Jump to content
454x

Lock on grips and full wrap hand guards?

Recommended Posts

That's all I use and they are awesome.  The lock on ODI grips have pop out ends and can be cut to look perfect.  I use the Acerbis X factor wrap arounds and they are the best I have found.  There are also X Factory type but I have not tried those.

For the record, I will NEVER glue grips on again.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 454x said:

Have any of you tried lock on grips with full wrap around hand guards? 

 

Yes!  I run two sets of lock-on grips.   One with open ends to accommodate the full wrap handguards and another set with closed ends because I remove the guards for riding MX.  Lock-on grips make for an easy solution to plugging off the  bar ends for track riding after removing the guards, and a quick swap back to the guards for woods riding.

 

 

A2C91903-A181-4362-8ACE-4DAC7136ECCC.png

A34CED12-1602-499D-8391-0DD286BDB77A.png

D517B893-B322-4CDA-AC8E-72433D9F48BA.png

Edited by Fatt_Tones
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the feed back, I decided to try the Protapers because I like the pillow top style grips, I'll let you know how they work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thanks for all the feed back, I decided to try the Protapers because I like the pillow top style grips, I'll let you know how they work.
Noooooo.....I switched from the pillow tops and the ODIs are far superior. Better grip, wont spin, longer life and most importantly reduced arm pump.
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, EnduroPNW said:

Noooooo.....I switched from the pillow tops and the ODIs are far superior. Better grip, wont spin, longer life and most importantly reduced arm pump.

i like the pillow tops and have ran them for a while, will definitely try those ODIs. ODI is what i normally run on my downhill MTBs 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, 454x said:

Thanks for all the feed back, I decided to try the Protapers because I like the pillow top style grips, I'll let you know how they work.

 

4 minutes ago, EnduroPNW said:
13 minutes ago, 454x said:
Thanks for all the feed back, I decided to try the Protapers because I like the pillow top style grips, I'll let you know how they work.

Noooooo.....I switched from the pillow tops and the ODIs are far superior. Better grip, wont spin, longer life and most importantly reduced arm pump.

 

Yup same here.  Ran Pillow tops and the thinner Pillow Top Lites.  Both are inferior to the lock-ons in every way.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 454x said:

Thanks for all the feed back, I decided to try the Protapers because I like the pillow top style grips, I'll let you know how they work.

The ODI Rogues in the post above the one I quoted are just as soft as the Pillow Tops. The ODI Rogues (lock on) are easily the best grip I've ever run. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Goatse said:

The ODI Rogues in the post above the one I quoted are just as soft as the Pillow Tops. The ODI Rogues (lock on) are easily the best grip I've ever run. 

How are the Rogues in the wet? Are they thick or thin (i run the pillow top lite)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, mtdirtbag said:

How are the Rogues in the wet? Are they thick or thin (i run the pillow top lite)

Good in the wet. They look like they're thick, but they're actually the same diameter as the stock Beta grips. I hate big grips (they give me arm pump), so when they showed up, I was bummed (since they look thick due to the design). But I actually measured them with my digital calipers and they were within 1mm of the Beta grips IIRC.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Fatt_Tones said:

 

Yes!  I run two sets of lock-on grips.   One with open ends to accommodate the full wrap handguards and another set with closed ends because I remove the guards for riding MX.  Lock-on grips make for an easy solution to plugging off the  bar ends for track riding after removing the guards, and a quick swap back to the guards for woods riding.

 

 

A2C91903-A181-4362-8ACE-4DAC7136ECCC.png

A34CED12-1602-499D-8391-0DD286BDB77A.png

D517B893-B322-4CDA-AC8E-72433D9F48BA.png

Don’t know if you know, but there are bar ends that will slip into the handlebar ends and cover the opening when you remove wraparound handguards for MX.  They attach with a screw similar to the handguards.  An added benefit is they are much stronger than the closed grips.  They don’t rip when you lay it down.  It would be much easier to add the closed bar ends than changing out the complete set of grips.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Gflo said:

Don’t know if you know, but there are bar ends that will slip into the handlebar ends and cover the opening when you remove wraparound handguards for MX.  They attach with a screw similar to the handguards.  An added benefit is they are much stronger than the closed grips.  They don’t rip when you lay it down.  It would be much easier to add the closed bar ends than changing out the complete set of grips.

 

I actually own some of those as well, but I still prefer to run the closed grips.  I find when using the bar end plugs it’s still easy to end up with dirt up under the throttle tube if I drop the bike in the silty dirt we have on our tracks.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Fatt_Tones said:

 

I actually own some of those as well, but I still prefer to run the closed grips.  I find when using the bar end plugs it’s still easy to end up with dirt up under the throttle tube if I drop the bike in the silty dirt we have on our tracks.

 

That definitely would be a benefit of switching out grips as opposed to using bar ends.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Beta300recat said:

To me these are excellent and cheap!!! Good enough for Dakar then good enough for me. I wish these were on lock on grips. It’s great for my hands. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

To me these are excellent and cheap!!! Good enough for Dakar then good enough for me. I wish these were on lock on grips. It’s great for my hands. 

The barrel shaped grips are really nice. Anything else just feels too small. The cushion of the gel is nice too.

  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×