage done by motor vehicle use, especially as it related to water quality and the ability to retain water and filter sediment during periods of heavy rain and snow melt.

Edited by KaToomTime
  • Like 2

I love exploring. Surprisingly enough, many don't. Most people seem to only want to ride known trails...that already exist. I have found many old logging trails/roads locally that offer some badass singletrack, that have become game trails over the last 30-50 years. That being said...the riders I've toured these areas with, don't post their whereabouts online. To be fair...these discoveries are on "public" lands waiting to be "found". Gifford Pinchot offers as much area to explore as mountain singletrack riding.

• Like 2

I must be too dumb to read those maps. I don't understand what is what or where. More tax money put to good use. WA keeps passing laws to try to make me a criminal, I guess these are no different. I have bail money. 

As for this thread, I started it to get a group going. We don't have to post details of where we want to go or where we've been. I just think this is a better way to find you guys than Meetup or some other public forum. 

Party poopers. 

Edited by Horgh
  • Like 2

Was out on the coast last week and noticed several roads that were previously gated are now open and signed tsunami evacuation route.  Gonna dig some maps out and see if I can connect some together.   

• Like 2

I don't get that restriction, allowed, forbidden, private, public and what so ever stuff. It is my understanding of the law in general that if something isn't explicitly forbidden than it is allowed. I'll go by the rule of thumb that if there is no gate or sign clearly stating to not to pass/trespass/enter I'm free to go in and will do if I'm keen to do so. I have no reason to disobey these, at least at this point of my experience. Time and mileage will verify...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Horgh said:

I must be too dumb to read those maps. I don't understand what is what or where. More tax money put to good use. WA keeps passing laws to try to make me a criminal, I guess these are no different. I have bail money. 

As for this thread, I started it to get a group going. We don't have to post details of where we want to go or where we've been. I just think this is a better way to find you guys than Meetup or some other public forum. 

Party poopers. 

Who's being the party pooper? Somebody specifically requested "correct me if I'm wrong". :prof: You are better off don't ask don't tell. 

And you're right the goal of libtards is to turn law abiding citizens into criminals. Their utopia is everyone under the thumb of the government, poor and depenedant on the state.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Horgh said:

Just to be clear, I'm psyched for you getting out and exploring on your KTM and meeting new peeps to ride with, the North Fork area is pretty cool. I hope you all get good weather and have a great time.

Regarding attempting to "correct" you, from what I'm reading, you (and some others here) don't seem receptive to input that doesn't match your expectations, so I won't attempt to "correct" anything. Good luck out there and enjoy.

Edited by Woods_Rider
  • Like 1