farmboybunk

At over a 100 Hour (2017 XC 300) and it just keeps getting better

I bought the bike in March of 2017 (on the day KTM announced the release of the TPI) and it’s been pure fun ever since.

2017-04-22 13.07.31.jpgIMG_0366.JPG

I’ve added few odds and ins since buying it. More so because the wife let me then because the bike needed it (other then jetting...).

Lectron, RK Tek head, VForce 4 Reeds, FMF Sparky (Turbine Core) and Pro Circuit Pipe, AXP Xtreme Skid Plate. Extra set of wheels and TuBliss in both wheel sets.

I decided to add to the bikes versatility and added a custom enduro light kit and made it street legal. Added a large tank (IMS 3.5 gal). With the tank and Lectron I’ve went over 110 miles on one ride in Moab without refueling.

IMG_2957.JPG

I’ve put lots of miles and hours on since, but one thing that hasn’t changed is the fun factor this bike brings. Anytime I twist the throttle I have a perma grin on my face. It’s just flat out fun.

After hitting the 100 hour mark I decided it was time for a refresh.

I had put a new piston and ring in at a little over 80 hours, because I had cracked the exhaust flange and figured I should change the piston while I was changing the flange. Other then that and fresh filters and oil changes, the bike hadn’t required much work.

It was way past due for suspension maintenance. I went back and forth about just a refresh (oil, seals, bushing etc...) or refresh plus revalve.

IMG_0240.JPG

I decided to send the fork and shock to Kreft Moto and get their Revalve Control set-up. I’ve been super impressed.

The plastic and graphics were starting to look a little tired,

IMG_0243.JPG

So I decided to go custom graphics and new plastic and seat cover.

IMG_0357.JPG

IMG_0352.JPG

It came together nicely.

This is the first bike that I haven’t had “wondering eyes”. Looking for the next latest and greatest. There’s not another bike out there that I’d rather be riding.

• Like 6

I bought the bike in March of 2017 (on the day KTM announced the release of the TPI) and it’s been pure fun ever since.
706601840_2017-04-2213_07_31.thumb.jpg.47932737e8989818e6da9ea8d8fa1b69.jpgIMG_0366.thumb.JPG.a66fc5557b62ed678962b449fc60003f.JPG
I’ve added few odds and ins since buying it. More so because the wife let me then because the bike needed it (other then jetting...).
Lectron, RK Tek head, VForce 4 Reeds, FMF Sparky (Turbine Core) and Pro Circuit Pipe, AXP Xtreme Skid Plate. Extra set of wheels and TuBliss in both wheel sets.
I decided to add to the bikes versatility and added a custom enduro light kit and made it street legal. Added a large tank (IMS 3.5 gal). With the tank and Lectron I’ve went over 110 miles on one ride in Moab without refueling.
IMG_2957.thumb.JPG.c7c3659a9f35ce98cadd95ffd4f5958a.JPG
I’ve put lots of miles and hours on since, but one thing that hasn’t changed is the fun factor this bike brings. Anytime I twist the throttle I have a perma grin on my face. It’s just flat out fun.
After hitting the 100 hour mark I decided it was time for a refresh.
I had put a new piston and ring in at a little over 80 hours, because I had cracked the exhaust flange and figured I should change the piston while I was changing the flange. Other then that and fresh filters and oil changes, the bike hadn’t required much work.
It was way past due for suspension maintenance. I went back and forth about just a refresh (oil, seals, bushing etc...) or refresh plus revalve.
IMG_0240.thumb.JPG.6e81828788ddd43457f8b1bba0daf476.JPG
I decided to send the fork and shock to Kreft Moto and get their Revalve Control set-up. I’ve been super impressed.
The plastic and graphics were starting to look a little tired,
IMG_0243.thumb.JPG.1d46614fdde71c3fc99363065eac5164.JPG
So I decided to go custom graphics and new plastic and seat cover.
IMG_0357.thumb.JPG.4d797699e729b518a03bc0102bf2fb58.JPG
IMG_0352.thumb.JPG.5cc800bcb90a6b16097237955b5c7812.JPG
It came together nicely.
This is the first bike that I haven’t had “wondering eyes”. Looking for the next latest and greatest. There’s not another bike out there that I’d rather be riding.

Nice bike!!! Looking good after 100 hours. I feel the same way. There is no better bike out there imo, Especially for the trails.

• Like 1

Who did the graphics?

DeCal Works.

Out of the different custom graphic sites I tried, they had the most interactive site. Allowing instant review of graphic edits. I didn’t find another site like them. All the other sites you had to wait for a proof to be made and sent to see the layout of the graphic.

By that time you had to pay a bit of money and were committed to use them. While DeCal works allows you to play around with graphic content and see it in real time.

The downside is they were more money then most of the other sites.

I did a google search and found a 10% off coupon which was nice.

Why the chrome front wheel and black rear?

I picked up a back-up used front and rear rim on the cheap. The rear rim I got off eBay years ago for $180.  It came with a good rear sprocket and brake rotor, plus a decent tire. The seller even throw in a new bearing kit. It was ugly though. Someone had sprayed painted the silver rim black and it was coming off. A few months ago I laced up a new black Tusk rim to the DID hub.

The silver front rim I just picked up for a $100. It came with a Tubliss set-up and brake rotor. The front tire was shot though. I was able to get a complete spare rear and front wheel set-up (wheel, rotors/sprocket, Tubliss and tires) for the price of just a cheap set of aftermarket rims.

The downside, they don’t match...

I still have the stock wheel set. They are sitting ready with new tires for the first race of the season next Saturday.

IMG_0239.thumb.JPG.26824caab0127211c73f8bedcd795838.JPG

I don't blame you. IMO busted up wheels are the biggest enemy to a bike's looks. Don't know why, maybe because of the black. Having a nice set of rims in the future will go far in freshening it up looks-wise when you choose. 

I have a spare front wheel from my boy's 200. PO was a waste with maintenance. Let the roached-out bearings seize and wiped the hub. Even though it's in good shape, I'm gonna start looking to see what powder coating will cost me. 

Nice 300 btw 👍

• Like 1

Love my 18 300, very versatile, my mods are pretty basic, handguards, power parts bash plate, one light clutch(oh so buttery), gnarly ,head machined and keihen38.
Just love counterbalanced 2 strokes!
Rear spring and some suspension work will round things out nicely.

• Like 1

Love my 17 300xc after doing wp spring conversion on the forks.

Couldn't get good feel from the aer.

Love my 17 300xc after doing wp spring conversion on the forks.

Couldn't get good feel from the aer.

I’m getting great feel in the choppy with my Aer fork. Couldn’t be more happy with it imo.
  • Like 1

I have a 17 250xc that currently has 74 hrs on it. Bought it used in August with 24hrs on it. Other then a damper cartridge seal failure in the fork I haven’t had to do any real work to this bike. Still has the original brake pads. I have absolutely no intention of buying a new bike anytime soon, this bike does everything I want it to and is easily the best bike I’ve ever owned.IMG_1395.jpg

IMG_1310.jpg
  • Like 3

Love my 17 300xc after doing wp spring conversion on the forks. Couldn't get good feel from the aer. 

I was having a hard time getting a good balance between whoops and rocks. If I had it stiff enough for whoops it would deflect in rocks and vice versa with it soft enough in rocks and not deflect it would bottom in whoops.

The tough part is, I have both rocks and whoops in my riding area.

After the Revalve by Kreft, it’s more controlled at the same time in rocks and whoops.

I really like the suspension a lot. I can push harder for longer with a lot more confidence.

• Like 1

I have a 17 250xc...I have absolutely no intention of buying a new bike anytime soon, this bike does everything I want it to and is easily the best bike I’ve ever owned.IMG_1395.jpg.950738e54a84cab7d0f97ee659865bcb.jpg
IMG_1310.jpg.752bac5fb23d08499a07dea0b8ceb40f.jpg

Nice Bike and nice find !

I’ve had quite the holiday weekend. I went from trouble free to two issues on back to back rides.

Saturday I got back from a ride and found a broke spoke on the rear wheel.

IMG_0369.thumb.JPG.ad528666c7ee31fb8476314816b0d2ac.JPG

No big deal. Went and put the stock wheels with new tires front and rear on.

I installed Tusk spoke and nipples when I installed my new Tusk rim on my old stock hub and I’ve had two of the soft aluminum nipples fail. One stripped out the threads and lost tension. The last one completely sheared in half (you can see it in the pic).

Jump forward to this morning. Went for a ride when half way through a 35 mile single track loop I hear a clank and the bike stalls with me clipping along in 4th gear. Luckily I was covering the clutch and immediately pulled it in. I come to a stop and saw that my fairly new o-ring chain (23 hours of use) had broke and had jammed up in the front sprocket and case saver guard. Luckily it didn’t break the case. Only a small gauge.

IMG_0374.thumb.JPG.b615ecc422e3ae589ceaf10697bd76d4.JPG

IMG_0375.thumb.JPG.4c25d9cc140629cb62452dc6b8c7b5ca.JPG

I found that the chain guard on the swing arm was bent inward and had wore/removed the master link clip allowing the chain to come apart.

My wife and kids came to my rescue. I lucked out because my chain snapped right at the halfway point where the loop crosses a big wash that my Jeep could go up or else it would have been a long sucky push.

Though it was freezing cold waiting two hours for the rescue team to reach me. It was in the mid 30’s, windy and sprinkling. You can see the snow fairly low on the mountains.

IMG_0379.thumb.JPG.9de5aaff6067cc092d735b0ea6933662.JPG

IMG_0381.thumb.JPG.af50ac18e7823d1997cb14f1eaa5af0d.JPG

IMG_0385.thumb.JPG.ef21f2ca7af40d2645ebcf4a879e58a9.JPG

Just ordered a new TM Design Chain Guard and new chain and front sprocket along with new spokes with steel nipples.

Knock on wood I’ll hopefully once again get back to trouble free miles.

• Like 2