Western WA trail explorers group

1 hour ago, Woods_Rider said:

Just to be clear, I'm psyched for you getting out and exploring on your KTM and meeting new peeps to ride with, the North Fork area is pretty cool. I hope you all get good weather and have a great time.

Regarding attempting to "correct" you, from what I'm reading, you (and some others here) don't seem receptive to input that doesn't match your expectations, so I won't attempt to "correct" anything. Good luck out there and enjoy.

Brother, you've got me all wrong. I wouldn't ask if I didn't want an answer. I'm frustrated with the stupid laws, but also with the minimal effort put into those maps. The whole "we won't be posting signs, read these maps and follow our rules" bull is typical for this state. I seriously can't decipher what those maps are telling me, so I'm bound to break the law and not even know it. I didn't even know this was a new law until you guys told me. The burden to know seems to be on the citizens, as usual. 

The party pooper line was in jest, I'll need to pile on the humor a little thicker with y'all 😉

Edited by Horgh
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Horgh said:

Brother, you've got me all wrong. I wouldn't ask if I didn't want an answer. I'm frustrated with the stupid laws, but also with the minimal effort put into those maps. The whole "we won't be posting signs, read these maps and follow our rules" bull is typical for this state. I seriously can't decipher what those maps are telling me, so I'm bound to break the law and not even know it. I didn't even know this was a new law until you guys told me. The burden to know seems to be on the citizens, as usual. 

The party pooper line was in jest, I'll need to pile on the humor a little thicker with y'all 😉

Bummed I can't make it I love exploring like this. You definitely have potential of getting stopped by snow at the end.

Yeah Happy Trails Wknds are tough for me but would like to make one of these sometime. I-90 corridor has lots of secrets

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KaToomTime said:

Bummed I can't make it I love exploring like this. You definitely have potential of getting stopped by snow at the end.

I'm looking forward to meeting you (based on your signature), so let's figure out when you can go and where :)

We'll let you guys know how today goes!

This sounds awesome to me. Started riding this year and already been to tahuya a few times, single and double track. Sometimes just riding logging roads and exploring are just as fun. Also, a big reason I plated my bike.

I'm constantly looking at Google maps/ earth for random roads and trails and just places to get to in general.

I'll be super busy into mid February but ill check back in when I have time to ride.

• Like 1

Well, it was a fun day for sure. I got my first miles off road on the DRZ (about 60-70?), landed on the ground only twice and didn't get hurt or nothing. Fun day for sure and looking forward to repeat it soon. My lens must have been fogged or dirty so only 2 pics that are half way decent...

20190119_122204.jpg

20190119_135013.jpg

• Like 6

Was a fun day of riding! You did a great job on the DRZ having it off-road for the first time.  Your tires were the only reason for the slow tip-overs, they are not quite aggressive enough for the snow.  I had some near crashes in the snow as well when I ventured off the tire tracks.

• Like 2

Yep, we had a successful ride! Thanks go to @M-Coupe99 for showing us some roads I wasn't aware of, we did find some intermediate+ terrain that actually gets more gnarly further in, something for next time. Weather cooperated and the views were great! Riding in the snow was good, especially to find the limits of my tires.

i-HXLRXNh-X2.jpg

i-7VX3Q5H-X2.jpg

i-sN8VVxz-X2.jpg

i-8GDsghS-X2.jpg

• Like 4

I actually got the stuff to make my bike street legal for Christmas. Blinkers, headlights, brake lights and horn are all working, just need to get the license plate light and tail light wired in and then button everything up. 

I will keep tabs on this group, seems like a great way to explore, meet people and learn off road riding. 

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 10:22 PM, menotknow said:

I don't get that restriction, allowed, forbidden, private, public and what so ever stuff. It is my understanding of the law in general that if something isn't explicitly forbidden than it is allowed. I'll go by the rule of thumb that if there is no gate or sign clearly stating to not to pass/trespass/enter I'm free to go in and will do if I'm keen to do so. I have no reason to disobey these, at least at this point of my experience. Time and mileage will verify...

A few years ago the NFS and many other forest owners, State, County, etc., changed the law to state "If it's not signed OPEN, then it's considered closed to use". You guys need to the read the rules on the website of every area you ride, BEFORE you ride there. We're our own worst enemy.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, BaddAndy said:

A few years ago the NFS and many other forest owners, State, County, etc., changed the law to state "If it's not signed OPEN, then it's considered closed to use". You guys need to the read the rules on the website of every area you ride, BEFORE you ride there. We're our own worst enemy.

Please don't get me wrong in any way here but I really want to understand it right and obey what is to be obeyed. I get that privately owned land will have its rules, so will the NFS and others. Nevertheless, if I come from a public road on a plated bike and do not cross any gates or "no entry" signs why would I care about them. As a driver/rider I am supposed to follow the signs and other indications. Quite simple: if there is a no right turn sign I do not turn, if there is a road to the right and no sign that would indicate to not to turn or enter why would I go to NFS web page or any other place to check if I'm allowed to go there or not? It's like asking me to check with local HOA if the color of my car is compliant with their rules before I exit highway. 

• Like 3

I think some of the confusion is regarding roads vs trails. If you're riding a plated motorcycle, of course you are able to ride/drive on any roads where any other plated vehicle (cars, trucks, etc) can go.

When it comes to trails though, generally, you are not allowed to venture on to any public trails in WA State unless those trails are specifically identified as legal to ride motorcycles/ORV's on.

That's really it in a nutshell, unless its already considered an ORV trail on public land, you can't take your motorcycle on that trail legally.

For identifying which trails are available, plenty or resources out there for that. I'll see if I can find some links to that info and post (unless someone beats me to it), seems like that would be a good list for this thread if people are talking about exploring, would be good to know where the legal trail riding is, and where it is not. But generally, for trails, best to assume they are closed to ORV's until you learn otherwise. Sad, but true.

Edited by Woods_Rider
  • Like 1

On 1/18/2019 at 10:22 PM, menotknow said:

I don't get that restriction, allowed, forbidden, private, public and what so ever stuff. It is my understanding of the law in general that if something isn't explicitly forbidden than it is allowed. I'll go by the rule of thumb that if there is no gate or sign clearly stating to not to pass/trespass/enter I'm free to go in and will do if I'm keen to do so. I have no reason to disobey these, at least at this point of my experience. Time and mileage will verify...

At one time I remember that a road or a trail had to be clearly marked or on a map in order for it to be considered "open".
YMMV.

• Like 1

To make it more confusing... in the OWNF, you can legally ride cross-country/off-trail (at least until the finish the new travel plan).

Can I assume that when/if a road turns into trail it will be marked with some sort of sign or gate? Please say yes...

47 minutes ago, menotknow said:

Can I assume that when/if a road turns into trail it will be marked with some sort of sign or gate? Please say yes...

If it's not marked or gated, just keep riding. Each NF is slightly different, but generally if you're really not allowed to be there, it will be somewhat obvious.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, menotknow said:

Any trail is a road with enough confidence and the right tires 😉

But on a serious note... I prefer to obey laws, I'm sure we all do. But I'm also pretty sure we all ride or drive above the speed limit fairly often. Am I going to ride on property clearly marked as private? Probably not. Am I going to try riding a trail that off-shoots from a logging road 30 miles away from the nearest paved road? Probably. But I would not force anyone to follow, we ride our own ride.

So speaking of riding... anyone up for anything this coming Sunday?

There are a number of places in GPNF where abandoned roads...note: I said "abandoned" not closed, that allow some some awesome vistas after some effort on a bike. I imagine it's much the same in most national forests.

So when are we having a trail building weekend on the north fork? :devil: 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, menotknow said:

Nevertheless, if I come from a public road on a plated bike and do not cross any gates or "no entry" signs why would I care about them. As a driver/rider I am supposed to follow the signs and other indications. Quite simple: if there is a no right turn sign I do not turn, if there is a road to the right and no sign that would indicate to not to turn or enter why would I go to NFS web page or any other place to check if I'm allowed to go there or not? It's like asking me to check with local HOA if the color of my car is compliant with their rules before I exit highway. 

If you are in a NF, on BLM, DNR, or county land, it is not a "Public" road, then yes, you will need to check to see if it's an open road or trail before you ride it. But, also yes, if you're on a public road that enters said area and is not gated or signed closed, it's yours for the using. And what everyone else said after my post.

• Helpful 1