DonO

2017 CRF450R disappointing bike, first time ever

SM,

For the most part the OP (Me, Me, Me) is keeping it on track ( you know most threads, minus the political BS one's, on TT go off topic!!!)

ED,

I'm hoping this will be it for the repairs on the bike. If not then she/he/it (gotta be PC these frikkin days:jawdrop::jawdrop:) is a goner!!!

I'm off Satellite blvd about 3 miles west of I-95, dirt road (yes N of SR520). Had me a small circle/fig 8 track, w/1 jump in my back yard (little over an acre) for a while.

Do you remember a track down off I-95 and Eau Galle blvd (I rode it when I first got here in '90), rode the pits off Murrell Rd (Rockledge) too.

Used to ride Brown/Brushy like 1/year and also Durhamtown and Highland park (when I was big into MX and HS's years ago) so I know what its all about. Tooled around all over the SE when I was just a bit younger. I can claim that I rode every MX track in the state of FL at one time back then!!! (some had gone under but I still went out and rode them - abandoned!!!)

Edited by DonO

Yes, Murrell and Barnes, it was on Barnes. I rode my bike all the way from Merritt Island to there on the sides of the roads with the Can Am back when I was 16... No to Eau Gallie. Did you ride a track in Crestview, east of Pensacola of I-10?

I joined the Navy and left Merritt Is in 76 though my parents lived there till they died. I don't go back much anymore though I have step parents there. Good memories though.

ED,

I rode one I think it used to be called Mossy ??? (this was totally vacant and over grown way back when and had an old style cracker house sitting at the entrance, out in the middle of nowhere) and then there was another one that was down a dirt rode and was like in a clay pit area (don't remember the name). Rode Panama city one as well.

Used to ride, as a kid, our minibikes in a pit not far from my parents house off Jackson St. we tried climbing vertical runs up clay cliffs on minibikes (DOH!!)

Exactly for both. But in the early 80's. The Crestview track was open. I know the clay pit place too, I'd go there just to play. Riding a RM400 back then though I had the Can Am still and a Yamaha 125 for my to be wife. I was living on Perdido Bay just before the bridge to Lillian, seemed there were lots of great trails back then.

Evan

3 hours ago, DonO said:

ED,

I rode one I think it used to be called Mossy ??? (this was totally vacant and over grown way back when and had an old style cracker house sitting at the entrance, out in the middle of nowhere) and then there was another one that was down a dirt rode and was like in a clay pit area (don't remember the name). Rode Panama city one as well.

Used to ride, as a kid, our minibikes in a pit not far from my parents house off Jackson St. we tried climbing vertical runs up clay cliffs on minibikes (DOH!!)

I have a 17 CRF450RX that I bought with 77hrs on it and it has been a great bike. No problems. I ride aprox 50 days a year, all of them in mode 3. I like the snappy bottom end. I did install a Magura juice clutch, as I did not like the cable clutch. I will probably install new plates this spring. Clutch is holding up well riding with spiked tires this winter.

Hxr650R,

Both the mechanic (like I stated above he has worked on every bike I've had for a long time!!) and me think I got a bad assy'd bike since he was like no way should that top end have looked like that, especially as me the rider!!! (he said laughing pretty good)

Anyhow new top end did well this past W/E so time will tell what else happens.

I can say the Hinson clutch assy is nice and performs well for me.

After reading this and other top end/rebuild posts I started to doubt myself (I will never do that again) about my service and decided to tear it down. After 126 hours of Moto,hare scrambles and Enduro riding here is what I found: valves STILL haven't worn,piston is worn but ok, cylinder walls look mint,and exhaust packing good as new. Wet last season in New England and I did roughly 17 events in the A Sr class. Bike never faultered.

IMG_20190224_154022852.jpg

• Like 1