IraqvetUSMC

2017 VS NEW 2019 KX 450?

So in a couple years I should be able to get a pretty good deal on a 17 KX 450 that already has a spring conversion kit for the forks. The bike will have fairly low hours and will be taken care of. I am assuming I could find a good deal in 2 years on a 19 KX 450 but it will still be more expensive than the 17. Those who have ridden both is there a noticeable difference other than e-start and hydraulic clutch? It's always nice to have the newer bike but I would be coming off of an 08 KX 450 and I ride only MX but I do not race and I am sure the 17 FI and narrower chassis will be big upgrade from my 08 with a carb. Just want some thoughts from some one who has ridden both.

Thanks

I came off a 2007 crf450, picked up a new 2016 kx450 when it came out and it was/is mind blowingly good. I added a titanium fmf pipe, got an Enzo re valve and spring setup and couldn't be happier. The technology on ALL of these new bikes are brilliant, major step up. I have not ridden the new Kawi, but I have heard it is really great from local pro's. New spring forks, electric start, hydro clutch... However, If I was you I would honestly ask yourself this: are you looking to get the best bike available or the best deal? You said you don't race so I'm assuming lap times are not your priority. Why do you need the best bike you can possibly get? Its s easy to get sucked into fancy marketing but the truth is that because of the upgrades to the new Kawi, you'll be able to get a KILLER deal on a previous generation Kawi. If you want the very best bike, get a KTM, I tried a 350 the other day and it was really impressive, super light... If you want to save cash but crave a green bike, get some left over previous generations from a dealership, or maybe even consider a two stroke 250. For $3k you'll find a completely restored vet owned kx or yz for $3k. 

I'll add this: maybe ask some people at local mx tracks about trying out their bikes to see if you like them in exchange for a six pack? I'm sure most will decline and you'll get a feel for what the new tech can offer you.

Thanks for the reply Chris. I will likely buy my friends 2017 when he is done with it in 2 years as he usually keeps a bike for 2 years and then sells it for something else. While E-Start is nice it's not a deal breaker and neither is a hydro clutch. The upside to the 17 is the forks have already been converted to spring buy the previous owner and that alone is enough for me. I think in the end and as far as riding goes I really would not feel the difference between the 17 and the 19 and I know this 17 will be maintained very well. I cant wait till this summer to feel the difference between the 17 and my 08 lol. I am glad you are liking your 16.

Prior to buying my 2019 KX450 I had the 2017.5 sxf450.  No complaints about either bike's performance.  Only issue I had with the KTM was price. People say you get what you pay for..... OKAY.. I didn't notice a better bike for the money just a different bike.  I say go for the 2019 kawi.. I only left Kawi to get away from the triple chamber air fork. When Kawi ditched  it, I came back. I've owned the 2013, 2016, and now I'm on the 2019 kx450 and like it the best of the three.  I'm sure whoever thinks that KTM is the best is willing to pay for the little thought out details (better airbox design etc) but for now my money is better spent on the Kawi.... I wouldn't mind a 350, too bad kawi doesn't make one....

1 hour ago, jophis_37 said:

Prior to buying my 2019 KX450 I had the 2017.5 sxf450.  No complaints about either bike's performance.  Only issue I had with the KTM was price. People say you get what you pay for..... OKAY.. I didn't notice a better bike for the money just a different bike.  I say go for the 2019 kawi.. I only left Kawi to get away from the triple chamber air fork. When Kawi ditched  it, I came back. I've owned the 2013, 2016, and now I'm on the 2019 kx450 and like it the best of the three.  I'm sure whoever thinks that KTM is the best is willing to pay for the little thought out details (better airbox design etc) but for now my money is better spent on the Kawi.... I wouldn't mind a 350, too bad kawi doesn't make one....

I am sure the bikes are all pretty good for the novice rider. I would bet the last place 2019 RMZ 450 would feel much better compared to my 08 lol. So besides the electric start and hydro clutch and spring forks, how does the 19 feel and handle vs your 16? I was actually dead set on a 19 for a good price but I think money wise and my limited riding time makes the 17 the better choice for me. I know its 2 years down the road so I am just trying to plan ahead but I doubt I will be able to find a very low hour 19 for under 5K.  And while KTM is nice I like the looks of the Kawi better and KTMs are expensive. The good thing is I wouldn't have to worry about the air forks on the 17 since they were swapped out already. I guess I will just have to see what's available when the time comes.

52 minutes ago, IraqvetUSMC said:

I am sure the bikes are all pretty good for the novice rider. I would bet the last place 2019 RMZ 450 would feel much better compared to my 08 lol. So besides the electric start and hydro clutch and spring forks, how does the 19 feel and handle vs your 16? I was actually dead set on a 19 for a good price but I think money wise and my limited riding time makes the 17 the better choice for me. I know its 2 years down the road so I am just trying to plan ahead but I doubt I will be able to find a very low hour 19 for under 5K.  And while KTM is nice I like the looks of the Kawi better and KTMs are expensive. The good thing is I wouldn't have to worry about the air forks on the 17 since they were swapped out already. I guess I will just have to see what's available when the time comes.

I really like the 19. It handles well, turns great. I haven't had to send off my suspension for a re-valve yet. Just a few clicks here and there and it's good to go.  The power is great. I prefer the green plug on tracks that have good traction and black plug on slippery, dry hard-pack.  compared to my 16 which did have the air forks, the 19 is better.  I did have a company out east send me their converted spring forks for me try.  I didn't like them. Which is why I went to KTM for my next bike. However when it was time to replace the sxf.. I went green again.  Glad I did.  All I can say is, it's a great bike, rides well and I don't fuss with it in the pits. more time on the track and less time thinking about what I need to change or mod...Now with that said you should try both and make your own mind up.  If your focus is money/savings, go for the 17 then in a couple years go for the 19..

1 hour ago, jophis_37 said:

I really like the 19. It handles well, turns great. I haven't had to send off my suspension for a re-valve yet. Just a few clicks here and there and it's good to go.  The power is great. I prefer the green plug on tracks that have good traction and black plug on slippery, dry hard-pack.  compared to my 16 which did have the air forks, the 19 is better.  I did have a company out east send me their converted spring forks for me try.  I didn't like them. Which is why I went to KTM for my next bike. However when it was time to replace the sxf.. I went green again.  Glad I did.  All I can say is, it's a great bike, rides well and I don't fuss with it in the pits. more time on the track and less time thinking about what I need to change or mod...Now with that said you should try both and make your own mind up.  If your focus is money/savings, go for the 17 then in a couple years go for the 19..

I am glad you like your 19. I always said my next bike was going to be brand new but I can not justify buying a new bike for the little I get to ride a year. I am sure the 17 is going to feel much better than what I am on now. If I find a good deal on a 19 when the times come that I just can't pass I will go for it but for now saving money and getting a bike that's 9 years newer is the way to go I think.

15 minutes ago, IraqvetUSMC said:

I am glad you like your 19. I always said my next bike was going to be brand new but I can not justify buying a new bike for the little I get to ride a year. I am sure the 17 is going to feel much better than what I am on now. If I find a good deal on a 19 when the times come that I just can't pass I will go for it but for now saving money and getting a bike that's 9 years newer is the way to go I think.

Sounds like a good decision.  Most important have fun.  If racing isn't how you make your living then just find the bike that makes the most sense and have fun....good luck.

1 minute ago, jophis_37 said:

Sounds like a good decision.  Most important have fun.  If racing isn't how you make your living then just find the bike that makes the most sense and have fun....good luck.

All about having fun for sure. And no I do not race, fatherhood took care of that lol. I will be lucky next year to see 20 hours of ride time all summer. I do appreciate all the input and it is good to know that their is a difference in handling between the 2 for future reference.

I've heard nothing but great things about the new model, from first time kawi owners to die hards. This new model addresses the downfalls from the previous one, I've talked to a few guys that have owned both and they will not go back to the previous model. Either way, it will be a step up from your 08. When the time comes I'd get whatever makes more sense for your needs.

54 minutes ago, GasMixer44 said:

I've heard nothing but great things about the new model, from first time kawi owners to die hards. This new model addresses the downfalls from the previous one, I've talked to a few guys that have owned both and they will not go back to the previous model. Either way, it will be a step up from your 08. When the time comes I'd get whatever makes more sense for your needs.

I have decided to narrow it down to how much my friend is going to sell the 17 for and if I can pick up a clean 2019 for around $4,500 in 2 years. I do not ride enough or race to justify a brand new bike. To bad money is an option.

On 1/16/2019 at 11:16 PM, IraqvetUSMC said:

So in a couple years I should be able to get a pretty good deal on a 17 KX 450 that already has a spring conversion kit for the forks. The bike will have fairly low hours and will be taken care of. I am assuming I could find a good deal in 2 years on a 19 KX 450 but it will still be more expensive than the 17. Those who have ridden both is there a noticeable difference other than e-start and hydraulic clutch? It's always nice to have the newer bike but I would be coming off of an 08 KX 450 and I ride only MX but I do not race and I am sure the 17 FI and narrower chassis will be big upgrade from my 08 with a carb. Just want some thoughts from some one who has ridden both.

Thanks

The 17 is a good bike, but sure if you wait 2years for the19 it will be same price as the 17 is now. 

Buy the 17 now and change for the 19 after 2 or 3 yesrs

• Like 1