Decided to go back to 2-smoke.

Sold my YZ250F last fall. In the final few rides of the year I rode my buddies 2 strokes. Was a chance to see how I liked it. Liked it enough I picked up a '16 250X on Thursday! Pretty excited to go back to simplicity to be quite honest. It had a fresh top end that hadn't even really been "broken in" yet, vforce reeds, JD kit, brand new tires, suspension service just prior to being stored in a basement for a bit. The intent is to race sprint enduros and some harescrambles then mostly trail otherwise. Probably hit an mx practice day now and then. The previous owner was an older gent, but he had the trophies and plaques to prove his ability, to me at least. That said he set it up more MX suspension-wise because he rides mostly mx but loved the power delivery of the X. I plan to contact the shop he had it done by to get a run down on what all was done and their opinion on how it'll work for me moving forward. I have some plans for it myself which include:

Radiator guards (probably unabiker)

Skid plate (no idea which one yet, plan to scour this forum)

OEM pipe guard as it had a gnarly on it since he owned it, I am taking that off to put the mint oem back on that he gave me with bike.

Cycra CRM handguards (already have those courtesy of my brother in law)

Rekluse Radius X

Been going through it since I got it, tear down, clean/inspect/repack or replace chassis bearings. Going to go through the cables, etc, etc, and just make sure everything is good to go as we are planning a trip to WV in March, which, may be my first ride on it lol. Need to armor it up with the above. 

What else would you guys think or are using that is a must for that type of racing? My buddy has the same exact bike, he bought the oversized tank but still has to stop for gas. So if that's the case, why bother? Debating Tubliss too. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, J_YZ2fittyX said:

Sold my YZ250F last fall. In the final few rides of the year I rode my buddies 2 strokes. Was a chance to see how I liked it. Liked it enough I picked up a '16 250X on Thursday! Pretty excited to go back to simplicity to be quite honest. It had a fresh top end that hadn't even really been "broken in" yet, vforce reeds, JD kit, brand new tires, suspension service just prior to being stored in a basement for a bit. The intent is to race sprint enduros and some harescrambles then mostly trail otherwise. Probably hit an mx practice day now and then. The previous owner was an older gent, but he had the trophies and plaques to prove his ability, to me at least. That said he set it up more MX suspension-wise because he rides mostly mx but loved the power delivery of the X. I plan to contact the shop he had it done by to get a run down on what all was done and their opinion on how it'll work for me moving forward. I have some plans for it myself which include:

Radiator guards (probably unabiker)

Skid plate (no idea which one yet, plan to scour this forum)

OEM pipe guard as it had a gnarly on it since he owned it, I am taking that off to put the mint oem back on that he gave me with bike.

Cycra CRM handguards (already have those courtesy of my brother in law)

Rekluse Radius X

Been going through it since I got it, tear down, clean/inspect/repack or replace chassis bearings. Going to go through the cables, etc, etc, and just make sure everything is good to go as we are planning a trip to WV in March, which, may be my first ride on it lol. Need to armor it up with the above. 

What else would you guys think or are using that is a must for that type of racing? My buddy has the same exact bike, he bought the oversized tank but still has to stop for gas. So if that's the case, why bother? Debating Tubliss too. 

the flatland radiator guards fit pretty seamlessly for me at $105.

1 hour ago, markmc2 said:

You may like the suspension. I ride an 08 yz250 with stock mx suspension on trails and some single track enduro races. Works for me. 

I always ran my yz250f more mx favored. It was fantastic in trail whoops and any chop. But, when i rode my buddies 300 xc with done woods setup, it was very noticeable the difference in reaction over roots etc. My yz used to skip around on that stuff. While manageable, was noticeable. However it was much worse in high speed whoops than my yz. Can't have it all.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 2strokeYardSale said:

The bar inserts prevent the handguards from rotating in a crash. It gets old having to break out a wrench or two and loosen/reposition/tighten the handguard hardware.

Ya I looked into those. Actually my buddy was saying other day that people do this. I never had before but I know what you mean, when they twist. I always had pro-bends on my yz250f but just the standard wedge-anchor type hardware. Spun frequently.

TMD skid plate.

I have the Unabiker guards. They are notorious for needing to be redrilled to fit. It’s not a huge deal, but if I were doing it again, I’d go with Bullet Proof Designs. Another advantage is their “blue” is much closer to Yamaha blue and Unabiker blue is most definitely not.

https://www.bulletproofdesigns.com/Yamaha-Radiator-Guards-s/228.htm

Another thumbs up on the Unabikers. You might poke around this forum a bit and see if there are fitment issues with an oversized tank.

Ricochet for a skid plate if you want an aluminum one.

I like the stamped Devol rear disk guards for their light weight and axle mounting method.

1 hour ago, Tahoe Gator said:

TMD skid plate.

I like Hyde Racing better because the plastic is greasy which slides over logs better. The TMD take fatigue hits and look dull pretty fast whereas the Hyde doesn't show stress marks (other than scrapes).

https://www.hyderacing.net/index.php?_route_=dirt-bike/yamaha-dirt-bikes/yamaha-yz-250-2-stroke/yamaha-250-2-stroke-skid-plate