RideWithWill

age and dirtbiking...how any of you guys are 40+

14 minutes ago, I'm trying said:

42T on the back is pretty high for offroad trails. Did you mean 52? 

Stock is 14/40. I heard that 13/42 is a popular combo but might still be high. On my old 125's I believe I ran 13/48. But that was in my previous life as a teenager. 😁

12 minutes ago, pounder35 said:

Stock is 14/40. I heard that 13/42 is a popular combo but might still be high. On my old 125's I believe I ran 13/48. But that was in my previous life as a teenager. 😁

If that's what is popular for that bike, then I say try it out and see how you like it. I run 13/48 on my cr250r. But considering internal gear ratios and engine character and the type of riding you'll do you might like it. I know what I run and even lower13/52T is popular for offroad/single track.

Here's a link to a ratio calculator.

http://sprocketcalculator.com/

4 hours ago, MXR said:

I’m 46... and I feel faster than I did when I was 26. My back does hurt sometimes and I need to take ibuprofen after a long ride, but I can hold my own.

Suggestion - Try taking it ahead of time.  The days I ride, I take it right away with breakfast.  (It's hard on an empty stomach) It lasts 6 to 8 hrs. for me but takes a couple of hours to really start working.  Another thing, the doc told me to try IBU800's.  It's the same as 4 over the counter tabs.  Read the "possible side effects" though.  Long term can actually be hard on the heart.  Can't win!

• Like 2

I’m 37 trying to get back into dirt after 10 years off. I’ve been riding street for past 5 years. Malibu is amazing for canyon riding and there are some great tracks within a few hours. I’ve gotten decent... I ride A pace on track days and am probably mid pace in the fast group. 

Now im hoping I’m not to old to get proficient at hitting some MX tracks. My friend is in his late 40’s and incredible on dirt and street so I’m hoping I can follow his footsteps. 

I stay pretty fit fit but I have some bad habits at the same time, soo... 

• Like 2

HA! I'm so old and senile that I may have posted here before, and forgot it.  But in case I haven't, I'm 77 and still woods/ trail riding.  Took a 30 year time out, but 9 years ago came back to it.  Recently got a new Beta 125 rrs and put a 183 big bore kit in it.  But it has been so cold I haven't been able to get out to a good place and really give it the test.  But just riding it around my shop and in the pasture it feels good.  Have been making 2 trips west to ride for the past 6 years.  Moab in the spring, and Rocky mountains in the fall.  My riding friends are 45 to 75 years of age.

KEEP ON RIDING!!

• Like 7

11 hours ago, Weezer the Geezer said:

HA! I'm so old and senile that I may have posted here before, and forgot it.  But in case I haven't, I'm 77 and still woods/ trail riding.  Took a 30 year time out, but 9 years ago came back to it.  Recently got a new Beta 125 rrs and put a 183 big bore kit in it.  But it has been so cold I haven't been able to get out to a good place and really give it the test.  But just riding it around my shop and in the pasture it feels good.  Have been making 2 trips west to ride for the past 6 years.  Moab in the spring, and Rocky mountains in the fall.  My riding friends are 45 to 75 years of age.

KEEP ON RIDING!!

Well that's got me inspired. I'm loading up the bike and hitting the dirt in about an hour. Well I hope I'm not actually hitting the dirt. ☹️😁. Here's a drone photo of a MX course I shot a while back. I'll be riding in that area today.Not on the MX course but surrounding trails and dirt roads. 

Ole_Noah's_MX_1.png

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, pounder35 said:

Well that's got me inspired. I'm loading up the bike and hitting the dirt in about an hour. Well I hope I'm not actually hitting the dirt. ☹️😁. Here's a drone photo of a MX course I shot a while back. I'll be riding in that area today.Not on the MX course but surrounding trails and dirt roads. 

Ole_Noah's_MX_1.png

I don't mind riding an MX course - but I can't hit it like I used to, or it will hit back.  In my mind, I know exactly how I should do the track.  My body says "sorry, can't do THAT any more".

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, motoxvet said:

I don't mind riding an MX course - but I can't hit it like I used to, or it will hit back.  In my mind, I know exactly how I should do the track.  My body says "sorry, can't do THAT any more".

I might make a few laps if it's not crowded. The track is open for practice. No double jumps though. At least not yet. I've got 40 years of rust to chip off the old body. I'm going to take it slow for now. 

• Like 2

Suggestion - Try taking it ahead of time.  The days I ride, I take it right away with breakfast.  (It's hard on an empty stomach) It lasts 6 to 8 hrs. for me but takes a couple of hours to really start working.  Another thing, the doc told me to try IBU800's.  It's the same as 4 over the counter tabs.  Read the "possible side effects" though.  Long term can actually be hard on the heart.  Can't win!
Make sure your effectively stretching/warming up before you start the ride.
  • Like 2

On 2/14/2019 at 4:37 PM, pounder35 said:

I'm 61 and just got on a dirt bike for the first time in 40 years. 2015 Honda CRF250L. Saturday will be my first real day in the dirt. I just finished removing the rear fender light/tag assembly. Last night I removed the mirrors and front signal lights. Now it looks like a dirt bike and I have less chance of snagging myself on unneeded hardware during the upcoming crashes. They're going to happen. No sense being in denial. 🙂

If you catch the bug, be damn sure to get serious about being physically fit. It’s important and it doesn’t come quick or easy. Buy and wear gear to protect yourself. Every injury avoided is time, money and pain saved. 

• Like 3

Bought two bikes yesterday. Fe450 and fx350. Drove about 400 miles around the state with my son to get the new rides. We drove by some of the awesome ride areas of Washington state. I’m going to have a couple of amazing bikes after they are tuned up and farkled. 

Especially excited about the fx350 that is replacing my 300. Can’t believe I’m entering my fifth summer of riding this year. 

BF5F0E6A-2113-4810-B080-FD51B4D5E710.jpeg.d55cb1cf74ede3c0e6fef020f30cd514.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TigerTanker said:

Bought two bikes yesterday. Fe450 and fx350. Drove about 400 miles around the state with my son to get the new rides. We drove by some of the awesome ride areas of Washington state. I’m going to have a couple of amazing bikes after they are tuned up and farkled. 

Especially excited about the fx350 that is replacing my 300. Can’t believe I’m entering my fifth summer of riding this year. 

Does your son ride with you?

Wow! Popular topic indeed.good to see so many people still hooked on riding.

25 minutes ago, 04 wr450 said:

Wow! Popular topic indeed.good to see so many people still hooked on riding.

Yep, and like myself, there are several out there who think they are too old.  I had "graduated" to a jeep, and thought for years I was too old for a bike.  Then when 68, I saw some 70 year old guys riding In Moab.  Went home and started looking for a bike!

If any of you are "elderly" and still riding, see if there is a publication for older people in your area.  They are often looking for stories about old people doing unusual things.  I did a story for 2 publications in Wichita, and revived interest in several people.  One was a 70 year old woman who rode motocross back in the day.   KEEP ON RIDING!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Gflo said:

Does your son ride with you?

No. He is 14 and I think the bikes intimidate him.  Once he grows, I’ll try again. But, he helps me build singletrack in the woods and is a good boy. 

• Like 1

65 years old started riding my first motorcycle at age 12 . Just sold my 92 Suzuki RMX last fall and now have a 2003 KAWASAKI KLX400R ( green suzuki drz400E ). Right now riding snowmobiles winter here in CANADA ! Also ride street bikes have a 1983 Suzuki GS750T. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, TigerTanker said:

Wow! Beautiful location and bike. I survived about 20 miles or so in the mud today. The new knobby on the front helped a lot. The dual sport tire that came on the bike ain't a dirt tire. It looks like a knobby but that's about it. I got into a few situations but remembered my old saying. "When it doubt, gas it". The power band on the bike is great but I'm putting on a 13T next week to replace the 14T front sprocket. Met some great guys today that are willing to be patient with a slow new guy. I feel some of the instincts and reactions coming back from 40 years ago. Two finger clutch and front brake and shifting my weight and spending time out of the saddle when needed over the rough stuff. I'm having the time of my life so far. Oh, 2015 Honda CRF250L. No longer street legal. Only the headlight assembly remains. Who needs mirrors and signal lights when you're playing in the dirt. Or mud like today. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pounder35 said:

Wow! Beautiful location and bike. I survived about 20 miles or so in the mud today. The new knobby on the front helped a lot. The dual sport tire that came on the bike ain't a dirt tire. It looks like a knobby but that's about it. I got into a few situations but remembered my old saying. "When it doubt, gas it". The power band on the bike is great but I'm putting on a 13T next week to replace the 14T front sprocket. Met some great guys today that are willing to be patient with a slow new guy. I feel some of the instincts and reactions coming back from 40 years ago. Two finger clutch and front brake and shifting my weight and spending time out of the saddle when needed over the rough stuff. I'm having the time of my life so far. Oh, 2015 Honda CRF250L. No longer street legal. Only the headlight assembly remains. Who needs mirrors and signal lights when you're playing in the dirt. Or mud like today. 

Front tire.... There is only one. 

GT Fatty, end of story. Try one, you'll understand. 

If you want to get good? Try going as slow as you possibly can doing (tight) figure 8's standing on the pegs.... back and forth, clockwise, counterclockwise. You'll learn how to apply throttle, use your balance, how to properly weight shift, how to avoid using your feet. You can only do tight 8's if your technique is good. Nice part is, you can do this in your driveway. This technique will get rid of the horrible bad habit of leaning into a turn...instead your body will move away from the turn. 

Also, learn to put your right heel on the peg so you can tap down on your rear brake. Do not have that right foot with ball of foot on peg. You need to brake without effort, that is why the heel should be on the peg. That little move made me much much faster. Because I could ride fast into the turn without fear. 

On Wednesday I'll have been off my bike for 2 weeks..... ugh....This weather we have of snow.... not helping....

• Like 2