badweatherbiker

XR200R street legal modification

So i still have this 1991 XR200R with brand new progressive suspension set up for my 230 lb middle aged body. I have owned this bike since 1995 and I would love to find a street titled frame that I can swap everything into and use it as a dual sport. Before I get flogged because of the low power on the street yadda yadda yadda i know, i plan to throw it on a hitch rack on the back of my YJ or trailer it to the forest which isnt far and blast down the trails so I dont need anything that will run 70mph. Its was sold with the better or longer travel suspension of the series and right after the suspension was completley redone it was wrecked and the frame is tweaked so if im replacing the frame i want to use it as much as possible. My daughter wants to ride some as well and there are times i would rather take it somewhere than the heavy arsed Vstrom i have.
My question is what year and size XL frame would be a swap candidate for it?

One option is the 83-84 XL200R because it was based on the 81-83 XR200R chassis.

Better option would be to legalize your XR200R since many states allow modding off road bikes for street use. I have dirt bikes in AZ and WA that are registered for street use. I recently helped a friend mod his 90 XR200R for a plate. So if your state allows conversions there is lots of info, and after market parts, to make it happen.

36 minutes ago, Chuck. said:

One option is the 83-84 XL200R because it was based on the 81-83 XR200R chassis.

Better option would be to legalize your XR200R since many states allow modding off road bikes for street use. I have dirt bikes in AZ and WA that are registered for street use. I recently helped a friend mod his 90 XR200R for a plate. So if your state allows conversions there is lots of info, and after market parts, to make it happen.

Would love to just plate it but i am in florida so its pretty much impossible here i tried with a KLX400 years ago. Would the 83- 84 XL 200 be a direct swap?

To circumvent Florida's requirements you could have a buddy in another state title it and then sell it to you. Still beats doing a frame swap just for tags IMO unless you are wanting to do a full resto.

The pre 86 engine/chassis have a shorter countershaft that locates the sprocket inboard compared to the 86+ engines. You can use an aftermarket countershaft sprocket circlip on the newer engine which lets the sprocket float on the countershaft. But you need to be careful of rear wheel alignment to prevent the chain from rubbing on the center case. The XL rotor/stator will fit the newer engine.

Have said that XL200Rs are scarce.

On 1/20/2019 at 4:24 PM, badweatherbiker said:

So i still have this 1991 XR200R with brand new progressive suspension set up for my 230 lb middle aged body. I have owned this bike since 1995 and I would love to find a street titled frame that I can swap everything into and use it as a dual sport. Before I get flogged because of the low power on the street yadda yadda yadda i know, i plan to throw it on a hitch rack on the back of my YJ or trailer it to the forest which isnt far and blast down the trails so I dont need anything that will run 70mph. Its was sold with the better or longer travel suspension of the series and right after the suspension was completley redone it was wrecked and the frame is tweaked so if im replacing the frame i want to use it as much as possible. My daughter wants to ride some as well and there are times i would rather take it somewhere than the heavy arsed Vstrom i have.
My question is what year and size XL frame would be a swap candidate for it?

I have a street legal 97 XR200. I didn't really plan on selling the frame but I do have another frame for it & I don't use it on the street at all. I currently have the bike tore apart so it wouldn't be hard to swap frames if you interested.