Chris O SC

Help - Engine mounts don't line up to frame!

Hey everyone - I recently bought what I thought was a complete 1998 RM125 bike that just needed to be reassembled and fixed up a bit. After cleaning up the engine and fixing a few things, I went to mount it to the frame and it doesn't line up to the mounting holes on the frame. I found the serial #, called Suzuki and learned that the engine is a 97 engine whereas the frame is a 98. The holes are literally 1/2 inch away...very close. I would like to keep going on this project but my questions are....

- Can I simply find some small brackets to secure the engine to the frame?

- If so, are there companies that make these or do I just head down the HW store and get some generic ones. 

- Do I need to worry about the angle that the engine sits (e.g., will engine not operate correctly at a slightly "off" angle)?

Thanks for all your help!

You can probably modify the bottom and top mounting points but the #1 priority is maintaining the proper location and alignment of the counter shaft sprocket.

Thanks for the reply, how do I determine if the countershaft sprocket is properly aligned?

Not something I've ever had to do but perhaps using a long straight edge from the front to rear sprocket

(making sure the rear hub is perfectly squared in the swing arm to begin with)

Before anything is bolted down / welded together for good,

spinning the rear wheel and chain by hand will quickly show if alignment is off by how well the front sprocket's teeth are centered between the chain links.

Since that project bike was never completed, it might give you an indication that it's likely not an easy swap for the average wrencher.

Edited by mlatour