Lightweight adult bike

22 minutes ago, Fishdiver said:

What bikes have following traits?

• 200 lb weight (more or less)
  • 21 inch front wheel
  • Wide ratio transmission 
  • Ideally, Japanese brand

The only one I can think that is close to 200lbs, Japanese and wide ratio transmission is the YZ250X 2T. They get heavier from there. 

There's more 4t selection but you'll have to be a little more specific in your criteria. What's most important? Your skill level? What kind of riding? High maintenance, low maintenance? Dual sport? Street legal? :excuseme:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fishdiver said:

Looking for a bike for trail riding and play. A motocross bike but with a wide ratio tranny. 

What's your skill level. I'm guessing novice? If so a TTR230 or CRF230 are set up for trail riding and play. They are low maintenance and not as hardcore as mx. I'm pretty sure they have wide ratio transmission.

5 hours ago, Fishdiver said:

Looking for a bike for trail riding and play. A motocross bike but with a wide ratio tranny. 

MX bike for MX.  Enduro bike for woods/trail riding.

MX bikes are AWFUL in the woods.  Stiff suspension, kickstart only, all top end power.  Exactly the opposite of what you want on the trails.

• Like 3

The only full size bike that weighs 200lbs ready to go is a 125 or a ktm 150. The 200s and 250s are 220lb+.

The KTM 150xcw would be the only one with a wide ratio transmission, unless you like vintage bikes. The japs stopped making enduro 2ts a long time ago. FWIW the regular yz125 six speed is plenty wide for my woods riding.

You’re probably going to have to give up one requirement, either Japanese or wide ratio.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fishdiver said:

Thanks, these are too heavy. 

Ok well like I said Yamaha is the only Japanese manufacturer that makes close to what you're looking for with the YZ250X. The others make them as well, but they are 4t and heavier. With the "criteria" you gave, you're looking for a unicorn. Later

• Helpful 1

21 minutes ago, Fishdiver said:

Hoping someone made an enduro 125.

Actually a few manufacturers do but they're not Japanese.

Husqvarna TX125

Beta 125 RR

Sherco 125 SE-R

KTM 150 XC-W (similar size)

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Fishdiver said:

Sounds like I will add a YZ125 or just keep riding my DRZ. Hoping someone made an enduro 125. 

You are getting dead on advice above.  To meet your criteria you are looking at a unicorn that doesnt really exist.  I would open up your search to the wide ratio enduro bikes in 2 and 4 stroke models made by Euros and Japanese.

The Japanese Cross Country and Enduro bike models are:

• Yamaha WR250F/WR450F - 4 stroke Enduro models, lights, wide ratio, watercooled,  elec start, 250+ lbs wet.
  • Yamaha YZ250FX/YZ450FX - 4 stroke Cross Country models, wide ratio, watercooled, elec start 240+ lbs wet
  • Yamaha YZ250X - 2 Stroke Cross Country model, wide ratio, watercooled, kick start, 230 lbs wet.  (Note I have seen some postings recently saying that the YZ250X 5 speed gearbox may not be as wide ratio as the WR250F/WR450F and that the first two gears are higher [lower numeric] ratios than the true wide ratio transmission.  I have not seen any actual gear ratio specifications to confirm or deny that).
  • Suzuki RMX-450Z - the competitor to WR450F.  Made in 08 and 09.  stopped for a while.  Recently reintroduced.
  • Kawasaki KLX300R/KLX450R - competitor to WR250F/WR450F - no longer made

European Enduro Models:

• KTM 150/250/300 XC-W - 2 stroke Enduro models, lights, wide ratio, watercooled, elec start 220+ lbs wet.  Look up weight specs on each.  Pay attention to whether specs are dry or wet.  Wet means with fuel, oil, coolant and typically adds 15 lbs to a bike.
  • KTM 250/350/450/500  XCF-W/EXC - 4 stroke Enduro models, lights, wide ratio, watercooled, elec start, 240+ lbs wet.  Look up weight specs on each.  EXC models are 'street-legal' dirt bikes.  350 model is especially light weight for a 4 stroke.  Pay attention to whether specs are dry or wet.  Wet means with fuel, oil, coolant and typically adds 15-20 lbs to a bike.
  • Husqvarna  TE 150/250/300  - 2 stroke Enduro models, lights, wide ratio, watercooled, elec start 220+ lbs wet.  Look up weight specs on each.  Pay attention to whether specs are dry or wet.  Wet means with fuel, oil, coolant and typically adds 15 lbs to a bike.
  • Husqvarna FE 250/350/450/501- 4 stroke Enduro models, lights, wide ratio, watercooled, elec start, 240+ lbs wet.  Look up weight specs on each.  I think but dont know for sure all FE models are 'street-legal' dirt bikes or that may only be true for the 350/501 models.  350 model is especially light weight for a 4 stroke.  Pay attention to whether specs are dry or wet.  Wet means with fuel, oil, coolant and typically adds 15-20 lbs to a bike.
  • Beta RR 125/200/250/300 (race and nonrace editions) - 2 stroke Enduro models, lights, wide ratio, watercooled, elec start.  Generally 220+ lbs wet with fuel but look up weight specs.
  • Beta X (Cross) Trainer - 300 - 2 stroke Enduro model, wide ratio, lights, watercooled, elec start.  About 10% smaller than full size bike.  About 230 lbs with fuel
  • Beta RR 350/390/430/480 Race Editions - 4 stroke Enduro models, lights, wide ratio, watercooled, elec start.  Generally 255+ lbs with fuel but look up weight specs of individual models.
  • Beta RR-S 125/350/390/430/500 Street Legal Models - 4 stroke Enduro models, lights with turn signals, mirrors, wide ratio, watercooled, elec start. Generally 255+ lbs with fuel (245 lbs for 125 model) but look up individual specs.
  • Sherco, TM, Ossa...maybe GasGas are more boutique/specialty bikes and you can check out the specs.  GasGas was an up and coming brand similar to Beta when they hit financial troubles for several years and barely survived bankruptcy.  They are now back at it and producing a lineup similar to Beta but the older bikes may run into parts availability/production issues down the road.

Good luck with your search

Edited by SilvFx
  • Like 6

22 hours ago, Fishdiver said:

What bikes have following traits?

• 200 lb weight (more or less)
  • 21 inch front wheel
  • Wide ratio transmission 
  • Ideally, Japanese brand

YZ125 which is still made and checks three boxes except it doesn't have WR transmission.

1 hour ago, SilvFx said:

You are getting dead on advice above.  To meet your criteria you are looking at a unicorn that doesnt really exist.  I would open up your search to the wide ratio enduro bikes in 2 and 4 stroke models made by Euros and Japanese.

The Japanese Cross Country and Enduro bike models are:

• Yamaha WR250F/WR450F - 4 stroke Enduro models, lights, wide ratio, watercooled,  elec start, 250+ lbs wet.
  • Yamaha YZ250FX/YZ450FX - 4 stroke Cross Country models, wide ratio, watercooled, elec start 240+ lbs wet
  • Yamaha YZ250x - 2 Stroke Cross Country model, wide ratio, watercooled, elect start, 220+ lbs wet
  • Suzuki RMX-450Z - the competitor to WR450F.  Made in 08 and 09.  stopped for a while.  Recently reintroduced.
  • Kawasaki KLX300R/KLX450R - competitor to WR250F/WR450F - no longer made

European Enduro Models:

• KTM 150/250/300 XC-W - 2 stroke Enduro models, lights, wide ratio, watercooled, elec start 220+ lbs wet.  Look up weight specs on each.  Pay attention to whether specs are dry or wet.  Wet means with fuel, oil, coolant and typically adds 15 lbs to a bike.
  • KTM 250/350/450/500  XCF-W/EXC - 4 stroke Enduro models, lights, wide ratio, watercooled, elec start, 240+ lbs wet.  Look up weight specs on each.  EXC models are 'street-legal' dirt bikes.  350 model is especially light weight for a 4 stroke.  Pay attention to whether specs are dry or wet.  Wet means with fuel, oil, coolant and typically adds 15-20 lbs to a bike.
  • Husqvarna  TE 150/250/300  - 2 stroke Enduro models, lights, wide ratio, watercooled, elec start 220+ lbs wet.  Look up weight specs on each.  Pay attention to whether specs are dry or wet.  Wet means with fuel, oil, coolant and typically adds 15 lbs to a bike.
  • Husqvarna FE 250/350/450/501- 4 stroke Enduro models, lights, wide ratio, watercooled, elec start, 240+ lbs wet.  Look up weight specs on each.  I think but dont know for sure all FE models are 'street-legal' dirt bikes or that may only be true for the 350/501 models.  350 model is especially light weight for a 4 stroke.  Pay attention to whether specs are dry or wet.  Wet means with fuel, oil, coolant and typically adds 15-20 lbs to a bike.
  • Beta RR 125/200/250/300 (race and nonrace editions) - 2 stroke Enduro models, lights, wide ratio, watercooled, elec start.  Generally 220+ lbs wet with fuel but look up weight specs.
  • Beta X (Cross) Trainer - 300 - 2 stroke Enduro model, wide ratio, lights, watercooled, elec start.  About 10% smaller than full size bike.  About 230 lbs with fuel
  • Beta RR 350/390/430/480 Race Editions - 4 stroke Enduro models, lights, wide ratio, watercooled, elec start.  Generally 255+ lbs with fuel but look up weight specs of individual models.
  • Beta RR-S 125/350/390/430/500 Street Legal Models - 4 stroke Enduro models, lights with turn signals, mirrors, wide ratio, watercooled, elec start. Generally 255+ lbs with fuel (245 lbs for 125 model) but look up individual specs.
  • Sherco, TM, Ossa...maybe GasGas are more boutique/specialty bikes and you can check out the specs.  GasGas was an up and coming brand similar to Beta when they hit financial troubles for several years and barely survived bankruptcy.  They are now back at it and producing a lineup similar to Beta but the older bikes may run into parts availability/production issues down the road.

Good luck with your search

Thanks  for an extremely comprehensive reply! Looks like one of the YZ models is my best bet.