I have my 99 chevy silverado 1500 4.3L v6 and it smells of coolant when you shut it off after driving for awhile. Like today my dad drove it and after he parked it, he said it smelled like coolant. We checked under the hood and saw no visible leaks or anywhere wet if it sprayed. No check engine lights, temps and gauges all where they should be. I have coolant in the reservoir as well. We also checked around the waterpump and no leaks there as well.

Any ideas? Im stumped.

Could it be my heater core going bad maybe? I have been running the heat a lot. The AC also does not work (not cold but blows basically warm air). Could it be something to do with the compressor?

You say you have coolant in the reservoir, but is the reservoir at the "full cold" mark when the truck is cold?
Also, have you removed the radiator cap when the truck is cold to see if the radiator is full?

Its got 2 lines hot and cold. Cold it sits just above the line. Hot it sits at the line or a bit above. Its a aftermarket reservoir from PO. And no i have not. It just started doing all this about 2 weeks ago and i have been working a lot. The truck gets driven every few days as i am in my work van mostly.

4 hours ago, RidingWithStyle said:

Its got 2 lines hot and cold. Cold it sits just above the line. Hot it sits at the line or a bit above. Its a aftermarket reservoir from PO. And no i have not. It just started doing all this about 2 weeks ago and i have been working a lot. The truck gets driven every few days as i am in my work van mostly.

Ok, so the level in the reservoir is ok, that's good. Next check the level in the rad with the engine dead cold, some leaks won't allow the engine to draw coolant from the reservoir as it cools off.

Have you seen any steam on the inside of the windshield? Is the carpet damp/wet on the passenger side? If no to both of these, then you might not have a heater core leak, next thing to check would be heater hoses. The vapor from leaking coolant in that area can be drawn into the interior by the HVAC fan, the intake for cabin air is under the right side cowl.

Do you have a pressure tester? It's really easy to find leaks if you do...

Ok, so the level in the reservoir is ok, that's good. Next check the level in the rad with the engine dead cold, some leaks won't allow the engine to draw coolant from the reservoir as it cools off.

Have you seen any steam on the inside of the windshield? Is the carpet damp/wet on the passenger side? If no to both of these, then you might not have a heater core leak, next thing to check would be heater hoses. The vapor from leaking coolant in that area can be drawn into the interior by the HVAC fan, the intake for cabin air is under the right side cowl.

Do you have a pressure tester? It's really easy to find leaks if you do...

I mean the windshield fogs up because its cold outside so kind of hard to tell. I dont have carpet in my truck. Just a rubber mat and theres no spots on it. Ill look into those next.

And no i dont.

Look at the hoses and the clamps for weeping or cracks. A fine spray on a hot motor will produce the same smell with little or no noticeable drop in coolant tank.