Will hit but not start

Hello I have a 2005 rmz 450. Put new top end in bike. Shimmed valves got everything thing timed correctly. Cleaned carb. Put bike back together tried to fire bike. All bike will do is hit not fire up and run. Anything I could possibly look for or anyone no what the issue could be? Any input is greatly appreciated thanks.

Hello I have a 2005 rmz 450. Put new top end in bike. Shimmed valves got everything thing timed correctly. Cleaned carb. Put bike back together tried to fire bike. All bike will do is hit not fire up and run. Anything I could possibly look for or anyone no what the issue could be? Any input is greatly appreciated thanks.

Double check timing just in case.

• 2 weeks later...
Checked timing again. Everything is timed perfectly. All bike dose is hit not start and run. What else could be issue

Try some starting fluid, maybe when the carb was cleaned something could have come loose and got caught in the jet. That could be a possibility.

Try some starting fluid, maybe when the carb was cleaned something could have come loose and got caught in the jet. That could be a possibility.
Rechecked timing everything is good. Cleaned carb again went to start. Now back runs for 2 to 3 seconds then dies. Dose this every other kick mostly but sometimes every kick.

Alright, so something is preventing it from getting fuel for long enough to run for very long, did you check float level And float needle condition while you were in the carb?
I checked the float height. It was good. I did not pay alot of attention to the float needle.

have you tried testing the bike with the TPS disconnected? The bike will default to a safe spark map with the TPS disconnected. If the issue still persists, then its not your TPS.
Yes I have and it's the same thing. Run a couple seconds then die. What else could be the issue?

7 hours ago, Yamahammer52 said:
13 hours ago, jadedsynk said:
have you tried testing the bike with the TPS disconnected? The bike will default to a safe spark map with the TPS disconnected. If the issue still persists, then its not your TPS.

Yes I have and it's the same thing. Run a couple seconds then die. What else could be the issue?

you said you cleaned the carb a couple times, maybe during so you accidentally bumped the needle and messed up the height? or the needle seat could be worn/gunked up. wouldn't hurt to check the float needle and seat to ensure that it is allowed to fully open. you could test this by loosening the carb float bowl drain screw and checking the fuel flow. while you are checking the carb, verify your air/fuel mix setting is correct aswell. if that doesn't work, id start looking at the ecu...

Edited by jadedsynk
  • Like 1