Tfrank59

Trail tech vapor

Hey what's up. I just joined this forum because I just got a TTR225. I'm not new to riding I've had motocrossers and my last dirtbike was a KTM 530. I decided KTM stands for cost too much so I got this little thing to putt around on. I have two road bikes which is more less what I mainly ride now that I'm pushing 60.   Anyway I got to make the TTR street legal because I don't feel like loading it into my truck anytime I want to ride trails, so I had to buy one of those trail tech tech  tachometer/speedometer things -- cost me over 130 bucks but I was wondering if anybody has experience with them. I had a TTO tachometer on my KTM and it worked great and it only took like 20 minutes to wire it up. I saw a couple of YouTube's how to wire up the trail tech vapor that I just bought but if you guys have any tips  either for installing or for setting it up, I'd welcome them. Thanks a lot for your help. 

I have the Voyager which is pretty much the same thing but with maps and a GPS option for speed instead of the wheel sensor. Install is very easy, just take your time and plan out how the wires will run. Start with mounting the head unit somewhere where it doesn't put pressure on any wires or cables and angle it where you can see it even in the sun. Pick up some thin wire loom from either an auto parts store or Walmart and run all of your leads through that. Start all the leads together and in the same direction in front of the head tube and then start separating them where they need to go. Zip tie the leads next to existing wiring or cables but remember to leave yourself plenty of slack - test by turning the handlebars limit to limit. Same with the sensor going to the front wheel - ensure you give enough slack for full extension of the shocks.

For power, I went all the way to the battery and then soldered in loop connectors with shrink wrap tubing around each connection. Do you have a charger/maintainer for the battery? Might be a good time to permanently connect a charging dongle to your battery.

image.png.d0a490d83991d272ab049e6d7fad58ac.png

Wow, that's a lot--thanks!  The voyager is sweet, a little beyond my budget though.  I do have a battery tender and it's already got the pigtail on there.  I didn't think to shrink wrap stuff--great idea.  I'll let you (and everyone) know how it turns out. 

Edited by Tfrank59

I've got a TrailTech Vapor, easy to install, follow directions and make it clean and you're good to go.  Overall I like it, when it works.  My issue is the speedometer.  It worked great for about a year, then it got spotty.  The sensor cuts out and stops reading during a ride.  I notice it is consistent with vibration.  If that could get sorted, that'd be great.  Perhaps upgrading to the Voyager is the way to go, to eliminate vibration for reading.  Since my bike is plated I use the Odo to help me figure out how far I've got left in the tank.  If that goes, I'm kinda guessing.  Speedo is important on the roads of course.

Well I just got mine installed. Boy was that a lot of work! It seems like it took forever for me to figure out how to do the sensor. And I didn't appreciate how stiff the cable housing is cuz I think they were trying to really encase it so that nothing could damage it but it was too stiff to work with and I was fighting it. Plus I'm kind of concerned that the sensor stays taped to the fork. I can't get a zip tie get around it because the caliper is in the way. But one thing that worked out good is I basically gambled on where to stick the thing and it works fine. I got to program everything and calibrate for the size of my front wheel but other than that I think I'm good to go. I hope this thing keeps on working and doesn't quit on me or start to, as you say, miss. For what it's worth the TTO electronic tachometer I have on my other bike works great even after 3 years and over 500 hours.

Edited by Tfrank59

Does this have an internal battery, or does it expect power from the bike?  Those of us with kick start only bikes want to know.

the answer is both.  if your bike doesn't have a batt, you can simply run it off its internal batt, which I believe lasts over a year to power the unit.  check the trail tech website--it explains all of that better than I can.  What I can say by way of review is the unit does as advertised but it's a pain for a guy like me who's not savvy with wiring to get it all going.

The unit has both power sources, I've got mine on the battery.

The wiring worked easy for me, and I hate wiring.  At the time I installed my Vapor I had the bike apart redoing the dual sport wiring.  So least I was in "electrical mode" brainwise and has all the wiring exposed.

The speedo sensor is a pain, it doesn't sit as snug as it could to the fork.  I have one zip tie running over it as well and you're right tfrank, it is a tight fit with the brake disc, you gotta find the right brand of ziptie that is a little thinner.

Augoose, any idea off the top of your head if the existing Vapor sensors will plug into the Voyager unit? 

On 2/5/2019 at 8:49 AM, Monica said:

Augoose, any idea off the top of your head if the existing Vapor sensors will plug into the Voyager unit? 

From a manufacturing standpoint, I'd imagine they are the same. To check, I went to the trail tech site and saw that the part number for the speed sensor for both the vapor and the voyager are the same. I'd expect all others are that way too.

• Helpful 1

23 hours ago, Augoose said:

From a manufacturing standpoint, I'd imagine they are the same. To check, I went to the trail tech site and saw that the part number for the speed sensor for both the vapor and the voyager are the same. I'd expect all others are that way too.

I suppose one could ask their tech support people, though they might want to poo poo the idea so as to make you buy more new stuff.:blah:

On 2/7/2019 at 6:39 PM, Tfrank59 said:

I suppose one could ask their tech support people, though they might want to poo poo the idea so as to make you buy more new stuff.:blah:

Perhaps, but having dealt with their tech support, my opinion of them is they went above and beyond.  The tech I worked with on my speedo issue was very responsive.  TrailTech tested my Vapor unit (I shipped to them $7 total, they shipped back) .  Ultimately they sent two new speed sensor kits to get me rolling again.  I don't have negatives for their service, my experience was very positive.  I'm hoping a reposition of the sensor will maintain the connection.  If it goes out again though, I'll have to make a change, I need a speedo/odo.  Best case scenario is I can swap out the head unit and the rest of the wiring would stay put.  I'll have to xreference kits though before committing to that plan.

I second TTs customer support. They have been very helpful to me and I had bought nothing from them when I called. What I had I bought used or came with my bike from the PO.

And yes, the sensors are all the same for all of their head units. I asked that same question as I am thinking of upgrading.

Well that's good to know that they're so helpful. For what I shelled out for my Trail Tech Vapor I think they should be very supportive if and when I contact them for some help. As I mentioned I had a Trail Tech tachometer some years back for another bike, it was a parallel twin Triumph and I couldn't configure it properly for that motor's output, and I was working with tech support and they were responsive but we never did find a solution. I ended up selling the bike for other reasons.