Tracking Device for Off Road

Alright, so up behind my house I got a mountain full of trails to explore, but my dad won't let me go at it unless I have some sort of device that tracks my location and has the capability to send an emergency message in case I get hurt. 

I was wondering if there were any good GPS tracking devices that would have those functions? 

Thanks!

I had used a Spot for several years, but found that in the mountain valleys coverage was very weak.  If you were hurt in such a location, it wouldn't be able to send out a help notice.  Another thing wrong with them is that there is no way off knowing if your signal has been received and if help is on the way or not.  Cell phones are ok if you have cell coverage in the area you are riding.  A two way sat phone is best option, but expensive.

how about really loud pipe...

Maybe a sarsat personal locator beacon would satisfy him?  He wouldn't be able to follow you realtime, it would require that you be able to deploy it...  not the same feature set as a tracking device..a big step up from cell phone IMO...

3 minutes ago, braindead0 said:

how about really loud pipe...

Maybe a sarsat personal locator beacon would satisfy him?  He wouldn't be able to follow you realtime, it would require that you be able to deploy it...  not the same feature set as a tracking device..a big step up from cell phone IMO...

How about a ProCircuit T-6 on a 450f? That should do! 

But alright thanks!

• Like 2

PLB is emergency-use-only - no tracking, facebooking, texting, whatever.  Only for life-and-limb emergencies.  Based on OPs requirements, this will not meet the need.

SPOT/InReach will.  Those have live tracking and messaging capabilities, in addition to emergency mode.  Of the two, I'd recommend InReach... customer service, and satellite network. 

1 hour ago, HevyRotashunz said:

Thanks for the link!

I had heard the Spot, but not the Garmin Inreach. After reading the reviews, it appears as though the Inreach is a quality product. I carry a Garmin Rhino 610 on my kit. It's been through Hell and back and has never let me down.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HevyRotashunz said:
25 minutes ago, SS109 said:
If you have cell coverage, I like Cradar. It's free and it works. Otherwise you gotta step up to one of the fancy units and crawl your way out of a valley to get signal.

The iridium network works for me under the trees down in the deepest holes.

How much does a setup for that go for?