Horgh

Which Oakley Prizm lens for woods riding?

Hey all,

I picked up some Oakley Airbrake goggles on a killer sale, and they came with the black Prizm lens. Looking through it, I'm sold on the technology. However, the black is a bit too dark for winter/overcast woods lighting, but I can't seem to find much info on what conditions the other Prizm colors are intended for. The Oakley website is broken in many ways, and I can only find the color table for snow conditions. Not very helpful.

There is Prizm Bronze, Jade, Sapphire and Torch as far as I can tell. For those that have used these lenses, can you comment on what conditions they're good for?

Thanks!

I use the bronze for all conditions...but I’m a lover of bronze/amber lenses in all my optics for work & recreation

• Like 2

I still like clear for the woods, or a green tint if it's really sunny and doing more open stuff. Think green is supposed to be good for contrast in the woods but for me it just reminds me of being on the lake as a kid and makes me happy 

I have the Smith equivalent of Torch and like contrast it gives in lower light and mixed light (blotches of sun getting through the leaf cover) conditions. For brighter lighting I prefer a bronze/brown shade.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Horgh said:

OK, thanks! Anyone have experience with Jade, Sapphire or Torch? 

here's a crappy photo, torch in goggle, jade on top. jade is supposed to be better for woods/contrast but to me it's slightly darker overall. I probably couldn't tell which one I had it after a few seconds anyway -very solid lenses and don't have a problem with fogging

prizm.jpg

prizm2.jpg

• Like 1

The Torch is Hi Def without the glare of an amber lens , it's like those pink street lights.

• Like 1

I feel I'd have an easier time finding proof of intelligent life in Washington D.C. than I have of finding info about the difference between Sapphire, Jade and Torch. Looks like Black is for sunny days in sandy/bright conditions (which I can agree with), while Bronze is a "neutral" color meant to be an overall good lens for all conditions. Jade seems to be meant for helping bring out greens and blacks in forest riding and mixed sunlight/shadow conditions. What I can't find is how Jade compares to Torch and Sapphire. By what you guys said above and the pictures you posted, I think Jade, Sapphire and Torch basically do the same thing, just have a different color appearance from the front. It may be that Torch is slightly brighter than Sapphire, with Jade being in the middle, but I can't find any confirmation.

I like the look of Torch (being orange-ish and whatnot), so maybe I'll try that. But I'll call Oakley customer support on Monday first to see what I can find out.

Thanks guys!

Edited by Horgh

2 hours ago, Horgh said:

I feel I'd have an easier time finding proof of intelligent life in Washington D.C. than I have of finding info about the difference between Sapphire, Jade and Torch. Looks like Black is for sunny days in sandy/bright conditions (which I can agree with), while Bronze is a "neutral" color meant to be an overall good lens for all conditions. Jade seems to be meant for helping bring out greens and blacks in forest riding and mixed sunlight/shadow conditions. What I can't find is how Jade compares to Torch and Sapphire. By what you guys said above and the pictures you posted, I think Jade, Sapphire and Torch basically do the same thing, just have a different color appearance from the front. It may be that Torch is slightly brighter than Sapphire, with Jade being in the middle, but I can't find any confirmation.

I like the look of Torch (being orange-ish and whatnot), so maybe I'll try that. But I'll call Oakley customer support on Monday first to see what I can find out.

Thanks guys!

Hahahaha,  have fun with that. I tried that route as well since there is ZERO helpful information on their site. I ended up buying one of every lens and only use the bronze and jade. Btw, oakley lenses scratch easier than anything I've ever dealt with before. Especially the prizm series, even oakley's cleaning cloth scratches them up, so be gentle with them. That being said, I absolutely love the airbrakes and will not wear anything else.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wr250ish said:

Hahahaha,  have fun with that. I tried that route as well since there is ZERO helpful information on their site. I ended up buying one of every lens and only use the bronze and jade. Btw, oakley lenses scratch easier than anything I've ever dealt with before. Especially the prizm series, even oakley's cleaning cloth scratches them up, so be gentle with them. That being said, I absolutely love the airbrakes and will not wear anything else.

Since you had the various color variations and now have the Bronze and Jade, can you comment on the differences between what you tried on and sent back, and what you kept? That would be super helpful.

1 minute ago, Horgh said:

Since you had the various color variations and now have the Bronze and Jade, can you comment on the differences between what you tried on and sent back, and what you kept? That would be super helpful.

I kept all of them since I used them for a full day at least once.

Rose was not horribly bad, but it did not do anything to justify the price. I dont really recall anything standing out with those.

The fire iridium was the worst of the lot for me as it gave everything a blue hue and was distracting to me and seemed to magnify glares. In dusty situations I felt like I was better off with no goggles. 

Gray and black I didnt care for because too much light was lost  and I felt like the contrast suffered as well. I had focus issues with these and I felt like peripheral was lessened.

Clear is self explanatory. 

Bronze is just enough darkening to be useful,  yet still wearable at dusk and dawn. The light is softened but still extremely crisp if that makes sense. Great contrast, ruts really stand out and shadows seem enhanced.

Jade is the one lens to rule them all. All the above benefits of bronze except everything is in 4k HD and freaking pops out. Greenery is enhanced so much that when you remove your goggles it's a little disappointing the human eye cannot filter colors that well. I havent met one person yet that hasn't said WOW after looking through jade or bronze

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

12 minutes ago, wr250ish said:

I kept all of them since I used them for a full day at least once.

Rose was not horribly bad, but it did not do anything to justify the price. I dont really recall anything standing out with those.

The fire iridium was the worst of the lot for me as it gave everything a blue hue and was distracting to me and seemed to magnify glares. In dusty situations I felt like I was better off with no goggles. 

Gray and black I didnt care for because too much light was lost  and I felt like the contrast suffered as well. I had focus issues with these and I felt like peripheral was lessened.

Clear is self explanatory. 

Bronze is just enough darkening to be useful,  yet still wearable at dusk and dawn. The light is softened but still extremely crisp if that makes sense. Great contrast, ruts really stand out and shadows seem enhanced.

Jade is the one lens to rule them all. All the above benefits of bronze except everything is in 4k HD and freaking pops out. Greenery is enhanced so much that when you remove your goggles it's a little disappointing the human eye cannot filter colors that well. I havent met one person yet that hasn't said WOW after looking through jade or bronze

Dude, thank you so much, that's exactly what I've been hunting for in terms of information and first-hand experience. Since I already have the Black, I'll order a Jade, and come summer time, I'll try a Bronze if the Black is too dark.

And thanks guys for the tip on scratching and tear-offs. The RMATV video about tear-offs demos them on a Prizm lens at one point, and with the camera on an angle and the studio lights, you can see a TON of scratches on the lens. I'll order some of the individual tear-offs and will use them.

20 minutes ago, HevyRotashunz said:
1 hour ago, TeamGreenPilot said:
Second the above, ALWAYS  ride with at least a tear-off on the prizim lens

I didn't know that was an Oakley thing until i switched to 100% and am enjoying the long life of my lenses.

I have the cheap 100% Strata goggles and they pinch my nose noticeably. I realize it's likely because they're cheap, but I bought the Airbrakes as opposed to, say, Spy Foundation, because the Airbrakes are supposed to not pinch your nose at all. And as advertised, I can't even tell they're on my nose, which is great. I got them for a steal ($90 on Motosport), so I'm very happy.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2019 at 8:47 PM, Horgh said:

I have the cheap 100% Strata goggles and they pinch my nose noticeably. I realize it's likely because they're cheap, but I bought the Airbrakes as opposed to, say, Spy Foundation, because the Airbrakes are supposed to not pinch your nose at all. And as advertised, I can't even tell they're on my nose, which is great. I got them for a steal ($90 on Motosport), so I'm very happy.

$90 on motosport???,, I'm kinda butthurt.  I have 3 pairs and none were under $180. That is a crazy deal.........