Southern Oregon BLM closure of land to shooting.

"Horses tear up the trails worse than a dirtbike."

It's truly amazing how many equestrians deny this. I own horses. My wife sticks to equestrian only areas...cause I hate rebuilding spots, that skittish horses have shredded. On horseback, those spots are about every 8 feet.

Some of the biggest polluter`s are people who shot guns. It does not surprise me that some land owners are banning it from their property. Last weekend we where building new single track through a clear cut on our SDR leased green diamond land and found a bunch of cases and other targets on the road. The shooters had shot a tree and it broke off about 4 feet above the ground. They where not shooting into a bank, it was just forest that was the back stop. They could have shot one of us flagging new trail in that forest or a brush picker. The area they where shooting in, we do not have a key to the gate below only way to get to that area is by foot or know by the trail we just built. We had heard and seen them shooting while we where working in a near by clear cut 2 weeks earlier. Pictures of the tree where taken and given to John Eaton, who will sent the info to green diamond.

Yesterday we built another trail off a road that has about 2 to 3 hundred shot gun shell cases. Those will be cleaned up when one of us gets time.

I am all for shooting, but it must be done wisely. There are plenty of gravel pits that people can safely shoot in. Shooters are getting a bad reputation cause some do not shoot safely and/or clean up after themselves. There is not excuse for being young and stupid when it comes to shooting on public and private land. I used to shoot all the time and we always where safe and cleaned up after our selves.

Edited by Eric72

ill never forget this one time we were connecting single track via FS road, and these 2 guys had posted up their own 'shooting range' right on the damn road, they were literally shooting up the road right before a turn.

Quite the surprise for us as we came out of that turn, as they were pointing their guns at us.  😳

Was at the tahuya meeting in 2016 and I believe their were 5 proposed sites on the map for review. Everyone one of them met opposition by the attendees that lived nearby.  The majority comment was they were sick and tire of the constant noise of a war zone.  My position was not to take sides, figure out a good place, re route any trails in the background.  You capitol guys,  some of the sniper rifle shooters wanted 1000 yard shots, I asked where they do that now. Capitol. They set targets on one mt. drive around to another mt, and shoot across.  Tahuya is too flat for that.  Jeepers wanted 4x4 pistol pits, so they could jeep and shoot along the way. The old boys wanted shooting behind locked gate, walk in, to deter the amount of "targets" from being brought in.   Which brings me to the question...where do they get all those bowling pins to shoot at?  LOL

On 1/17/2019 at 10:04 PM, sorbales said:

I'm posting this here because off-road vehicles will be next. CA residents would know this painfully well. 

Applegate Enviro-marxist group is lobbying BLM to close down Anderson butte and Wagner butte areas above Talent, Phoenix, and Jacksonville to recreational shooting.
This is their site:
https://applegateneighborhood.network/anderson-butte-safety-project/

Screenshot of their post:
https://imgur.com/ekzBLKG

Individuals behind it:
https://i.imgur.com/1BCrwTE.png

Comment Now: Public Comments will be accepted until Feb 1, 2019

Mail: BLM-Ashland Field Office
Attn: Kristi Mastrofini
3040 Biddle Road
Medford, Oregon 97504

Email:
BLM_OR_MD_Mail@blm.gov
RE: Anderson Butte Safety Project

thank I'll forward to friends down there

53 minutes ago, highmarker said:

Was at the tahuya meeting in 2016 and I believe their were 5 proposed sites on the map for review. Everyone one of them met opposition by the attendees that lived nearby.  The majority comment was they were sick and tire of the constant noise of a war zone.  My position was not to take sides, figure out a good place, re route any trails in the background.  You capitol guys,  some of the sniper rifle shooters wanted 1000 yard shots, I asked where they do that now. Capitol. They set targets on one mt. drive around to another mt, and shoot across.  Tahuya is too flat for that.  Jeepers wanted 4x4 pistol pits, so they could jeep and shoot along the way. The old boys wanted shooting behind locked gate, walk in, to deter the amount of "targets" from being brought in.   Which brings me to the question...where do they get all those bowling pins to shoot at?  LOL

I just want them where I know them to be. It was coming from all directions over on the hurd side on Sunday. Wasn't sure where they were or where they were firing

A NRA lawyer gal was there. her only question was '" has anyone been shot or killed here as a result of target shooting".  Nope, it's not a problem.  Wish she was with us the day they were shooting down the trail, us coming toward them and they wouldn't stop. Obama quadrupled the number of guns out there, guys wanna play with their toys, many don't want ranges or designated pits where others are. They wanna tailgate with buds, beers and blow sht up. Should have heard it out there after the bumpstock made the media. Lot of ammo wasted.

well, I hope it's quick and painless if they get me.....I'm going to be frikkin pissed if they wing me

9 hours ago, Slackkinhard said:

well, I hope it's quick and painless if they get me.....I'm going to be frikkin pissed if they wing me

Oh for sure, if they do shoot you, those types will leave you laying there bleeding out while they run away.... mumbling that they didn't see you, wasn't really their fault....

On 1/25/2019 at 8:49 AM, TigerTanker said:

Wow, how interesting, and timely for that matter! Everyone should read that. 

The shooters had incredible freedoms at Capitol Forest, and I'm assuming other DNR lands. The list of rules was very, very short and reasonable. If I recall, it was about 5 rules. And those rules were way too much for many of these shooters, and they perilously decided to ignore those rules. So, now they will get to experience what it's like to have confined, regulated and limited recreational facilities.

Also bad at Tahuya; I read blog where local land owners were complaining about noise, and are also supporting SB 5099.

Send in your comments.

3 minutes ago, Chuck. said:

Also bad at Tahuya; I read blog where local land owners were complaining about noise, and are also supporting SB 5099.

Send in your comments.

The sound of gunfire is not exactly pleasant for neighbors. Especially so if you suspect people are being careless. 

Meanwhile, the Nation desperately needs a heavily armed population like no time in history. 

• Helpful 1