Will Honda ever bring back the xr200r?

Will Honda ever bring back the xr200r?

Edited by wazzabie

That is the CRF230F - a newer model similar to the XR200R with a new name and electric start.

I've owned and ridden a bunch of XRs and IMO the 86-02 version of the XR200R is the best. The CRF230F does fill the market niche vacated by the XR200R, but the 230F has pluses and minuses compared to a XR200R. For the terrain I ride and how I ride I don't consider the CRF230F a XR200R replacement, although I've considered using a 230 engine in a 200 chassis.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Chuck. said:

I've owned and ridden a bunch of XRs and IMO the 86-02 version of the XR200R is the best. The CRF230F does fill the market niche vacated by the XR200R, but the 230F has pluses and minuses compared to a XR200R. For the terrain I ride and how I ride I don't consider the CRF230F a XR200R replacement, although I've considered using a 230 engine in a 200 chassis.

Didn't you mean 1986-1992 models ?

30 minutes ago, dwil4 said:

What's wrong with the later models.......?  Change the damping rods, rear shock (and a couple aluminum items if you like) and you have the same thing in a newer motorcycle. :excuseme:  

Old School Al

I am certainly no expert but I just thought I have always read that Chuck says 86-92 were the good yrs. Better Suspension and factory lights? I know I had an 86 a 99 and an 02 and there was a big difference in suspension between the 86 and the other 2 from factory. I did put an XR250 rear spring and the 86 forks over on the 99 as the 86 motor locked down. Other than suspension they all seem pretty much the same as far as the non RFVC motors go. Again I am certainly  no guru like some of you are Al. 

7 hours ago, dwil4 said:

No because I see good use for either the 86-91 or 93-02.

7 hours ago, Old School Al said:

What's wrong with the later models.......?  Change the damping rods, rear shock (and a couple aluminum items if you like) and you have the same thing in a newer motorcycle. :excuseme:  

Old School Al

I agree, my current XR200R is based on a 01 frame.

6 hours ago, dwil4 said:

I am certainly no expert but I just thought I have always read that Chuck says 86-92 were the good yrs. Better Suspension and factory lights? I know I had an 86 a 99 and an 02 and there was a big difference in suspension between the 86 and the other 2 from factory. I did put an XR250 rear spring and the 86 forks over on the 99 as the 86 motor locked down. Other than suspension they all seem pretty much the same as far as the non RFVC motors go. Again I am certainly  no guru like some of you are Al. 

There were no 89 or 92 model year XR200R imported into the US.

And yes there is a big difference in suspension ride height between the 86-91 and the 93-02 models, but as OSA pointed out changes are easy to make. There were also some other changes between 86 and 88.

All of the 86-02 models had alternators with similar power for lights but I have yet to see one with factory lights although the part fiche shows the option. I installed a XR250R headlight on my 01 and run it on Hi beam in the woods to provide better visibility to oncoming riders (helps avoid headons).

11 minutes ago, Chuck. said:

I have yet to see one with factory lights

Never seen? Or just not out riding? My original factory lights are still like new (in a box in the garage):thumbsup:

12 minutes ago, Doogee57 said:

Never seen? Or just not out riding? My original factory lights are still like new (in a box in the garage):thumbsup:

Never seen,  or noticed, OEM headlights on other 86+ XR200Rs. I ride once a week but mid week so don't encounter many other bikes, and I don't notice many details about other bikes encountered while riding because they are usually oncoming. 

I like the 81-83 XR200R headlight because the light is up high leaving more room for a front fender pack, but they are scarce and difficult to mount on later triples.

83 XR200R headlight.

60951114_82XR200RHeadlight.jpg.4fe3fcd982993110b33688644f4cef75.jpg

My 84 XR250R headlight with longer straps for the USD forks on my 01 XR200R.

2117842056_84XR250RHeadlight.jpg.4c726b9844f6d4d6418f3eb14083cfc7.jpg

6 minutes ago, Chuck. said:

My 84 XR250R headlight with longer straps for the USD forks on my 01 XR200R.

Yup. Mike looks just like that, only it's white.

Yea I knew there were a couple of yrs they didnt make one. Getting back to the original post , I think if they brought it back with the same look and some better suspension that it would sell pretty good? Maybe not?  The kids (20's) dont like the look of the older style but maybe all the older dudes would buy one.  Lol.  I have had alot of bikes in my time and many that are more powerful but the 200's ive had were probably the easiest/most fun to ride.

Since the XR line is dead except for the xr650, and the CRF designation has taken over, I don't see the XRs coming back. With the 230 being right there in the easy to handle low 200cc range, no need in bringing a 200 back.

13 hours ago, dwil4 said:

I think he meant the chassis, or that design of bike since it was essentially the same bike through that whole era, aside from the spendin changes. 

12 hours ago, Old School Al said:

Old School Al

I really like the looks of the CRF models as far as styling goes. 

But the modern day "trail bikes" don't have what the trail bikes of the XRs and others had.

They don't have comfy squishy seats that a guy would actually WANT to sit on towards the end of a long day of rough riding.

And they're not making them with headlight or taillight. Sure you can add lights, but wtf? Just causing people to have to either figure out ways to wire them in, or having to go out and buy the parts needed to have lights. Why not just put them on there to start with? Yeah the 250x and 450x have them, but not everybody wants either of those bikes. 

The seat is the main reason I'm not so sure I want a crf230f or new crf250f. They give the bikes the look of a motocross style bike with the comfort of them too. I love the feel of my XR200R, and may eventually just put a 230f engine in it to keep the comfort

• Like 1

Damn, I got way behind. I started my response this morning, and just now got to finish. I've actually been busy at work, all day, for once. You guys all had responses I didn't notice before I finished typing. 

OSA, I misread your post and took it as you meant like the crf230f. My bad.

Chuck, the '86 parts bike I picked up had factory headlight on it. I pulled the whole setup off to put on my '90 XR200R 

20180711_161911.thumb.jpg.df8e7b16527474aac73987957551ca51.jpg

Chuck you also made a good point about the '83 headlight, I never thought of that. But I still think it's goofy looking lol. 

Edited by Daniel627
Left stuff out

I have the same OEM headlight and wiring harness.  If I wanted to tap this harness to charge a battery where would  I do this?   I also would need to convert ac to dc with a rectifier.

dcpower.jpg