Jump to content

2002 XR200 Carb issues

Recommended Posts

Good luck on giving the petcock a "good cleaning". The only way I was able to do that on our crf50 was to drill off the protrusions, open it up, and use a drill bit to auger out all the nasty shit that had it basically clogged completely shut, and used a razor blade or knife to scrape off the other stuff. Then drilled and tapped 3mm holes, installed new packing and all better!

A guy sells a rebuild kit on Ebay for $15

Btw, I got one for my XR200R, and he's selling OEM Honda parts, but I think cutting the part numbers off the bag. So he's got the market cornered on it. I bet Honda used a rebuildable petcock on something before and he discovered they used the same seals and got the part numbers and selling them as a kit. Hmmm  🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Daniel627 said:

but I think cutting the part numbers off the bag.

   Pretty sneaky. I could use one of those "kits" for my 88 model.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Doogee57 said:

   Pretty sneaky. I could use one of those "kits" for my 88 model.

One $15 kit will cure your poor bike's geriatric dribble! The 88 will live on without the embarrassment of a leaky, petcock! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Bwilliams6 said:

Also I don’t know how to set float level. I’ve seen where you all said 12.5mm setting but I don’t know how to set it or measure it. 

 

I sure hope the next thing you admit to is you don't have a manual either........................:facepalm:

Old School Al

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Daniel627 said:

Good luck on giving the petcock a "good cleaning". The only way I was able to do that on our crf50 was to drill off the protrusions, open it up, and use a drill bit to auger out all the nasty shit that had it basically clogged completely shut, and used a razor blade or knife to scrape off the other stuff. Then drilled and tapped 3mm holes, installed new packing and all better!

A guy sells a rebuild kit on Ebay for $15

Btw, I got one for my XR200R, and he's selling OEM Honda parts, but I think cutting the part numbers off the bag. So he's got the market cornered on it. I bet Honda used a rebuildable petcock on something before and he discovered they used the same seals and got the part numbers and selling them as a kit. Hmmm  🤔

 

1 hour ago, Daniel627 said:

One $15 kit will cure your poor bike's geriatric dribble! The 88 will live on without the embarrassment of a leaky, petcock! 

 

All the older Honda's had a petcock that came apart...............up until the late 70's to early 80's if I recall correctly.  No big deal to find one if you have a petcock apart to compare parts to.  Find a old Honda dealer that still has a calendar on the wall from the 70's, with all the cobwebs since then on the parts boxes.  A old parts guy in a easy chair smoking a cigar...............with a old hound dog sleeping in the corner by the wood stove.;)  This now, this is the guy that will have many of the old petcock parts to compare to.  There were several different sizes of the rubber gasket you will need.  I think around a SL/XL/CL/CB100-125, SL/CL/CB 175, XL175, or maybe 350,  XL250-350.......above that maybe be too big.  If someone has a dealer with some old inventory on the shelf and a petcock apart, it would be no problem to figure this out.  When you get it fixed use "ONLY" non ethanol gas.....................or you'll be right back where you started in no time at all!

Old School Al

Edited by Old School Al

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Old School Al said:

A old parts guy in a easy chair smoking a cigar...............with a old hound dog sleeping in the corner by the wood stove.;)  This now, this is the guy

   I love it Al. Sounds like a bunch of us.:cheers:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Old School Al said:

 

 

All the older Honda's had a petcock that came apart...............up until the late 70's to early 80's if I recall correctly.  No big deal to find one if you have a petcock apart to compare parts to.  Find a old Honda dealer that still has a calendar on the wall from the 70's, with all the cobwebs since then on the parts boxes.  A old parts guy in a easy chair smoking a cigar...............with a old hound dog sleeping in the corner by the wood stove.;)  This now, this is the guy that will have many of the old petcock parts to compare to.  There were several different sizes of the rubber gasket you will need.  I think around a SL/XL/CL/CB100-125, SL/CL/CB 175, XL175, or maybe 350,  XL250-350.......above that maybe be too big.  If someone has a dealer with some old inventory on the shelf and a petcock apart, it would be no problem to figure this out.  When you get it fixed use "ONLY" non ethanol gas.....................or you'll be right back where you started in no time at all!

Old School Al

Hah! Sounds like some of the companies I used to deal with when I was working on heavy equipment and having to go to these places to find parts for old side booms or dozers or whatever it was I needed parts for. Sometimes I had to go to some deep backwoods places to get what I needed. Sounds like this is what would need to happen for these petcock seals. 

As for the ethanol gas, I only use it in my truck which is a 2015 and has extended warranty, so if anything were to go wrong with the fuel system, it's covered.

As for my M5, my sport bikes, Harley, dirt bike, and even lawn mower and weedeater, I run the 100% gasoline that is offered. 

Edited by Daniel627
Typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×