florida What class should I enter in FTR harescrambles

I just bought a crf450 and would like to race a upcoming FTR harescramble.  I have zero experience on a bike, although 15 years ago i raced in the A class on a quad. Mostly motocross, a dozen HS races or so.  I was leaning towards beginner or c class but do not want to sandbag.  Any suggestions?

JB,

Since you have "some" experience in racing I would suggest going into the "C" class for your age group. I am assuming you haven't rode the bike a lot so you would fit right into that class. If you find that your up in the front (1st thru 3rd) for the races you can always move up a class to push yourself to get better rather than stay put and get the wood!!!

DonO

Edited by DonO
  • Like 1

Correct, my experience on a bike is about 3 hours of riding on pavement around my neighborhood.  

4 hours ago, Jbird117 said:

Correct, my experience on a bike is about 3 hours of riding on pavement around my neighborhood.  

Run the Beginner or C class your 1st time out. No knock on your skills, but I wouldn't worry too much about sandbagging until the event is over.  You can always move up a class the next time out. 

• Like 1

JB,

Well get to a track and turn some laps. And if ya can, head over to Croom or ONF.

And maybe some tips for you. (you may have forgot these)

1. Breath (sounds funny but I bet your exhausted your first couple of races 'til you figure that out)

2. Look ahead, like 20 ' (don't be looking down at what is right in front of the front wheel)

3. Hydrate (I used to drink so much the night before and before the races I was livin' in the portalets) :smirk::smirk:

Edited by DonO
  • Like 1

Also, FTR hare scrambles run both a Saturday and Sunday race at each event for different classes. Usually a 1.5 hour race on a 5 to 6 mile course on Saturday, and a 2.0 hour race on a 10 to 12 mile course on Sunday. Check the pdf event flyers on FTR's website under Event Schedule if you haven't already done so, to choose your day and class.

Appreciate all the replies guys.  I'm gonna try and get a few sessions in before okeechobee and see how comfortable I am.  Getting older and fatter the 1.5 hour definitely sounds better right now.

Run the beginner class for your first time out and get the feel of it. Can't really sandbag that class from what I recall since if you win you get advanced. That'll help ease your way in to it. It was an eye opener to me, I'd been riding all my life, but never raced and asked at signup. They told me to just go run beginner and I'm glad I did. I would do the same if I were moving from A bikes to quads now, it's just a completely different animal. Also, to add to the advice.... have fun!