What the AMA is doing to MX

The district schedule came out and my home track is off the docket.   They said the AMA, et.. AM(afia)A is gouging financially too hard to make it worth their while to host a points race or any race for that matter.   Sadly, I no longer have a double header points race within 1/2 an hour drive.

• Like 1

Latest tax filing I found was 2015 and shows they were losing money, roughly $12 million in income vs $13 million in functional expenses.  Over half of membership income is eaten up by salaries, travel and 'other employee benefits'... 

non-profit doesn't mean nobody profits....

• Like 2

Just find another club to race. AMA is just a very small non-profit that has never done anything useful for me in the 20 or so years I have been forced to become a member to race AMA events. There are lots of clubs.

• Like 2

Our local track is running a series this spring, non AMA, just some guys that got together to reopen the track.

AAF03B90-028D-4856-B97F-C164F927B074.jpeg

Edited by cjjeepercreeper
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, braindead0 said:

Latest tax filing I found was 2015 and shows they were losing money, roughly $12 million in income vs $13 million in functional expenses.  Over half of membership income is eaten up by salaries, travel and 'other employee benefits'... 

I hear ya.   My wife started working for the City (in Texas).   Said most all the office staff watch Netflix on their computers all day and never put in a 40hr week.   They openly call it "THE CITY WAY".     Very disheartening.     There should be a citizen task force to audit that kind of crap.

• Helpful 1

5 minutes ago, Whopharded said:

I hear ya.   My wife started working for the City (in Texas).   Said most all the office staff watch Netflix on their computers all day and never put in a 40hr week.   They openly call it "THE CITY WAY".     Very disheartening.     There should be a citizen task force to audit that kind of crap.

Then the 'citizens task force' would do the same 😉

• Like 5

If your local track can secure insurance then they should hold independent races. There might be enough interest for other local tracks to do the same thing. Since most races are run by local volunteers  you don’t really need the AMA. Where it gets difficult is rule enforcement and amauter points that are used to move up in classes. Some states run their own series separately from the AMA. 

• Like 1

Aka, living the dream.
  • Like 1

She just needs to adapt. "What doth it profit a man to kick against the pricks?" The sweet spot is doing a good job because that's what you do, without pissing and moaning about everyone else slacking off. No one likes a martyr. I wont say it's easy but you learn to turn a blind eye and stay in your lane. Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change lol.
  • Like 1

On 1/17/2019 at 3:33 PM, braindead0 said:

I support the AMA. They're far from perfect, but they're not only there for racing.  They try to look after motorcyclists with little $ they take in. No, I'm not talking about the crap about eliminating helmet laws to satisfy Harley riders either. $12 million is chump change for them to go up against Green lobbyists and politicians that want to close all land to OHV's. 

• Like 4

She just needs to adapt. "What doth it profit a man to kick against the pricks?" The sweet spot is doing a good job because that's what you do, without pissing and moaning about everyone else slacking off. No one likes a martyr. I wont say it's easy but you learn to turn a blind eye and stay in your lane. Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change lol.

Somebody knows his bible... KJV
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, HevyRotashunz said:
17 minutes ago, MXR said:

Everyone here thinks i'm a heathen lol. I memorized the entire Gospels when i was 8. I've always preferred the KJV, the language of Shakespeare.

I used to be a pastor and I’ve never memorized the gospels.  I’m impressed.  🙂

Lifetime member of the AMA, seen the good, the bad, still think we a better for having them then not. My 2 cents.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, HevyRotashunz said:
12 hours ago, MXR said:

Everyone here thinks i'm a heathen lol. I memorized the entire Gospels when i was 8. I've always preferred the KJV, the language of Shakespeare.

You're a TT enigma. :confused:

The district schedule came out and my home track is off the docket.   They said the AMA, et.. AM(afia)A is gouging financially too hard to make it worth their while to host a points race or any race for that matter.   Sadly, I no longer have a double header points race within 1/2 an hour drive.

They must be getting desperate. They always send me renewal forms. I can’t find the time to race anymore. Between work and kid duties, I ain’t got the time. So months will go by and in the mail will come a renewal package from them saying they have reserved my spot. I sometimes will sign up and send them the money needed but never rAce. Hopefully my donation helps the sport/someone’s salary working for the sport. It’s all I can do for the advocates
  • Like 1