age and dirtbiking...how any of you guys are 40+

I still show no sign of slowing down, still workout everyday and try to ride 2 or 3x a week (not recent due to snow/ice and house work) but my obsession with trail riding has been around since an early age. Now picking up dirtbiking at a later age (30s) wonder how long I can take a beating and fall till I cant any more lol. Truly love this sport and dam I hate I was not introduced to it at an earlier age. With me in my 30s, I wonder how I will be in my 40s, 50s even 60s! I know, a while to go, but the day will come....hopefully

Curious how you "older" fellas feel? Still going? need to take it easier on lighter trails, etc?

Edited by RideWithWill
  • Like 2

I still show no sign of slowing down, still workout everyday and try to ride 2 or 3x a week (not recent due to snow/ice and house work) but my obsession with trail riding has been around since an early age. Now picking up dirtbiking at a later age (30s) wonder how long I can take a beating and fall till I cant any more lol. Truly love this sport and dam I hate I was not introduced to it at an earlier age. With me in my 30s, I wonder how I will be in my 40s, 50s even 60s! I know, a while to go, but the day will come....hopefully

Curious how you "older" fellas feel? Still going? need to take it easier on lighter trails, etc?
Me 52.. young one with one group that I ride with.. several in their 70' s and they ride fast still. Took a couple of the young guys ( 20s) where I'm the old guy in another group I ride with riding with the old group and they were shocked at how quick the old guys were.( 70s)
  • Like 1

OP, That was the whole purpose of the "seniors" thread which now is in Town Square sub-forum.  Not sure ANY of the regulars are UNDER 40.  I suggest you look at the thread and see if it's informative at all for you.  You could certainly ask any questions you might have too.  A pretty good group of guys & gals.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, partsguy57 said:
24 minutes ago, RideWithWill said:

Read more  

Me 52.. young one with one group that I ride with.. several in their 70' s and they ride fast still. Took a couple of the young guys ( 20s) where I'm the old guy in another group I ride with riding with the old group and they were shocked at how quick the old guys were.( 70s)

yeah there is quite a few fast ones out there. but dang in their 70s!? that is amazing!! I hope I can still ride when im in my 70s. 

1 minute ago, motoxvet said:

OP, That was the whole purpose of the "seniors" thread which now is in Town Square sub-forum.  Not sure ANY of the regulars are UNDER 40.  I suggest you look at the thread and see if it's informative at all for you.  You could certainly ask any questions you might have too.  A pretty good group of guys & gals.

ah didnt see that one thanks!

• Like 2

I'm 60 and can't wait 'til tomorrow 'cause I keep getting better every day. ?

Though I'm a bit puzzled by these geological changes with the trails getting longer and the climbs steeper. :excuseme: 

That it takes me longer provides no other logical explanation.

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Flagstaff said:

Though I'm a bit puzzled by these geological changes with the trails getting longer and the climbs steeper. :excuseme: 

I think that has something to do with the earth's magnetic field changing...but I'm not sure.  Hang in there, man!  BTW-I'm older than you.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

65 here, been riding since I was 12.  I enjoy it now as much as ever.  I am a little more caution on the rocky downhills.  I don’t bounce back as quick as I used to, but it’s all worth it.  Now that I’m retired, I get to ride more often and mid week, which is the best time to go.  And I have more discretionary income to put into it, which is nice.  I ride with a couple of guys in their mid 70s.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Gflo said:

65 here, been riding since I was 12.  I enjoy it now as much as ever.  I am a little more caution on the rocky downhills.  I don’t bounce back as quick as I used to, but it’s all worth it.  Now that I’m retired, I get to ride more often and mid week, which is the best time to go.  And I have more discretionary income to put into it, which is nice.  I ride with a couple of guys in their mid 70s.

wow in their 70s!? How are they doing out int he trails with you! Glad there are older gentleman still rocking this sport! My big fear is just I wont be able to ride when I get older, guess you guys are proving me wrong!

• Like 1

They are doing remarkably well.  Both are former desert racers, so they have a lot of experiences.  I hope I can ride as well as them 12 years from now.

There are a lot of guys that ride well into their 60s and 70s.  Absent a debilitating injury, there is no reason you can’t have another 30 years to enjoy.  When I get hurt, it seems to take a little longer to heal.  And I don’t have quite the stamina I used to have, but I am riding more difficult terrain now than when I was younger, and loving it.  

If you want to see older guys still rocking it, go to an organized dual sport ride.  Seems like the average age is 50 or so, and a lot of guys in their 60s and 70s.  Those rides are too much fun.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Flagstaff said:

Lol. What I can't understand is, as I get older my bike keeps getting faster without any mods.

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1
  • Haha 1

I'm 61 and have ridden dirt since I was 11.  I'm more carefull now but really wouldn't say I've slowed down...my skills allow me to ride fast... but at 80% instead of 110%. I usually ride alone but when I do group rides I'm still one of the faster guys regardless of age.  It does suck when you crash at my age though...I'm recovering from a trip over the bars two weeks ago. The bike pile drove me into a rock...shoulder first. I didn't break anything but lost the use of my left arm for a few weeks (I can barely lift it). Sucks cause it's perfect riding weather right now!

• Like 6

I'm in my mid 40s.  I'm not as fast as I was 10 years ago: a desk job and culmination of old football injuries are starting to take their toll.  But I don't hit the ground as much as I used to either, so that is somewhat of a positive to offset the negative.

Still go out trail riding with my dad at his pace since he is in his early 70s and using some aftermarket titanium parts in his hip and leg.  I shortened his KTM 200 a few years ago so it is easier for him to swing his bad leg over the seat when he is on the side of a mountain.  His depth perception is starting to get a little hazy, so we are avoiding the goat trails with sheer drops to one side or the other.  He also has a KLR250 that he rides all over the place when he gets bored or my mom wants him out of the house (which seems to go hand in hand).  They are moving from about 90 miles away to 6 miles away next month, so I am sure I will spend a little more time riding with him this year than I have been able to for the last few.

• Like 3