age and dirtbiking...how any of you guys are 40+

I'm 58.  I own a CRF450R I bought from a 68 yr guy still winning MX championships.   I also have a YZ250F and a 2021 FC350 to arrive.... someday ?.  The Senior classes +30 +40 +55 +60 is getting huge.  Last year during Arenacross half the population was Seniors.  A good many riders were former A and B classers whom haven't slowed down much at all.

I raced until I was 31 then quit, thinking I was getting too old but came back to my senses 4 years ago and faster actually than I was in my 20s.   I have broken more bones in the last 4 years than I have over my entire life.   Three broken ribs right now from getting landed on at Millville but I'm finding that I actually heal broken bones rather quickly.  I'll admit I (suspiciously) got on the CBD thing attempting anything to accelerate bone crosslinking.  Don't know if there is anything too it but my Dr can't believe how fast I heal fractures... so I'm sticking with it.

41 minutes ago, Whopharded said:

Don't know if there is anything too it but my Dr can't believe how fast I heal fractures... so I'm sticking with it.

I don't use CBD, but Dr told me the same thing.  Ha! Maybe it's the coffee??  Or all the milk I had as a kid due to grandad having a dairy?  79 and still riding.  Rode 60 years without breaking a bone,  but broke a small bone in my hand and a bottom rib last year.   Took some ibuprofen and rode 40 miles back to the truck.  Seems like I don't feel pain like I used to.  When can no longer ride a bike, it will be a jeep with air conditioning.   

A friend saw a guy in Michigan last year that may set a record.  He was still riding the trails at 91 years of age.  SO, KEEP ON RIDING!

• Like 5
  • Helpful 1

44,  mostly trail ride and dual sports.   Did my first hare scramble race when I was 40.  

got into vintage stuff last few years.....Sunday doing a vintage hare scramble,  Bike and rider are the same age.  

My son is 14, and is now faster then me.  We just upsized his bike from a KX100, to a 250,  so.....He gone 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I'm a firm believer we all need a relief valve of sorts and getting on a bike and letting it rip works for me. By the time i hit 3rd gear I start to wonder "what was it that was bothering me?"

61 and have been battling for the State title the other "old guys" piss me off as everytime we race its just as bad as when I was 30 I hate those guys! ? I did get a state title finally!

• Like 6
  • Helpful 2

6 hours ago, Whopharded said:

I'm 58.  I own a CRF450R I bought from a 68 yr guy still winning MX championships.   I also have a YZ250F and a 2021 FC350 to arrive.... someday ?.  The Senior classes +30 +40 +55 +60 is getting huge.  Last year during Arenacross half the population was Seniors.  A good many riders were former A and B classers whom haven't slowed down much at all.

I raced until I was 31 then quit, thinking I was getting too old but came back to my senses 4 years ago and faster actually than I was in my 20s.   I have broken more bones in the last 4 years than I have over my entire life.   Three broken ribs right now from getting landed on at Millville but I'm finding that I actually heal broken bones rather quickly.  I'll admit I (suspiciously) got on the CBD thing attempting anything to accelerate bone crosslinking.  Don't know if there is anything too it but my Dr can't believe how fast I heal fractures... so I'm sticking with it.

Go full spectrum. Way better, cbd can't activate all the body's endocanabinoid receptors by itself, THC and the other related phenolic compounds and flavanoids are the conduit for the cbd to be more effective. Plus it makes you feel real groovy baby yeah. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, BPPerformance said:

I'm a firm believer we all need a relief valve of sorts and getting on a bike and letting it rip works for me. By the time i hit 3rd gear I start to wonder "what was it that was bothering me?"

61 and have been battling for the State title the other "old guys" piss me off as everytime we race its just as bad as when I was 30 I hate those guys! ? I did get a state title finally!

Several of us were talking the other day about how guys our speed or slower are all super cool bros and those real fast guys are all dickheads.?

Edited by BetaCuck
  • Haha 2

On 1/21/2019 at 7:10 AM, RWW enduro said:

I still show no sign of slowing down, still workout everyday and try to ride 2 or 3x a week (not recent due to snow/ice and house work) but my obsession with trail riding has been around since an early age. Now picking up dirtbiking at a later age (30s) wonder how long I can take a beating and fall till I cant any more lol. Truly love this sport and dam I hate I was not introduced to it at an earlier age. With me in my 30s, I wonder how I will be in my 40s, 50s even 60s! I know, a while to go, but the day will come....hopefully

Curious how you "older" fellas feel? Still going? need to take it easier on lighter trails, etc?

Everone in my family rides most off them calm down on the dirt at 60 ...don’t won’t to break a hip lol serious ....my dad tryed  switching to a atv at 64 from dirtbikes ...thinking it would be safer ...he rolled it on himself ...got hurt 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Doom22 said:

Everone in my family rides most off them calm down on the dirt at 60 ...don’t won’t to break a hip lol serious ....my dad tryed  switching to a atv at 64 from dirtbikes ...thinking it would be safer ...he rolled it on himself ...got hurt 

I could have saved him some pain and told him as fact that quads are far more dangerous than a bike. Other than on private property, and some MX tracks, they're illegal here in my state. Sports quads that is.

When I sold mine, I had a list of people that put dibbs on it. I was very careful who I sold it to. I didn't want to be responsible for anyone's death. Seriously. Even the person I chose to sell it to lost his mind on it and got hurt, he's just sold it again.
At the time I bought it, it was the fastest accelerating quad on the planet. Notice the rear tires? Anymore tread than that it hooked up too much. The thing really put the power to the ground.
I sold it before I killed myself. It was way too much fun.
Was brand new in the pic. I ended up spending a lot on after market parts, things add up real quick on quads.

As they say "You don't stop riding because you get old. You get old because you stop riding". Pass that on to ya old man ?. Actually, I'll add an inspiration vid for you to show him. The best part is the Dr's comments about being a rider himself.
60's the new 40 :D. He's not old until he's at least 80.
Love this video. Great work on that one in particular @OZ DRZ & Traction E-Rag ?

Picture001.jpg

Edited by Drop-Bear

63. Got back into riding about 2 years ago. Primarily single track. I  wear all the equipment and so far only cracked a couple ribs, they heal. Not giving this up but considering getting an ADV bike to go with my Husky TE

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, sracer said:

63. Got back into riding about 2 years ago. Primarily single track. I  wear all the equipment and so far only cracked a couple ribs, they heal. Not giving this up but considering getting an ADV bike to go with my Husky TE

Consider how good this would look sitting in the garage next to the TE :devil:

You know ya want one .....

Image_Page_12.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Drop-Bear said:

I could have saved him some pain and told him as fact that quads are far more dangerous than a bike. Other than on private property, and some MX tracks, they're illegal here in my state. Sports quads that is.

When I sold mine, I had a list of people that put dibbs on it. I was very careful who I sold it to. I didn't want to be responsible for anyone's death. Seriously. Even the person I chose to sell it to lost his mind on it and got hurt, he's just sold it again.
At the time I bought it, it was the fastest accelerating quad on the planet. Notice the rear tires? Anymore tread than that it hooked up too much. The thing really put the power to the ground.
I sold it before I killed myself. It was way too much fun.
Was brand new in the pic. I ended up spending a lot on after market parts, things add up real quick on quads.

As they say "You don't stop riding because you get old. You get old because you stop riding". Pass that on to ya old man ?. Actually, I'll add an inspiration vid for you to show him. The best part is the Dr's comments about being a rider himself.
60's the new 40 :D. He's not old until he's at least 80.
Love this video. Great work on that one in particular @OZ DRZ & Traction E-Rag ?

Picture001.jpg

I have fast quads also LOL. After my dad rolled his quad. I was hit by a Utv On my banshee. probably could avoided the head Collision if I was on a dirtbike. I haven’t taken it out since being fixed. My dad still rides at E bike i’m trying to convince him to get a KTM 200. And sell the quad....I’m trying to transition my kids off  Atvs so they don’t hurt themselves right now. It’s hard because we’re near Pismo ... The little dirt bikes dont do good there....Do you think that predator would take my banshee LOL

AD0096F2-A2BB-4331-91D6-C9C0FDF98B52.jpeg

663B09A7-6FDF-43FF-9272-A38631F49FF6.jpeg

Edited by Doom22
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Doom22 said:

I have fast quads also LOL. After my dad rolled his quad. I was hit by a Utv On my banshee. probably could avoided the head Collision if I was on a dirtbike. I haven’t taken it out since being fixed. My dad still rides at E bike i’m trying to convince him to get a KTM 200. And sell the quad....I’m trying to transition my kids off  Atvs so they don’t hurt themselves right now. It’s hard because we’re near Pismo ... The little dirt bikes dont do good there....Do you think that predator would take my banshee LOL

AD0096F2-A2BB-4331-91D6-C9C0FDF98B52.jpeg

663B09A7-6FDF-43FF-9272-A38631F49FF6.jpeg

Easily. Having the IRS is cheating on a quad. Then you have the KTM RFS 525cc power plant. All the local quad riders here got Outlaw IRS's after I got mine. They hook up like you would not believe. Scary fast for off road/woods. 
It's way too easy to get your ambitions mixed up with your ability on a quad ☠️

A new 300 TPI would make your life a lot easier. Doesn't look like you'll be giving the riding away any time soon. Get one now and get better value from it. No more mucking around with tuning etc, just ride.
TPI is perfect for people like yourself. 

1 minute ago, Drop-Bear said:

Easily. Having the IRS is cheating on a quad. Then you have the KTM RFS 525cc power plant. All the local quad riders here got Outlaw IRS's after I got mine. They hook up like you would not believe. Scary fast for off road/woods. 
It's way too easy to get your ambitions mixed up with your ability on a quad ☠️

A new 300 TPI would make your life a lot easier. Doesn't look like you'll be giving the riding away any time soon. Get one now and get better value from it. No more mucking around with tuning etc, just ride.
TPI is perfect for people like yourself. 

Bro just invested in a 06 ktm 300...sure you seen posts ....sold a drz 400e for it ....but I still got the banshee that shits so fun ...but dangerous ...I jump that thing way higher then I’ve done on a dirtbike....and have taken on the sketchy trail...rolled it once...no damage ...got hit by the Utv ...sold the drz got the 300 back to dirt biking .... I’m actually hiding in a bush right now from the kids ...banshee I’m still keeping for some sand rides ...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Doom22 said:

Bro just invested in a 06 ktm 300...sure you seen posts ....sold a drz 400e for it ....but I still got the banshee that shits so fun ...but dangerous ...I jump that thing way higher then I’ve done on a dirtbike....and have taken on the sketchy trail...rolled it once...no damage ...got hit by the Utv ...sold the drz got the 300 back to dirt biking .... I’m actually hiding in a bush right now from the kids ...banshee I’m still keeping for some sand rides ...

Yeah, I was more just getting back on topic after my quad derailment :D

EDIT: Thought I was in another thread. Oops ?

Edited by Drop-Bear