RLamb

XR200 Fuel Tank Swap

I read on another post here that the plastics on an '84-'85 XR250 will interchange with the XR200. I believe the conversation was about the fenders and side panels. Does anyone know if this applies to the fuel tank. I have a '96 XR200 and found an '85 tank. Thx in advance.

1 hour ago, Chuck. said:

the 84-85 tanks are a bit lighter

What about compared to the 88 year model? And how much lighter? Maybe I should got to my local junk yard and weight a few.

1 hour ago, Chuck. said:

The tanks do interchange but the 84-85 tanks are a bit lighter and my 84 XR250R tank developed leaks around the front mounts.

I bet you'll find differences in weight in 84-85 tanks if you weigh several ........... same with 86 on.   How many did you weigh and how much difference was there?

Old School Al

My short list; I only recorded one XR200R tank because the other two that I measured were close. The 84 was only about 1/4lb lighter so not a big saving. A XR100 tank weighs a pound less, and hold 1 gallon less gas for another 6lbs. It is also easy to adapt to a XR200R. Most of these tanks are roto molded and as OSA points out there can be variations in weight.
84 XR250R fuel tank (2.4 gal capacity)… 4.78lbs
XR100 fuel tank (1.4 gal capacity)……… 4.06lbs
90 XR200 fuel tank (2.4 gal capacity)….. 5.09lbs
Clark plastic tank……………………..… 3.88lbs
CR125 Al tank '79…………………….... 3.12lbs
CR250R '06 tank/cap/petcock##.............. 3.2lbs

Tank 00 XR100 on 90 XR200R.JPG

Edited by Chuck.

Most likely they are all in the same range and you were comparing a light end of the range 84-85, to a heavy end of the range 86 on.  If you weighed a few tanks you'd find a light 86 on possibly...........or a heavy 84-85.?  Not uncommon to find weights can vary on some parts when you have a accurate scale to play with.;)

Old School Al

image.png.67a2579d83080a473fe3db4d11f55fbb.pngI use digital scales and postal scales. However none are certified because I don't use them for sales. However as you pointed out there are production variations and IMO is not worth pursuing minutia instead of functionality, which is why I still have steel side stands, and heavy Trials tires on my bikes.

image.png.67a2579d83080a473fe3db4d11f55fbb.png

image.png

Edited by Chuck.

Thx for all the input. I'm really not concerned about weight so much as looks. My '96 white tank is stained to the point I haven't found anything to get it back to white again. I found a red '85 tank in good cond and since I'll be putting the bike up for sale this spring, thought it might look a lot better.